Join our zoo community

North American African Elephant Reproduction

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by Elephant Enthusiast, 4 Apr 2018.

1. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Tucson's Reid Park Zoo expecting a new baby elephant

The Reid Park Zoo confirmed that their matriarch Litsemba, a 33 year old wildborn female, is pregnant with her 5th calf and is due in spring 2024. The father of her baby is 33 year old wildborn male Mabu.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. Nile Hippo Expert

Nile Hippo Expert Well-Known Member

zoomaniac and Polar bear fan like this.
  3. John Marchwick

Baby elephants coming 2024 ✨... - Fresno Chaffee Zoo

Forgot to mention this news on this thread but 29 year old wildborn Nolwazi and her 14 year old wild born daughter Amahle at the Fresno Chaffee Zoo are pregnant and are due in the fall 2024. The father of their calves is Mabu. This is Nolwazis second calf and Amahles first calf

https://www.elephant.se/database2.php?elephant_id=10884

and as for really old news that was never mentioned I realized until now but the ICC had a female calf Tsuni born in 2021 to wildborn first time mom Sukiri who’s 30 years old and the sire is 47 year old wildborn Jackson

Last edited: 27 Aug 2023
  4. E Maximus

E Maximus Well-Known Member Premium Member

5. Mr.Ivory

Mr.Ivory Well-Known Member

Sedgwick County Zoo announced that both Simunye and Talia are both pregnant and due in 2025 with the sire for Simunye being Callee or Ajani, while for Talia the sire is most likely Ajani or Callee or Titan

We are thrilled to announce that... - Sedgwick County Zoo

There are curranty 11 known pregnancies though only 8 are named

Due 2023:
    Maclean X Nadirah - Disney’s Animal Kingdom, due no later than early winter next year, but later this year as well.

Due in 2024:
    Titan X Renee - Toledo Zoo
    Callee X Omma - Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo
    Mabu X Semba - Reid Park Zoo
    Mabu X Nolwazi - Fresno Chaffee Zoo
    Mabu X Amahle - Fresno Chaffee Zoo

Due in 2025:
    Ajani or Callee X Simunye - Sedgwick County Zoo
    Ajani or Callee or Titan X Talia - Sedgwick County Zoo

The three most likely candidates are some of the girls from SDZSP most likely Umngani, Kami, and Koshi

Last edited: 11 Oct 2023
    Zorro likes this.
  6. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Who has some of the larger breeding herds in the USA, San Deigo SP perhaps?

7. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

What makes you say that? Unless SDZSP has been doing AI (which would be really nice), I doubt any of the girls are pregnant right now.

Jaxton and John Marchwick like this.
  8. Mr.Ivory

Though maybe to soon they do have Moose there but that is more speculation on my part

9. John Marchwick

Ndula I really doubt is pregnant considering the only bull the San Diego Zoo Safari Park has right now is her oldest son Vus Musi who’s not a proven breeding bull and is an extreme hot head from what I understand towards the other girls.

10. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

Musi has not been fully integrated into the herd quite yet, and the keepers don’t expect him to sire any calves for a while it seems. I am hoping things change soon though!

Jaxton and Mr.Ivory like this.
  11. Mr.Ivory

Fixed instead of Ndula it is now Kami, although true that Moose is an extreme hot head, Tooth at Rhenen also has a pretty similar personality.
    Hopefully after the renovation of Elephant Valley San Diego will become the breeding powerhouse it once was once again

Zorro likes this.
  12. John Marchwick

Are you kidding me? When do they expect than to have calves than with some of these girls? The last possible second like with Khosi and Phakamile who have not yet had calves but need to have calves ASAP? @PSO was right about the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, they are absolutely wasting those girls potential by putting them with Vus Musi. They were so confident with Msholo according to PSO when it came to those girls having calves from him, and now Msholos record of having calves is 0.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2023
    Zorro and Jaxton like this.
  13. Nile Hippo Expert

Sedgwick County Zoo is the biggest breeding herd with five breeding cows and two breeding bulls. Omaha WAS the holder of the biggest breeding herd before Callee moved to SCZ.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2023
    Zorro likes this.
  14. John Marchwick

Dallas last I checked only had 2 reproductive females and Reid Park also only as 2 reproductive females. Reid Park doesn’t have a bull elephant currently cause the last one they had, he couldn’t breed with the other females except 1 who’s now pregnant. Dallas theres one cow there just had a calf this year and the second reproductive cow Zola wouldn’t let Tendaji breed with her last I heard from @Kudu21 . I haven’t heard anything about that since other than Kudu21 said they were gonna try and breed Zola with Tendaji this last spring of this year but I don’t know if that was successful or not.

Zorro likes this.
  15. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dallas only has two females of reproductive age and Reid Park only has one, two if you count 9-year-old Nandi. By proven females, Omaha and San Diego, by potential mothers, Wichita, Tampa, and Disney.

16. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you. :)

17. John Marchwick

Disney and Tampa and Wichita also have proven females too and San Diego also has potential mothers. Omaha well, all of the girls are mothers or expecting mothers now.

Zorro likes this.
  18. Nile Hippo Expert

In a few years into the future, then maybe Musi will breed the SDZSP girls, but for now as @IndianRhino said, he is not fully introduced to the herd, and breeding will not be happening anytime soon. However, besides his mother (Ndula), he is not related to any of the cows at the safari park, so fast forward about a decade, and San Diego Safari Park may have the biggest breeding herd in the country!

Zorro likes this.
  19. John Marchwick

Oh good a decade from now? Their track record says otherwise. Why don’t you ask @PSO brilliant success record with Mscholo about how many calves they were able to get from him?

20. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just meant numbers-wise, they have the potential to be some largest. Not that they didn't have any proven females at all.

John Marchwick likes this.