Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden News From the Cincinnati Zoo 2011 #1

Discussion in 'United States' started by Kudu21, 4 Jan 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not quite sure, but is it the new Aye-aye exhibit perhaps?

2. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No thats the one across from what im talking about.

3. Kudu21

Oh, well I'm not sure then. Why not try asking the question on the zoo's Facebook page?

4. Kudu21

The Siberian Lynxes are back on the zoo's website, so they must be going back on exhibit. However, the Slender-horned Gazelles have been removed from the website.

5. Moebelle

The muellers gibbon is on the diana monkey island and the diana monkey was in the angolan colobus exhibit. I was there today i will post some photos of the cougar exhibit and from night hunters. and about the siberian lynx its in its former outdoor exhibit, where the cougars were. They might be making an exhibit from the former turkey one. it is now fenced. also the underwater viewing window of the otter exhibit was shattered to pieces. The aye-aye was up and goign never knew it was that big.

6. Kudu21

Thanks for the update! :)

Finally! The Mueller's Gibbons are back where they originally were on the island and the Asian trail is finally Asian again.

When did the Wild Turkey walk-through exhibit close? I didn't realize it had.

That's interesting about the otter viewing window. I wonder what happened? Not that it didn't need to be replaced. That window was getting old and it was quite scratched and dirty.

Nice to hear that someone has finally seen the Aye-aye! I haven't been that lucky :p

Oh! The douroucoulis have also been removed from the zoo's website.

7. Moebelle

The turkey exhibit closed last summer i think.

i bet the big storm broke the otter glass

and since when have the gibbons been on the diana monkey island in the past?

I also couldnt find the kingfisher in the jungle trails.

i finally saw the major's cockatoo

Last edited: 23 Jun 2011
  8. Kudu21

The turkey exhibit couldn't have closed last summer, as I went through the exhibit back in November ;)

Gibbons (They might not have always been Mueller's Gibbons) lived on the island when Jungle Trails opened in 1993 and lived there through the 90s and prehaps the early 2000s. I'm not exactly sure when the Diana Monkeys moved there.

9. Moebelle

oh really? Then i think it was march when got rid of them, i just wonder what they are doing to it.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2011
  10. Kudu21

I see that you've figured it out, so I'll move on to the newest news :)

Pallas? Cats Born from Artificial Insemination - The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden

11. Moebelle

Does anyone know all of the birds in the insect world so far i have, Congo Peafowl, Peruvian Pigeon, White-naped Pheasant Pigeon, and the African Pygmy Goose. i know there are 5 more species.

12. dpatters28

dpatters28 Active Member

I went to the zoo today and FINALLY saw both the aardwolf and the aye-aye. Holy crap, the aye-aye was bigger than I ever imagined!!! And it's so dark in the exhibit, it's like a shadow moving around. Very eerie and cool! I got some pictures I'll eventually load and post in the gallery.

Also, everyone needs to vote for Caspian the baby owl as "Cutest Zoo Baby" on Travel Budget.com's website! Right now he's winning, but only by a hair. Here is a link:

Vote Now for the Cutest Zoo Baby! | Travel Deals, Travel Tips, Vacation Ideas | Budget Travel

The editor of Travel Budget was on the Today Show the other morning and was totally dissing Caspian and that horse-faced Kathy Lee Gifford was agreeing with her. We need to make Cincinnati and owls everywhere proud and make sure Caspian WINS!!!!

13. Moebelle

Thats exactly what i thought about the aye-aye

14. Kudu21

The zoo is now selling paintings made by their red pandas to support red panda conservation.

http://cincinnatizoo.org/blog/2011/06/23/red-panda-paw-paintings-in-zoo-shop/

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think a lot of people are surprised how big AyeAyes really are. First one I saw was in a museum and I was really surprised too- I was expecting something squirrel-sized.

16. Moebelle

Going to the zoo tomorrow, any suggestions of what exhibits i should take pics of and post them?

Last edited: 29 Jun 2011
  17. Kudu21

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  18. Kudu21

Quoted so the videos will show for everyone.

19. dpatters28

dpatters28 Active Member

I went to the zoo today and there were a few cool changes. First of all, in place of the potto at the Afraican Jungle in Jungle Trails, there is now a weasle. I only saw it briefly cuz it was so fast, but it looks a lot like a skunk.

And Kudu, I think you'll be excited about this, the okapi is back!!! Today is only her second day on display, but she was walking around eating. I got some awesome pics of her which I will be posting in the photo section just as soon as they are uploaded.

I also got to watch the zookeepers do check ups and massages on the sea lions, which was pretty cool.

20. Kudu21

Thanks for the update, dpatters28! :)

An African Striped Weasel, or a White-naped Weasel if you prefer, by the sound of it. That's quite interesting! :) It's always nice to see more mustelids in zoos.

Haha :p I am very excited to hear that the Lisala Li's daughter is finally back on exhibit! She's been off exhibit for quite some time, so it will be great to see her again.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.