Join our zoo community

North American African Elephant Population 2023

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by E Maximus, 12 Jan 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Fort Worth Zoo has Asian Elephants and not African Elephants, so this should go in the North America Asian Elephant population thread.

2. John Marchwick

Sedgwick County Zoo

So apparently a month ago on February 14th, the Sedgwick County Zoo posted an update on their African Elephant herd and the zoo clearly states that they do NOT have any pregnancies in their herd yet.

3. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wonderful news to see Omaha's fifth and final cow pregnant (as was of course expected:D). Hopefully she'll also benefit from Jayei giving birth later this year too and can spend a few months gaining further maternal knowledge for her own birth next year.

Also good to see Ohama finally using African names to name their calves too. Mopani's a very nice name.:)

John Marchwick and Jaxton like this.
  4. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Disappointing to hear, but I was interested to see Sedgewick willing to AI females at other facilities using their own bull prior to doing the same with their females who still haven't conceived seven years on.

5. John Marchwick

6. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very sad news, but not surprising. Given all the recent posts they’ve been making on social media about her, it’s definitely felt like they’ve been slowly ramping up and preparing their zoo community for her inevitable passing.

StoppableSan and John Marchwick like this.
  7. Christopher81

Christopher81 Member

8. John Marchwick

9. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

This is really exciting and unexpected news! It will be very interesting to see where the girls end up. Hopefully, they end up with a viable breeding bull and some other cows so that they will finally be able to breed naturally and be part of an actual herd.

10. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is finally good news from Hogle. Long overdue but better now then never.

11. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

12. Nile Hippo Expert

Nile Hippo Expert Well-Known Member

John Marchwick likes this.
  13. Hyak_II

Very interesting news, but not entirely upsetting by any means! Christie is extremely genetically valuable, and while its been a while, there's a reasonable chance she should still be viable as a breeder. And Zuri of course, is at a prime age to get pregnant with her first calf. Hopefully they get a move on sooner than later!

I'm quite curious where they might be headed. Call it a gut feeling, but I think it might be North Carolina (unfortunately).

I think it's safe to say Sedgewick, Omaha, Dallas, Tampa, Tucson and San Diego are all non-options. They all have fertile multi-cow herds already. Pittsburgh's ICC is a no-go, Zuri is Jacksons daughter. I highly doubt Fresno, both their cows are likely pregnant by now, and putting two unrelated mother/daughter units together is just asking for them to butt heads.

Technically Atlanta and Maryland both have newer exhibits with bulls and the space for more animals, but both Tuffy and M'sholo are nonbreeders, and Samson is young and unproven as of yet (albeit genetically valuable). It's a very left field move, but I wouldn't be 100% surprised to see them come up to Canada, either. Hogle and Parc Safari have worked together on AI attempts in the recent-ish past, and Junnot is extremely genetically valuable, as an unrepresented founder. Granby of course has Tutume, who is entering his prime at 20 years old, and is also an unrepresented founder for the North American region. Both bulls are large enough to dominate and breed Christie, and both are familiar with dealing with older cows as well.

Edit: Technically Oakland is an option, and Osh *is* a founder for the region as well, but I've heard they're considering getting out of elephants once their remaining cow passes away. Plus Osh is older, unproven, and AFAIK hasn't actually physically shared space with the cows for a very long time, so they would be a very risky option to take, especially considering Christie and Zuri have no experience with bulls either.

IndianRhino likes this.
  14. toxodon

toxodon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think you are right. It makes the most sense with the recent move of Artie.

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. E Maximus

E Maximus Well-Known Member Premium Member

16. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Granby is likely a no go. They have pledge to phase out and rehome the elephants once their older female passes.

I also think Parc Safari is low likelihood given the Jane Goodall Act going through government right now which would ban future elephant imports and breeding, among other things. I doubt they would take the steps to bring elephants up to Canada when the government will make it impossible to breed them. Parc Safari hasn't said what its future plans are for their elephants.

17. Hyak_II

Euch, I thought that stupid bill was dead in the water, I wasn’t aware it was still going through :(

and that’s fair on Grandby as well. It heard conflicting info going back-and-forth about if their elephant program was continuing or not, but honestly haven’t been keeping super close tabs on it. I try to say somewhat aloof to things going on in Canada, since it’s usually just sad things that make me sad if I pay too much attention, lol.

18. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

19. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

nczoofan likes this.
  20. Mr.Ivory

Mr.Ivory Well-Known Member

Hyak_II likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.