Join our zoo community

Weltvogelpark Walsrode news from Walsrode 2022

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Unenlagia90, 6 Jan 2022.

1. StreptopeliaNL

StreptopeliaNL Member

Last weekend I visited Walsrode and I indeed saw a pair in the big aviary in the kolibrihaus and a single female in Pukara as well.

Last year there was also a pair in the kolibrihaus but after a while the male wasn’t there anymore (died?) and the female was moved to Pukara, so my idea is that the female in Pukara is the female from last year and they introduced a new couple to the kolibrihaus this season.

Other observations:
    - In Jungle Trail I counted three yellow-green grosbeaks, they were all appearing together during feeding time on the feeding place.
    - The purple throated fruitcrow in Pukara now has a purple throat, unlike last april when it was completely black.I thought it was a female, so if that’s the case they must have a new individual on show.
    - In the Paradieshalle the Sulawesi collared kingfishers were mentioned on a sign but unfortunately they were absent.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2022
    Gil and Daniel Sörensen like this.
  2. Daniel Sörensen

Daniel Sörensen Birdlover Premium Member 5+ year member

It's been a bit more chill when it comes to new species in the past days/weeks, but another gem just got reported - Western bluebird (Sialia mexicana).
    European magpie (Pica pica pica) is now kept as well.

The Google list/sheet is updated as well and now has about 40 listed species that are new for this year, or have been kept behind the scenes and got put on show this year.
    WVP Walsrode - New species 2022

Also, Ultramarine grosbeak (Cyanoloxia brissonii) has been reported seen and photographed free-flying in the Jungle Trail recently. This is a species that is not really new to the park, but this is the first report I've seen for some years about the species being seen at the park - so maybe they got new/more individuals recently (as they also added other grosbeak species to the collection this year). Just thought that I would add this information to the thread as well.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2022
  3. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I did see some as well in Jungle Trail during my visit in early July. Very nice about the bluebirds! Bummed to have missed them by a couple of weeks.

Daniel Sörensen likes this.
  4. Daniel Sörensen

It's been a while, but I finally could visit the park again yesterday! No other new species seen though than the ones I've already mentioned in this thread before. Here are just some of my observations for anyone that is interested in keeping up with the park!

- No signs of the new aviary that they were going to build by the entrance, and nothing about a new harpy eagle either. The 60th anniversary doesn't seem to have turned into as large of an "event" as they planned.
    - Parts of Pukara are still getting renovated, but now they moved on to the sloth part of the building, so the sloths are currently housed in the indoor show building (They are renovating the leaking roof).
    - The large waterfowl aviaries by the Uhu-Burg now house birds again (they were more or less empty earlier this year because of renovations/fixes) - its mostly the same kind of species as before (Mandarin ducks, black storks, ibis, etc + turkeys).
    - There is definitely more "action" in the Jungle trail now, and there are several "new" species there that were not kept there last year, for example, chestnut-naped imperial pigeons, yellow-fronted parakeets, new grosbeaks, etc, and at least 5 species of ducks are housed there as well now.

Also, does anyone know where in the park the pair of Western bluebirds (Sialia mexicana) is housed? I really would like to see them but could not find them anywhere.

Returning to the park in some day/days again.

5. Daniel Sörensen

Just came home from another visit to the park, and today I saw two new species!
    - Malagasy turtle dove (Nesoenas picturatus)
    - Black-naped fruit dove (Ptilinopus melanospilus)
    Also, the Salmon-crested cockatoo (Cacatua moluccensis) is on show since some months back (Could only be seen behind the scenes in March/April).

I managed to find, see and photograph the Western bluebirds (Sialia mexicana) today as well! If you follow the "rundgang", it is one of the first aviaries in the park. Opposite the demoiselle cranes (In an aviary between the northern cardinals and greater roadrunners aviaries).

Photo: Western bluebird (Sialia mexicana) - ZooChat
    Species list updated: WVP Walsrode - New species 2022

Edit: Oh yeah, the renovation of Pukara progressed and they now closed off the row with aviaries on the other side of the sloth enclosure, so those aviaries are not really visible at the moment (They house for example the pompadour cotingas and carmine-fronted lory).

Last edited: 12 Sep 2022
  6. Unenlagia90

Unenlagia90 Well-Known Member

The Madagascar pond herons were not seen again:( It is such a nice species to be put on show, and Walsrode has bred them multiple times and sent birds to other zoos.

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  7. Daniel Sörensen

Not much happening at the moment, but here is a short list.

New according to zootierliste:
    Blue crane (Grus paradisea)
    White-shouldered starling (Sturnia sinensis)
    Western cattle egret (Bubulcus ibis ibis)
    Greater sulfur-crested cockatoo (Cacatua galerita)

Also, the male Indian sarus crane (Antigone antigone antigone) is back on show again.

8. Daniel Sörensen

A short update:
    During a recent visit a friend of mine saw West Indian whistling ducks (Dendrocygna arborea), also a new species. Free-ranging in the freiflughalle.
    Eurasian tawny owl (Strix aluco) also seems to be on show again (they have been off show for some years).

I also saw a photo from another friend who recently visited, which shows that they are doing construction by the entrance area. The whole aviary that earlier housed Maguari storks, white ibis, northern bald ibis, etc is gone! Could this be the start of the new aviary they were talking about earlier this year in a magazine article? It was said to be planned to be built by the entrance. (news from Walsrode 2022 [Weltvogelpark Walsrode])

I'm visiting on Monday, so if I see anything else interesting I will let you all know! ;)

Recent photo of the construction (Photo: M. Grimmig):
    [​IMG]

Old photo of the aviary (Photo: @LaughingDove):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Oct 2022
  9. Daniel Sörensen

10. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11. Daniel Sörensen

As if the Rufous-throated partridge wasn't enough, they also have hill partridges (Arborophila torqueola) now! This means that Walsrode now keeps 4 species of Arborophila!! Very rare and beautiful birds!

12. Cephie

Cephie Member 5+ year member

It has been kept for quite a few years in private hands in Europe.. it was a matter of time for this species to show up in a zoo

13. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I am eventually going to go through with long-held plans to visit Walsrode next year. What time of year is best? And would I need two days?

14. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It depends if you can handle crowds and if you like to take a lot of pictures.
    When the answer is two times "yes", then I would recommend you summer (right before or after school holidays) and 2 days.
    If you just want to get an impression of the park and wish to do some specific sights only then spring or fall is also fine and 1 day will be enough. However: Avoid weekend days.

Have you already looked for a hotel/an accomodation? If not, then I recommend you Hotel Luisenhöhe (Pescheks Hotel Luisenhöhe (Bomlitz) • HolidayCheck) which is only a few meters away from the Weltvogelpark entrance. It isn't cheap but all in all the rates are fair.

Mo Hassan and oflory like this.
  15. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I very strongly recommend two days. You won't at all struggle to fill them!

zoomaniac and oflory like this.
  16. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Agreed! Not the cheapest place but not extortionate by any means and the ultimate in bird park convenience. :)

Mo Hassan, zoomaniac and oflory like this.
  17. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Prefer no crowds and I don't take pictures. Mid-week seems like the way to go. Maybe March/April then...

The hotel sounds perfect!

zoomaniac, JurassicMax and Maguari like this.