Join our zoo community

New Zooguidebooks

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Zebraduiker, 19 Jul 2008.

Tags:
  1. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

There have been three out this year (only with minor changes to them)

Lion
    Amur Leopard
    Ring tailed Lemur

2. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

The Shedd Aquarium offers a new Guidebook in its Onlineshop. It looks very good, but isn't cheap, it costs $ 19.95. Before I order it, I want to know more about this Guidebook. Does Anyone has it already and can tell me more about it ?

Does have the Georgia Aquarium a new guidebook in the meantime, or is the 2009 edition with the loggerhead turtle still on Sale ? I guess, they will have a new guidebook after the opening of the upcoming dolphin exhibit.

3. Tarsius

Are there 2010 guidebooks for Kopenhagen and Leipzig Zoo ? If yes, whats on the covers ?

Thanks !

4. Tarsius

Got today the 2010 guidebook of South Lakes Wild Animalpark. But there is one mistake, it's not the 16th edition, it is the 13th edition. This mistake comes fromt he last years 15th Anniversary edition, I think, the people which made the 2010 guidebook thought now, it is the 16th edition.

Nevertheless, again a very good and informative guidebook of a zoo, with a nice collection, so now with giant river otter, tayra and lowland paca.:)

Attached Files:

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

The Tayra have not arrived yet as far as I know!!

6. Tarsius

Intersting, but they are already in the guidebook !

7. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Recently picked up some recent guides, all available from tiergarten.com - The online-shop of Schüling Buchkurier...

this year's Berlin guides - Ivo the gorilla is on the cover for the zoo, a painting of yellow-footed rock wallabies on the cover of the Tierpark's. Neither guide represents a change in direction - good!

Also, Heidelberg have a rather unsatisfactory guide, with brown bears on the cover.

And Schwerin have a horrible thing, with a dire collage on the front (alpaca, lemur, macaw, tiger, ugly child). No map in this guide. Rather poor. But at least, unlike too many zoos - notably Cologne and Hamburg - they have made a guide.

I think Rheine has a new guide too, but I have not yet been able to get a copy.

8. Tarsius

Yes, the Schwerin guidebook is absolutly uniteresting. Rheine has published in 2009 a new guidebook, see attached picture.

Best Guidebook I've got this year is the 2010 edition of the Kaiyukan aquarium Oasaka, unfortunately, only in japanese.

What british zoos and aquariums does have new 2010 guidebook except Howletts, Bewdley, London,Whipsnade and Colchester ?

Attached Files:

9. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Marwell had a new one for 2010, though it was a bit crap if you ask me. :( Though they plan now to bring out new guides annually.

10. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

I do wish Shaldon Zoo in Devon would publish a guidebook. To the best of my knowledge, it never has. But it should. It's only a small zoo, one of the smallest in the UK, but punching well above its weight in terms of what it does for conservation. I presume the lack of a guidebook is down to economic practicalities.

11. zooman1

zooman1 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does any one know if any uk zoos have new guides for this year might be a bit early tho

12. Tarsius

Therer are 2011 guides for Marwell and Thrighby Hall Wildlife Park.

For germany, Springe Wild Animal Park has a 2011 guidebook, and also brandnew, Neunkirchen Zoo, the first guidebook after 40 Years !

13. Tarsius

A Question for the New Zealand Members, what about new guidebooks for the National Aquarium Napier, Auckland and Wellington Zoo ?

14. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

-Auckland Zoo stopped doing guide books, although Im not quite sure what your definition of a guide book is, they were pretty minimal, in maybe 2005? Since then they have just had maps, which you have to pay for.

-I have never seen guidebooks at Wellington Zoo when I have visited (last 12 years or so), although I know they have had them before that. They just have free maps now.

-Not too sure about the National Aquarium, only been there once, and pretty sure there was no guide book, probably just a map.

The only New Zealand zoo to currently produce a guide book, as far as I know, is Hamilton Zoo, but like Aucklands most recent attempt, its pretty basic. Orana Park just hands out a map, but you can buy a souvenir booklet in the shop, not really a guide book though.

15. zooman1

Is there any new guide books for any uk zoos this year so far apart from Marwells one does any one know

16. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head there is a new guidebook from the following UK collections this year so far,Colchester Zoo,Wingham Wildlife park,Howletts,Banham Zoo,Martin Mere WWT and Blackpool Zoo.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2011
  17. zooman1

thank you zoogiraffe

18. Tarsius

New Guidebooks for London Zoo ( Diving penguin on the cover ) and Whipsnade ( Giraffehead on the cover )

Who was to spain recently and knows, if the Oceanografic in Valencia, and Barcelona Aquarium and Madrid Zoo have new Guidebooks ?

19. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Valencia: a spiral-bound Spanish one, with the entrance building on the front; various foreign languages, with a beluga on the front. I'm not sure if either of these is at all new.

Madrid Zoo: nothing! Although at the entrance a sign did say "guide: €4.50". They do charge 60 c for a map, though.

20. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

New Guidebook for Knowsley Safari Park too - 40th Anniversary year so if you have a car registered 1990 or before you can get in at 1971 prices on the 23rd & 24th July that's a whole £1...

blow the dust off the Roller Jeeves we're taking her for a spin....!!