Join our zoo community

nubian wild ass, is it extinct

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by joe gaynor, 29 Mar 2015.

1. joe gaynor

joe gaynor New Member

hi , this is joe gaynor from Ireland , my father and I joe , were wondering , is the Nubian wild ass extinct in the wild , is it in captivity , we were under the belief , that it was in saint diego zoo, but my research on san diego today revealed that their wild asses were Somali wild ass, , I thought that the Nubian wild was in munich, berlin, new Orleans and zurich zoos , in the past. I have seen the Somali wild ass in the amazing caberceno park out side Santander , north of spain. thank you . I really hope this animal is not gone ,

2. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member

This would be better in the general zoo discussion forum.

3. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don’t think that there are currently any genuine Nubian wild asses in captivity.

I saw so-called Nubian wild ass in 1984 on my only visit to Catskill Game Farm although I now know that they were of doubtful purity.

These looked much as I expected Nubian wild ass to look (i.e. they differed from Somali wild ass in lacking leg stripes and in having a distinctive cross on the shoulder) although I’ve never seen any others to compare them with.

I believe that Catskill’s original stock was acquired from Munich Zoo although, as mentioned above, there is doubt about their purity.

4. joe gaynor

joe gaynor New Member

thank you for your help, tim your help is much appreciated . ,