Join our zoo community

Monde Sauvage News from Monde Sauvage

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Nisha, 29 Sep 2012.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you for the updates.

I am probably going to put a revisit to this place on my list for later this year, I haven't been there for a long time and there have been some interesting developments and additions.

2. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

They also want to include the south-american carsafari into the walkingsafari. They expect to be ready by Easter for this update.

Kifaru Bwana and KevinB like this.
  3. KevinB

A new viewing area for the African savanna area part of the car safari has been added to the walking safari.

Facebook Laafsekikkers

4. KevinB

The park recently announced the female brushtail possum has a joey in her pouch.

Kifaru Bwana and Haliaeetus like this.
  5. KevinB

Last edited: 15 Jun 2022
    Max Blundell likes this.
  6. KevinB

Next Tuesday the 12-year old male orangutan Batak will be transferred from Wilhelmina Stuttgart to Monde Sauvage.

Login • Instagram

Tiger, Gil and twilighter like this.
  7. KevinB

Haliaeetus likes this.
  8. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So does Monde Sauvage still have elephants? I was checking the website and the facebook page of MS and I can't find elephants on the website or on their facebook banner which seens to show all the charismatic species.

9. KevinB

They don't have elephants anymore, their elephants moved to Planète Sauvage in Port-Saint-Père, France (despite the name not a related facility) earlier this year.

For the better though, the African elephant exhibit at Monde Sauvage wasn't exactly great.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2022
    PossumRoach and Haliaeetus like this.
  10. Moorhunhe

Moorhunhe Well-Known Member

I've never been here, and it's only about an hour from where my parents live *how dare I not have been, lol*.

Is the walking safari good to see everything too? Or would you really need to do the driving part to get to see all the animals?

11. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You can see allmost all the animals by walking. You might be unlucky a species is on the other side of the driving part then the walking path, but after an hour or two you might find them closeby. Only some camels aren't visible and they have yak and kiang to but even from the safari theu aren't visible verry well neither.

12. Moorhunhe

Moorhunhe Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    I've put this one on our list for when we are in Belgium in May, but we drive a motorbike, so that ain't an option, lol. But if you can see everything walking, that's great!

Valvas likes this.
  13. Valvas

Valvas Active Member 5+ year member

They are even doing some adjustments in recent years to accomodate for guests who can't drive through the safari. Only last year, the South American area was transitioned from a car area to a walking area, and they they made a new walking way to make the rhinos better visible for people on foot.

Moorhunhe likes this.
  14. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zootierliste lists White-tailed Jay and Black-headed Parrot / Black-capped Caique at Monde Sauvage. Are they really there and where and when can they be best seen?

15. KevinB

The listing at ZTL dates back to 2019 and I don't think this species is on show at Monde Sauvage anymore, I did not see this species or any signage for it during my visit in May.

Jurek7 likes this.
  16. GalenMarek

GalenMarek Well-Known Member

Le Monde Sauvage d'Aywaille will have new owners in the near future.
    An investment group from Liege (Belgium) called Sodaphi is in the "closing deal" phase of the acquisition process. The company managing "Le Puy du Fou" in France was in competition.
    Initially, Sodaphi considered the creation of a new zoo in Wallonia but found it easier to start with an existing structure. Their "long-term" goals are:
    - Increasing the animal welfare
    - Within two years, open an Asian area (according to Sodaphi CEO, the animals are already there)
    - Hotel and accommodation but not necessarily "on-site"

More info could be found (in French) here: https://www.lecho.be/entreprises/di...lle-va-etre-rachete-par-sodaphi/10498661.html

IMHO: the biggest challenge will be animal welfare and renewing all the habitats

End of August, the zoo welcomed two Eurasian lynx. The Amur Leopards have an extended enclosure (they merged their old one with the tiger one). Tiger(s) are not visible anymore (probably dead - I can't find related info)

Perseus6 and KevinB like this.
  17. KevinB

Do you by any chance know in which enclosure they keep the lynx? I visited back in May before arrived and I can't really work out where they might keep them.

18. GalenMarek

GalenMarek Well-Known Member

I asked my girlfriend who went there last week and she told me they are in the old Amur Leopard/Cougar enclosure.

KevinB likes this.
  19. Animallover23

Animallover23 Active Member

Is male southern white rhino Frankie and female southern white rhino Sanni/Sanni still alive???

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At Monde Sauvage 1.1 of the original rhino (M Frankie and FF Sanni and Sophie) passed away in the years 2007 or 2008. The last original rhino, a 0.1 died prior to 2012. One would have to consult an old studbook.

The new breeding group was established post 2011 with 2 cows being imported from South Africa (FF Amelie and Lucie) and the bull Heini was received from Valbrembo in 2015.

Animallover23 likes this.