Join our zoo community

North American Bison

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by NAmericanProjec, 24 Apr 2014.

1. NAmericanProjec

NAmericanProjec Member

Hey everybody in the next couple of years I would like to purchase some land on the plains and in the mountains for a zoo type setting and start nursing the Bison population back to health and I would also like to help the moose population in the Rockies because its not a large population to begin with. I would also like to incorporate many exhibits for north american species this isn't merely animal conservation this is animal conservation on a large scale to where Id like to have every north american species I can fit on my property and have a tourist attraction to see animals they never even knew existed in north America. I would also have a botanical gardens kind of setting for people who enjoy the plant side of nature more than the animals and I would also love it if I was able to lodge people on my property so that they could have an experience of the animals at night when no one else is around and the lights are off. This is going to hopefully be a huge success but I would need help from all the wonderful people in this community and my own. Would this be a supported effort? and if not could you let me know why you don't support my idea because id like to see some thought put into the opposition rather than "it sucks" thanks guys! :)
    NAProject

2. NAmericanProjec

NAmericanProjec Member

And guys feel free to message me privately thanks again :)
    NAProject

3. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have read Moose populations are falling due to increased Wolf numbers. That makes it a difficult issue with large numbers of people saying we need to let nature take its course and the other side saying management of predators allows more species to prosper.

4. NAmericanProjec

NAmericanProjec Member

Thank you Monty, that's what I've heard as well and that is why I believe it to be important to create a conservation area where Wolves wont be able to get to the animals. Granted I would like to have the North American wolf species in my zoo but at the same time they will be in a pin but I would love to conserve the moose species in Colorado because of the decline due to wolves preying on them so severely.
    Thanks so much, NAProject

5. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are the moose just decreasing in numbers (and hopefully get stable again at a smaller population level) or are they in danger of disappearing. Because the first is quite natural, but with the second I would advocate for more research why the reintroduction of an apex-predator is pushing out other species? Is it because other prey-species are missing, is the total habit too small or is there another reason.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

sounds a bit like the "fish are disappearing because the seals are killing them all!" argument.

Here's an article saying, basically, nobody knows why moose are declining and gives a range of theories. Important to note that moose declines are not consistent with wolf distribution!!
    States Initiating Research on Moose Declines; Minnesota Halts Hunt

7. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks Chlidonias and the article gives more clear picture.

8. NAmericanProjec

NAmericanProjec Member

Thank you very much this is very informative and helpful. I'll look into it some more but thank you very much Chlidonias
    NAProject