Join our zoo community

Not receiving notifications

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by ThylacineAlive, 15 Dec 2018.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

As I've said previously - the #1 reason why people don't get alerts is based on a fundamental misunderstanding about how the system works. ie - you weren't actually supposed to get an alert.

What I wrote in 2018 still holds today:

The number one thing that catches people out is that when there is a new post in a thread you are watching, you will only receive a single notification/alert about it until you have actually visited the thread on the site.

Because you can generally read replies via email - some people won't bother clicking through to the site and thus the system never sends you any more notifications or alerts because it doesn't know you have read it.

The main reason for this is to stop a flood of annoying notification emails in any active thread. Also, if you receive a high volume of alerts, the alert system kind of becomes useless - simply too much information to manage.
    Every time I've tested alerts for an individual, they have been created in the database. If you aren't seeing them - then it's likely something happening at your end.

EDIT: alerts generated from me posting this message are in the database for ThylacineAlive, Bengal Tiger and Great Argus.

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think I'm understanding - most likely I got an alert and then didn't click on it to go over to the thread, thus not generating further alerts. That would track I think. Thanks.

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I do understand this, and the problem has still occurred regardless (albeit not noticeably for some time now, though my time spent on the site has substantially reduced since 2018 at the peak of my problems so may not be noticing as much).

I never open email notifications for threads I'm following without opening the thread on the forum itself via the email link, partially because I like reading the forum on the forum and precisely for the reason you described. If I catch the post within the email and already know I'm not going to respond to what was said, I still open it so the system knows to send me future notifications and to check if anyone's posted afterwards.

Even if I already opened the link but I see via the in-forum notifications--which I like to keep cleared, which is another reason I always follow the link into the thread itself--that the latest post was posted after I opened the notification, I still go back into my email and reopen the thread from the latest email link specifically so the system knows to send me future emails for that thread.

There have been times that the last time I'd seen a thread I stopped getting notifications for is when I posted on it, so in those situations there either won't have been an email link for me to open in the first place or the last email notification I was sent was the link I followed to get into the thread I then posted on.

I understand that there is no easy explanation for why this happens to me (and, apparently, sometimes other) and there is nothing on your end that you can fix about it, but the issue is not what is outlined above no more now than it was when this thread was first created.

(I do think it's an important thing to remind people of, though, because it may well be the cause of some of the others' problems)

~Thylo

Great Argus likes this.