Join our zoo community

News 2009 for zoos in Netherlands

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Maxime, 26 Oct 2009.

1. Maxime

Maxime Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What are the news in 2009 for zoos in Netherlands ?

Diergaarde Blijdorp Rotterdam --> Colobus, spotted hyenas, servals exhibits in african zone near giraffes, maybe a new aviary for marabus and vultures.

Dierenpark Amersfoort : After the females house (The largest in the country, enlargement (3000 m²) of the asian elephant exhibit with a new enclosure and stall for the bull

Dierenrijk bij Eindhoven : Pelican Aviary, orang-utan\asiatic lions\indian rhinoceroses for the 5 next years ?

But what are the projects of the others big zoos ?

Thank you in advance !

2. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Maybe a second bonobo group in next seven years.

3. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not many zoo's have created major things, as far as i can remember.

Artis: Started the major project of putting their (rather small allready) parking facility underground and thus getting more room on ground level for the zoo. Won't be finished untill 2012? or later. Spectacled bear Franka left the Zoo, leaving it bear-less (not that bad idea with only small bear-grotto's) and the orangs left the Zoo.

Safaripark Beekse Bergen: As far as i can remember, a few new smaller aviary's for goliath herons and rollers?

Dierenpark Amersfoort: Just opened their new stables for female asiatic elephants. After creating a small but decent bull-stable not that long ago, the females have a new stable. I've seen it last week, it isn't all that big, but it's decent sized and very nicely build, with glass all around and thus a lot of natural lighting. There are no major further plans that I am aware of.

Ouwehands Rhenen: Creation of a new penguin-enclosure. This was very needed as the old enclosure was a bit of a eye-sore. The new one is not the flashiest in the world, but very decent for a small flock. The leopards (both normal and snow) left the zoo, and their old and ugly enclosures are torn down. This, together with the pinguin enclosure opens up free land for, RUMOUR, a male gorilla group.

Emmen: Acquired planning permission to completely move the park over to a new location on the edge of town. Construction starting soon (if it hasn't allready started...).

Apenheul: As far as i know, they created a new high-rise walkway and covered one of the monkey-enclosures with a netting to add birds. they are strictly bound to a maximum number of m2 of roofed buildings that is allowed, because they are in a government owned park. They therefore are moving their office outside the park to a new location so get some more m2 for the animal enclosures.

Gaiapark: Opened the new play-dome with a dinosaur theme. During the next (two?) years, lions are next on the planning.

Burgers': Are going to exist 100 years in 2012? if i'm correct, and according to rumours they would like the park to look "finished" at that point in time, so there weren't major plans. But since the orangs are moving soon, leaving quite a gap in the zoo, i doubt they would leave it like it for two more years. Speculations on the dutch forums are therefor high (and so are the suggestions of what they should build :) ) but nothing's official.

Harderwijk: Nothing new, nothing being planned.

Avifauna: Rebuild a small building to function as a night-exhibit for kiwi, and is now opened and doing nicely. As far as i know, nothing else changed and there's not much on the planning...

Dierenrijk: Large aviary on the planning, small red panda exhibit opened in 2009.

The Zodiac-zoos are ever evolving, creating smaller exhibits and small islands for smaller mammals. I can try and remember some if theres a request...

Blijdorp is always building something. This year, they completed the "onion" giraffestables and the crocodile-greenhouse. Construction on the serval and colobus exhibit has finally started (after a huge tug-of-war with the monument-service), but isn't progressing very fast. I'm not sure what the next plans are, really... but others here are bound to know more.

Think that was it?