Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo Project NWCP to open in July as......

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 20 Feb 2013.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I also have photos ready to post as soon as there is a Gallery to put them in :)

Alan

2. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is it the one named The Wild Place? Or is that somewhere else?

3. gentle lemur

No definite article, just 'Wild Place' or 'Wild Place Project'.

Alan

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

OK, it's just there's nothing in that gallery, so i thought it must have been intended for this 'Wild Place'. There must be another place with an almost identical name!?

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

No, the 'The Wild Place' gallery is for this collection - The Wild Place Gallery - it has the right website links etc.

I will be going for the first time (no doubt with a number of other Zoochatters!) on 15th September as part of the Zoohistorica event.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Alan- as Maguari says, 'The Wild Place' has been created now in the UK gallery for here. Unfortunately I don't have the wherewithall to remove the 'The.'

7. gentle lemur

Photos posted now. I was looking at the Ws.
    Enjoy!

Alan

8. Tunanta

Tunanta Well-Known Member

Have the lemurs in the walkthrough come from the Bristol zoo walkthrough or are they newly sourced? And if they did move from Bristol what's in that space now?

9. matthew

matthew Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I spoke to one of the keepers at Wild Place, and they said the lemurs came from the Bristol Zoo walk through, and there is now a new bachelor group on ring tale lemurs at Bristol zoo.

10. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Presumably further work is scheduled for the autumn/winter to get more on view for next summer - any idea what will be the next stage?

11. Tunanta

Tunanta Well-Known Member

Thank you. I thought they looked like familiar lemurs in the pictures, but its been so long since I worked in the old walkthrough I could easily have been wrong. I'm hoping to make it to Bristol next month and will have to pop in here now too to see the mongoose lemurs-would've been disappointed to miss them.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Both ringtails and mongoose?

13. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Their website is reporting that 10,000 people visited in the first month of operation, and 500 purchased season tickets.

Not sure if those are good figures or not: on the one hand, it's a fair number of people to visit a very small collection of animals, but on the other hand this is the busiest time of year by far, so 10,000 may not be so very many after all.

14. gentle lemur

That's an average of 333 people per day which is in line with what I saw when I visited. They could fit some more in, but the facilities could not handle much larger numbers at this stage. I don't think that they have done very much publicity work (at least compared to the advertising of Noah's Ark's elephants). But they have made a start and they now have an income stream to pay the staff and support further developments.

Alan

15. Pertinax

And equally important, ensured the right to continue keeping wild/exotic animals on the site, which may have lapsed if they hadn't started this when they did.

16. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

How close is the Cribb's Causeway shopping centre? To have a steady supply of families looking for something to do after a couple of hours "retail therapy" must help, if only in terms of advertising.

17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am quite comfortable with this way of proceeding with building the NCWP and thus come away from the myth of talking plans and not being able to accomplish anything. Given the fact only a small segment of the original plan is now in place, the attendance figures (without any significant markering and PR) are IMO quite good.

I would assume that given 1-2 years the facility will have much more to offer.

Anyone have any idea if there are already preliminary indications as to what project(s) they have lined up for 2014?

Any further new planning documents or schedule for future further exhibitry?

18. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

It's VERY close - only a mile or so away at most. Got to be a help (helped us - we're staying at Travelodge Cribbs Causeway for Zoohistorica!).

19. Pertinax

Almost spitting distance....:)

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The fact Cribbs Travelodge is much cheaper than those in the centre of Bristol is also a help ;)