Join our zoo community

Thrigby Hall Wildlife Gardens News from Thrigby Hall

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Badgerman91, 20 Sep 2011.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't know if these cubs are related to the Black Amur Leopard they have(had?) for some time? I believe there has always been a question mark over that animal's purity(it was born at Cotswold) as it was thought Black Amur Leopards didn't occur in the wild..

I think since then a black morph has been recorded in the wild Amur leopard population- though that isn't proof of the Thrigby animal's purity of course.

2. Snowy Owl

Snowy Owl Well-Known Member

I was at Thrigby on Friday and went to see the 2 leopards being fed.

The keeper mentioned that both leopards had been with them for around 15 years with the male coming from Cricket St Thomas and the female from Cotswold, she has had 7 litters in her time there and all the cubs have been spotted. The keeper also made a point of saying that the Black Leopard was a pure breed Amur.

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They may be rare- but this is one of the commonest news headlines I seem to see on Zoochat at present!

I'm now waiting for the first 'Visayan Warty Piglets PTS' scandal...

5. Snowy Owl

Snowy Owl Well-Known Member

Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet

2 Snow Leopard cubs were born back in June.

Pictures have been posted by visitors on there Facebook page

6. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Has the black Amur leopard died as a new leopard recently arrived to the collection?

With this new arrival hopefully it wont be too long until we see leopard cubs at thrigby!!!!

7. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well they could also be holding a none breeding pair,as recommend by the studbook,not every new arrival means the patter of tiny feet!!

8. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

I am going to thrigby soon so I will find out if they are a breeding pair but I am sure they are.

9. zoogiraffe

If they are great if they aren't great as well I am really not bothered either way,I was just pointing out that not every animal move is to create a breeding pair as many people on here these days seem to think it should!!Holding none breeding pairs and single sex groups are sometimes far more important of a job than breeding!

10. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Made a return visit after over 2 years today.
    Amur leopards are not a breeding pair, black female is 18 & New male is 9. Apparently a young female has been found for him to be paired with at some point.
    Lar Gibbon born 9/4/15
    Stump tail macaques have gone. Crab eating macaques arrived from a Dutch rescue centre earlier this year.
    Got a poor view of 2 snow leopard cubs in a shelter at the back of the enclosure.
    The cage in the corner of the waterfowl area which previously held golden cat & civets in the past is currently empty.
    Cats Cloisters held single Owstons civet, golden cat, clouded leopard and European wildcat in that order, got good views of all. Particularly pleased to get to see the golden cat moving around this time.
    Edit: After posting I returned to the snow leopard enclosure just before closing and saw both cubs out of the shelter, watched them for 15 minutes or so before thought I'd better leave!

Last edited: 14 Aug 2015
  11. pipaluk

Return visit today, 13/3/16. Can't believe no-one has posted since my last visit!
    New female Amur Leopard arrived recently & currently separated from male. I assume the elderly black female has died.
    Elderly red panda(s) now in the cage by the lakes that previously held civets then golden cat.
    Cats Cloisters still holds Owston's Civet, Golden Cat, clouded leopard and wildcat, though other threads indicate the golden cat is a new arrival. It was very interested in snarling at the clouded leopard in the neighboring enclosure, which was equally showing aggression to a red panda in an off show cage behind.

12. zoogiraffe

The Golden Cat male at Thrigby is the full brother of the female at Exmoor!Both of which along with the male that is also at Exmoor were kept at Edinburgh before they went out of the species!

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

One of the most depressing of all the species-losses at Edinburgh, in my opinion.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  14. pipaluk

I agree, very glad Thrigby still have one though, and an active one too!

15. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

She came from Zoo Praha. Introductions between her and the resident male are going well (touch wood)

AdvoCat likes this.
  16. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Male Snow Leopard, Jamir (born 2015) will be moving to Atari Zoo, Finland in November

17. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I popped in here for a while today, for the first time.
    The male Amur Leopard was in with the female in the morning, but she was high up in a tree keeping her distance. They were separated by early afternoon from what I could see, with hatches closed.
    I didn't see any Clouded Leopard; Civet, Wildcat, Golden Cat and Rusty Spotted (I think) in the cloisters were all I saw.

18. littleRedPanda

Just realised that what I thought (but did suspect wasn't) was the Rusty Spotted Cat, was the Leopard Cat. Nice to see something else different, as I hadn't seen a Golden Cat previously either.

19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To the best of my recollection the collection no longer keeps Leopard Cat; if so, you will have seen the Rusty-spotted Cat after all.

20. littleRedPanda

Haha! Maybe then. I suppose the website is out of date, as I just read on there that they have Leopard Cats. I'll upload a photo in a second, which I compared to a quick google search