Join our zoo community

Non-EAZA zoos with snow leopards?

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by TechnicalSkillz, 9 Jan 2016.

1. TechnicalSkillz

TechnicalSkillz Member

Does anyone know what zoos in Europe outside of the EAZA/BIAZA and their EEP have snow leopards? They appear to be very rare in the private sector, and I haven't found any small family-owned zoos with them, despite the fact that those zoos often have other big cats (tigers, lions, leopards). I did come across the Cat Survival Trust (where does this place send the snow leopards it breeds, anyway?) which does not seem to be in the EEP or in the International Studbook (according to IPBSL 2008), but that's about it.
    Also, if there are any private (non-EAZA/BIAZA) zoos that have them, does anyone know where they get these animals from? There doesn't seem to be a lot of breeding going on outside of programs like EEP, save for Cat Survival Trust's program.

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

have a look here:
    www.Zootierliste.de

I do not exactly know which zoos are part of EAZA and which aren't, but the Wildkatzenzentrum Felidae close to Berlin keeps snow leopards since 2004, they received them from Paris and Hunnebosstrand (both EAZA) and is breeding them. This private facility only recently opened for the public. I reckon they are part of the EEP, as also non-EAZA facilities can be part of some EEP's.

3. TechnicalSkillz

TechnicalSkillz Member

Thanks for the link!
    I just checked the site, but it doesn't seem to be complete. The Cat Survival Trust, for example, isn't listed despite their high number of animals. I have the impression that they pull their data directly from programs like EEP and thus don't include many facilities that are neither in EAZA nor in EEP.

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The cat survival trust is not a public holding, so it doesn't fit the criteria for inclusion in zootierliste, private holders and such closed institutions are not included....

5. TechnicalSkillz

TechnicalSkillz Member

OK thanks. Does anyone know how to find such non-public holders with them?

6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

As I understand it the CST does work within the EEPs for snow leopards and Amur leopards.

7. TechnicalSkillz

TechnicalSkillz Member

It doesn't look like it (at least not for the snow leopards). They don't seem to be in the international studbook (according to IPBSL 2009). Also, here: https://disqus.com/home/discussion/duka-photos/behind_the_scenes/#comment-1109376334 Terry Moore gets bashed by someone from the British zoo field (who is, by the way, also a member of ZooChat with the username "bigcat speciali") and bashes back.

There is at least one known dealing of the Cat Survival Trust with an EAZA/BIAZA zoo: VIDEO: Snow leopards take in their surroundings in Milnthorpe - Lancaster Guardian
    I talked with a former volunteer of this zoo and the cubs went to other EAZA zoos, so it likely was a normal EEP dealing. However, EEP may have been ready to do that even if the CST doesn't participate, as many of CST's cats originate as zoo surplus. Most likely, Pavan (the father of the cubs) had parents which were EEP surplus, thus making the lineage traceable.

8. Rafiaan

Rafiaan Active Member

The Olmense Zoo keeps snow leopards since last year. It's probably the non-EAZA zoo in Belgium with the most animal species. They are building a new exhibit for this species, it should be ready later this year. One of the snow leopards died recently.
    This zoo had this species in the early 2000's, last year they were housed in the same cage as back then.