Join our zoo community

Nurnburg x grafenau?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by pangolin12, 15 Dec 2019.

1. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

hi, I don’t really have a comparison for how long it takes to do them, and it could even be impossible, but as I’m trying to visit Europe’s top 50 (by @lintworm ) I would like to know if it is possible to do both in the same day? Thanks.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not in the slightest, I reckon :p

pangolin12 likes this.
  3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not at all no. Nuremberg really is a full-day zoo to appreciate the details fully that make the zoo so good. Additionally travelling time is quite long between both parks. If you manage Nuremberg easily in less than a day, you could add the Freiland-Terrarium in Stein, but only in spring-summer.

Batto and pangolin12 like this.
  4. pangolin12

Thanks guys:) another one... can you visit Leipzig and chemnitz in the same day. I’ve already visited Leipzig but have no clue about Chemnitz...

5. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How long did you spend in Leipzig? I'd consider Leipzig another full-day zoo, but if you're fine with rushing through the zoo, then I suppose it could be done. I wouldn't recommend it, though - with the exception of a few Flixbuses, it doesn't seem like you can catch a direct bus or train from Leipzig to Chemnitz. I haven't been to Chemnitz, but from what I've heard it could probably be done in two hours unless you're a huge amphibian fan.

pangolin12 likes this.
  6. TeaLovingDave

Again, no chance whatsoever. Even by train I estimate you're talking a 2 or 3 hour journey between the two, with at least two changes of train.

Dresden and Chemnitz are doable in a day, however, as are Leipzig and Halle.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2019
    pangolin12 likes this.
  7. TeaLovingDave

It's definitely a full-day zoo for a first visit, but on a second visit could possibly be squeezed into 3 or 4 hours.

Two hours is more than enough. I spent a LONG time in the amphibian house, taking copious notes for each tank and looking carefully for the inhabitants, and still managed the whole zoo in under 150 minutes.

pangolin12 likes this.
  8. pangolin12

Judging on how long Leipzig took me on my first visit, my only targets are really Gondwanaland, the reptile house and the pangolins, other areas I can remember extremely well and could do them in shorter amounts of time. I’ll be travelling by car so I don’t need to go by bus.
    I did consider Dresden but because of my awkward trip timings I’m afraid it can’t be done:(

9. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

If you’re driving, Chemnitz and Leipzig are only about an hour apart. It is, therefore, possible to do both in a day, especially when Chemnitz is a zoo that can be comfortably seen in about three hours. However, I can’t imagine that Leipzig would ever fit happily into a two-zoo-day, even on a return visit.

Chemnitz is actually a three zoo town (almost): there’s a small Wildpark - nothing remarkable but very nice (this may even have 24 hour access). There’s also a small but interesting zoo at Limbach Oberfrohna - certainly worth seeing.

If you’re prepared to pop over the border, Chomutov is only an hour away, and is a pretty interesting place (European species in a large park, with a few traditional zoo enclosures as well).

Or, if you bypass Leipzig, Halle is only a little further north, and could be comfortably seen in a shorter period of time. Not perfect, but a very charming zoo in many ways.

pangolin12 likes this.
  10. TeaLovingDave

As noted, I have managed it in a threefer with Halle and Wildpark Leipzig!

pangolin12 likes this.
  11. pangolin12

Thanks!