Join our zoo community

Norway will legalize reptiles as pets

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Norwegian moose, 24 May 2017.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Traditionally speaking, "somewhere in Lancashire" would still be in Lancashire, in which case Chli would have guessed correctly ;) :p

[​IMG]

Macaw16, zoogiraffe and jayjds2 like this.
  2. Smannsaker

Smannsaker Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The reason for not legalizing amphibians is because of the Norwergian government do not want any deceases to spread to the native amphibians.

3. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Several Norwegian pet shops now have reptiles in stock, with (from what I have seen) the most common being bearded dragons and leopard geckos (almost all are juvenile animals).

Have certain turtle (other than the Chinese pond turtle) and terrapin species not been legalized as pets? Before the legalization, you were allowed to apply to keep a turtle or a terrapin if you were seriously allergic to fur (although I know some people who don't have allergies but still kept them) but I am surprised they are not allowed as pets now.

4. Smannsaker

Smannsaker Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The government have several requirements for the reptiles that are now legal. A few of them being:
    - Non dangerous
    - Easy to care for
    - Not being able to survive and reproduce in Norway

The latter one is probably the most significant for turtles?

TheMightyOrca and animalszoos like this.