Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo Project Next Steps?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by stulch, 10 Aug 2013.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have they released any kind of vision statement or master plan outlining what they hope to build there eventually?

I've seen concept drawings of an elaborate indoor tropical swamp with manatees and crocodiles, but I think that was for an earlier iteration of this project that never happened?

2. stulch

stulch Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm pretty sure it's earlier in the thread, either that or the gallery.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It does seem the pace of expansion and diversity of exhibits and species at TWP is increasing?

I do hope the funding drive for Giraffe Heights will become something of a catalyst!

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Curiousity caused me to pop in to Wild Place yesterday- my first visit, since about 40 years ago that is, when it was the Zoo's own private 'animal storage depot'. It seems currently a mix of Wildlife Park and Adventure Playground, owing to the very limited animal collection so far.

I saw everything bar Cheetahs, Wolves and RR Hogs( these being the no shows) in about an hour, ample time for what there is there currently, unless you have children with you to use the play facilities. They are big on immersive/ educational backdrops and theming to all the animal exhibits, and this must have cost a considerable amount of extra money.

The new Gelada exhibit reminds me rather of a scaled down version of Gorilla Island at the Zoo, but with a dry moat. The indoors looked rather unfinished, their climbing furniture seemingly comprising a couple of platforms supported by heavy metal scaffolding and metal/aluminium ladders straight from the DIY store- or was that all for maintenance?.:confused: Saw only four males, not six. Okapi calf looked very well and was suckling mum.

Overall its a very nice site, flat, with fields and woods, and surely the nearest Motorway access of any animal collection in the UK! Good potential if only they can afford to develop it bigtime in the future, though
    I did wonder if the large meadow containing the Folly tower has some sort of conservation order preventing any development in that part of the estate.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2016
  6. Pertinax

The new Okapi calf is a female called 'Ruby', (the same mother as above,) named presumably in honour of her father 'Rubani' who died in December 2015. It was an assisted birth as it was both a breech and with a rear leg malpositioned, but successful nonetheless.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm pretty sure I was told during Zoohistorica - just after Wild Place opened - that the meadow is able to be developed and that there *are* plans for it.

Can't recall for the life of me what they were though :p

8. Clunes

Clunes Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Looking at the original masterplan from around 2007, that meadow appears to be untouched by development although there does appear to be a path winding its way through the field and around the folly.

One thing hits me from looking at that original map is how amazing the plans were and how disappointing it is that it couldn't be fully funded. I still hope that the plans can be realised although looking at the map and comparing it to what it looks like today, they have clearly changed the layout of the park. I hope they will get Orangs, brown bears and the Tanzanian Savannah exhibits in time though.

Charles likes this.
  9. Max Blundell

Max Blundell Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Where can I find the Masterplan?

10. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

How about trying to do a quick search of the gallery for Bristol Zoo,and this might be a bit controversial but how about trying Google!!

11. matthew

matthew Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Work has begun to build a new housing block for the zebra and eland, in preparation for the demolition of the current former giraffe house and the building of the new one.

The Walled Garden area where the new enclosure for Dik-dik and cranes has been cleared, and levelled ready for the build.

The Pygmy goats have been given a mini paddock extension.

The Geladas have now established two groups a 2 and a 4. Interestingly reading the planning permission, this enclosure has to be returned to its original state in 10 years. Is this a condition that is regularly imposed?

12. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Fantastic!!

I went today for the first time. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it made the perfect break from the motorway (Midlands to Torquay). Highlights were the Okapi (with calf), the woodland walks and the excellent Gelada exhibit. I wish Bristol Zoo all the best and I will be returning.

13. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Okapi born 14th Nov

kiang likes this.
  14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A second this year, brilliant news

15. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very good news , a female born to Lodja and Rubani .

16. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Agreed, excellent news.

The Wild Place newsletter email states there are now 15 okapi in the UK.

I know Marwell have 2.1, London 1.1.

Wild Place have at least 2 adult females plus 2 calves ( the father of these died).

Unless Wild Place have more that means Chester have 6, is that right? or have I forgotten somewhere?!

17. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Chester currently has five 3:2 if I'm not mistaken.

18. Pertinax

Bristol have 1.2 + the two calves = 5. The father of this new calf is presumably also Rubani rather than his replacement as the new male will not have been there long enough to father this calf- or has he?

19. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you. I didn't realise they had a new male. It was stated that Rubani is the father of the latest calf.

20. charliejb

charliejb Well-Known Member

FunkyGibbon and pipaluk like this.