Join our zoo community

North American African Elephant Population 2023

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by E Maximus, 12 Jan 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hm, very interesting news!

Now this absolutely might just be me reading into things more than I need to here, but I’m curious if we’re seeing the very beginning stages of pre-planning for a population boom in the next 8 to 10 years from now. If this was all happening 5 or 6 years ago, I would bet good money on seeing all of these older, non breeding animals, being relocated to other zoos. But now? All of them are going to TES.

Coincidentally, breeding is also finally starting to take off. We seemingly have/will be having more African births between 2022 and 2024 than in the past 20 years combined, and the Asian population, while not exhibiting such a sudden explosion in reproductive success, has been slowly yet consistently chugging along and producing calves regularly from the vast majority of cows who are able to, and additionally to that, we’ve also had/will have the import of four proven breeding cows, their two bull calves AND a new founder bull from outside of the NA region. Looking more south, Africam safari in Mexico, is also AZA accredited and a member of the SSP, they’ve been having extremely good success with their African elephant breeding program as well.

I would be very, very unsurprised to see a lot of these facilities who are getting out of their older geriatric animals transition to temporarily holding Indian Rhinos while bull proofing facilities (if needed) and then preparing to accept bachelor groups of elephants as they become available down the road. It’s already been mentioned on here, but with the appropriate facilities and age gaps between bulls, their management is fairly straightforward, and they make for very entertaining exhibits with their constant activity, sparring, and antics, as opposed to most geriatric elephants, which generally prefer to just stand around and eat.

2. Yazziel

Yazziel Well-Known Member

I found interesting that it says that she will be joining a larger group of 3 Females. Tange, Flora and Sukari. But after reading Janna’s arrival article she is at the Asian habit and will be meeting Nosey.

Welcoming Jana to Our Herd - EleNotes

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Maybe that head keeper either left or their decision got overridden

4. Zoo Birding

Zoo Birding Well-Known Member

Maybe they can bring the young bulls that are currently at San Diego Zoo up to Oakland?

I'm saddened to read that Donna is leaving but I know it'll be for the best.

Either way, I would be excited to hear Oakland keeping elephants in their collection. I'm sure they are the main animal that draw the crowd in the most.

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. Mr.Ivory

Mr.Ivory Well-Known Member

I doubt it San Diego will most likely keep Sundzu and Inhlonipho

6. E Maximus

E Maximus Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ajabu at Dallas has passed away from his 2nd fight with EEHV
    Dallas Zoo

7. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Absolutely devestating news. :( So soon after the birth of his younger brother too.

Hopefully the herd is doing well and my thoughts are with the Dallas staff and those who knew Ajabu.

8. Yazziel

Reid Park Zoo

I don’t think it’s a surprise. Litsemba is expecting her fifth calf, the father is Mabu of course.

9. Hyak_II

Absolutely unsurprising, but pleasant news to have confirmed nonetheless. Fingers crossed for another healthy girl!

10. Polar bear fan

Polar bear fan Well-Known Member

Great news to help soften the blow of Ajabu. Like Hyak said, hopefully a little girl. Hopefully not the only Mabu calf we’ll see soon either!

11. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Screenshot_20230512_014728.jpg
    Just about confirms that Oakland's getting new elephants after Donna's departure!

12. Jambo

Awesome news, and expected of course. I too am hoping for another girl to join the current four.

If all goes to plan Litsemba should deliver sometime early this winter; December/January next year.

13. Jambo

Will probably be a bachelor group by the looks it; but I still have hope for some females to start a breeding herd with Osh!

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. csartie

csartie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The calf is due in Spring of next year

John Marchwick likes this.
  15. Yazziel

Smaggledagle and John Marchwick like this.
  16. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Smaggledagle and csartie like this.
  17. John Marchwick

18. Nile Hippo Expert

Nile Hippo Expert Well-Known Member

And he'll be reunited with Ajani! Callee and Ajani lived together in Birmingham between 2011 and 2018.

Wisp O' Mist and csartie like this.
  19. Hyak_II

Very interesting news. This obviously indicates that neither Ajani or Titan have been successful in impregnating any of the cows so far. However I have no doubt that once Callee arrives, he’ll have all the girls who’re able to conceive pregnant in short order.

This however just continues to drive home a very frustrating issue I’ve talked about numerous times on here before, it is, for lack of better words, a popular sire situation. Factoring in for current known pregnancies, Jackson has somewhere in the range of 16 to 17 living descendants, and Mabu has 14, with two more very, very likely on the way. The next best represented bull is McLean, who comes up with a whopping…4… descendants. Well I’m not going to up, BSSP really needs to up its game, and more over, individual facilities management really needs to improve as well in terms of cooperation.

Wisp O' Mist, Jambo and IndianRhino like this.
  20. John Marchwick

Titan though has 1 potentially 2 calves on the way through artificial insemination anyway. The Sedgewick County Zoo said that “The females have been mixing since 2018 with Ajani, 22, who was also moved to Wichita in 2018 to breed with the female population.

“But Ajani hasn’t been able to get the job done,” King said. The other male, Titan, has only recently grown to reproductive age, and he has been “practicing,” King said.”

It sounds like Titan has been trying to breed anyway with the girls at the Sedgwick County Zoo at least from what the zoo said.

No pressure: Wichita zoo counting on new bull elephant to get it its first baby ever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.