Join our zoo community

NZ wildlife questions? Ask them here.

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 25 Dec 2007.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You may have misread this remark. I mean if, if .. if I do see them advertised in any reptile forums I frequent as well or while surfing the internet (hobbywise for Uromastyx and related lizards), I will contact the relevant DoC authorities a.s.a.p. I am a reptile conservationtist, not a consumer.

Not sure what the DoC would do with any confiscated Sphenodons: would they be returned to Kiwi captive facilities (fear of introducing obvious rep diseases in wild populations) or true re-release to the wild (on non populated and rat-free islands as is done with most of the Kiwi avian fauna)?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

despite what I was told about confiscated reptiles being returned to NZ, I'm not sure if that's what would actually happen. If they have been in contact with foreign reptiles (and hence potentially foreign diseases) then I would say the risk would be quite high if bringing them back into the country. I certainly don't think they would be released if they were brought back. Much better to my mind to deposit them in a zoo overseas.

3. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What is known about New Zealand Storm Petrel? What was about telemetry attempt? Why it failed? Any more plans?

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree we should be cautious with release of individuals coming from a captive environment, but I would wish that we opt for more realistic scenarios (I feel the arguement is made more often than not just to stifle any real discussion on whether this would be detrimental or not).

I know we speak island environments and stuff, yet I still feel somewhat uncomfortable with the entire thing. Australia has the highest number of mammalian extinctions and NZ is a close folllower in the avian stakes. If one could demonstrate by in depth testing your individuals to be disease-free .. the least thing one could wish for is for them and/or their eventual offspring to be able to be released back onto islands from whence they were extirpated. Anyhow enough of that for now! :cool:

Re Kakapo: the rimu fruit is out this year in full bloom 11-12 kakapo females were nesting and males were heard booming on Codfish early in the new year. 1-2 kakapo females had already were with eggs and DoC staff were expecting a good season! Do you have any news of the kakapo recovery since early March 2008?

5. Chlidonias

what is known about the NZ storm petrel? Precious little!

For those unfamiliar with the story, the NZ storm petrel was known only from three museum specimens, all collected in the 1800s. It was actually generally thought to be a form of another known species, or at most a subspecies (it has now been determined to not only be a distinct species, but possibly also to belong in its own genus). Then in 2003 NZ birders Sav Saville and Brent Stephenson spotted some unfamiliar storm petrels while on a pelagic birding trip in the Hauraki Gulf out of Auckland. Some detective work showed these to be the presumed-extinct NZ storm petrel. They have since been seen by hundreds of birders on trips into the Hauraki Gulf. The probable reason for the 150 year absence of sightings probably relates to the fact that pelagic birding trips here are a fairly new phenomenon, and the population is almost certainly very small (probably a remnant one, with most colonies eliminated by rats etc).

At the start of January 2006, Brent and DoC workers set out on a trip to catch some petrels and fit them with radio transmitters to try and find their breeding sites. Several were captured but as the transmitters only have short ranges and also short lifespans most birds were not found again (the signal of just one was picked up, and that was at sea not on land). There were plans to repeat the scheme in 2007 but I don't know the results if any.

The breeding grounds are still unknown, and it is quite important that they are found. There is obviously only a small population, quite probably all from one colony, and if rats reach whatever island this is on, they could very quickly be wiped out. Finding the island would ensure that it could be monitored to remain rat-free.

6. Chlidonias

at the start of March there were five active nests with one or two eggs per nest. Two of the breeders this year are six year old birds (the previous youngest bird known to have laid eggs was a nine year old), so this is pretty exciting news. In the last breeding year (2005) 58% of eggs were fertile; of the eggs laid this year all are fertile which is also good news. Unfortunately the two six-year-old breeders showed their inexperience. One female broke one of her eggs and accidentally pulled the other out of the burrow when leaving to feed so it was removed for artificial incubation. The other female seemed to get bored of incubation and gradually spent longer and longer off the nest each night, so her eggs were also taken after 25 days. All three eggs are developing well apparently. Of the other birds on eggs, one female hatched her sole egg on 17 March but sadly it died a week later. Both of another female's eggs have hatched and the chicks are so far still alive. There are currently five other eggs in other nests still being incubated.

I could potentially have been much more help because I was aiming to be part of the volunteer programme on Codfish Island during this year's breeding, but unfortunately for me there were no positions available this season (its a very popular activity).

For anyone who's in NZ between 8 September and 22 October this year, Sirocco a nine-year-old male kakapo will once again be on Ulva Island (Stewart Island) for public viewing. He was last there (also for the first time) in 2006 while I was out of the country. The cost is $90 for adults and $50 for children aged 5-14 years, the fee going towards the Ulva Island Sanctuary. He is to be kept in a special enclosure, viewable on a guided tour at night. Although its hardly a "wild kakapo experience" it is the only chance most people will ever get to actually see one.

7. Chlidonias

new information regarding the NZ storm petrel. On 8 April one was spotted and photographed off New Caledonia during a pelagic birding trip from New Zealand to Japan. It is the first one seen outside of New Zealand, and the area MAY be the species' wintering grounds. They leave the Hauraki Gulf around late March and disappear entirely from NZ between May and September. The website with photograph is WildWings Western Pacific Odyssey Spring 2008 sightings

8. Chlidonias

latest info on the kakapo breeding this season. Of the ten eggs laid, seven hatched and all seven chicks are being hand-reared in Nelson and are doing well. Total kakapo population is now 92 birds.

9. Chlidonias

first wild tuatara breeding on NZ mainland in centuries

Wild sex in the sanctuary - New Zealand news on Stuff.co.nz

10. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Very groovy...

11. Kokakola11

Kokakola11 Member

When I last went there at the end of may they also had quite a few in the walk-through aviary. They were so tame they would sit on your arm.
    I know it's a bit of topic, but I made a list of birds in the aviary with them.
    Tui
    Kereru
    Kokako
    Kaka
    Sacred Kingfisher
    White-faced
    Heron
    Nz Shoveller
    Scaup
    Grey teal
    Blue duck
    Paradise shelduck
    Banded rail
    red-crowned Kakariki
    Hi, I only just joined now and I would like to know the best place to see Nth Island Rifleman in the wild or Captivity.

12. Chlidonias

haven't posted in this thread for a long time, but a new little item has popped up connected to these earlier posts:
    and the new item is as follows:
    Rare storm petrel confirmed breeding in NZ - Yahoo! New Zealand News

13. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is there a complete accounting somewhere of what megafauna species the humans wiped out when they first got to New Zealand? I saw in an earlier post that there were 9-11 species of moas. Wasn't there a giant moa-eating eagle too (Haast's eagle?)? Anything else? Is there a museum in NZ with an exhibit of the former megafauna?

14. Chlidonias

this Wikipedia list is pretty good although it does include prehistoric species (pterosaurs, fossil penguins, etc): [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extinct_animals_of_New_Zealand]List of extinct animals of New Zealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

It is largely based on the work of Richard Holdaway and Trevor Worthy. There is a scholarly article of historic extinctions (i.e. less than the last 1000 years) called "A working list of breeding bird species of the New Zealand region at first human contact" by Holdaway, Worthy and Alan Tennyson, published in the New Zealand Journal of Zoology in 2001; and Holdaway and Worthy also wrote a very thick and detailed book on post-human extinctions called "The Lost World of the Moa" in 2002 which is well-worth getting if one can afford it. A more "popular" version - but still very very good - of post-human extinctions is "Extinct Birds Of New Zealand" by Alan Tennyson and Paul Martinson.

Several museums in NZ have reconstructions of moa or articulated moa skeletons. Te Papa (in Wellington) has a life-size reconstruction of a Haast's eagle pouncing on a moa, while the Otago Museum in Dunedin has an articulated skeleton of the eagle.

15. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If one wanted to see some wildlife in the wild in New Zealand what would species would you recommend one try and see and where would you suggest that one go see them? Is it possible to see wild tuataras, or are they in remote and restricted areas? Ditto kiwis?

Are keas, wetas, and penguins accessibly viewable in the wild to visitors? What wild landscapes would you recommend? Douglas Adams was rapturous about the fjords in "Last Chance to See".

16. Chlidonias

this recent thread has recommendations for where to see some selected NZ wildlife: http://www.zoochat.com/17/new-zealand-zoo-tour-advice-256408/ (post #8). Most of the wild species in NZ can be seen relatively or actually easily if one knows where to go (only a few species are pretty much impossible to try and see).

Kiwi are reasonably easy if one goes out with a guide at certain spots. If one wants to try by oneself its a bit harder but still quite possible so long as you know what you're doing. They are of course very rare, pretty shy, nocturnal.....

In general tuatara are only on restricted-access islands but you can see Brothers Island tuatara on Somes Island in Wellington Harbour, and common tuatara at Zealandia in Wellington and on Tiritiri Matangi off Auckland.

Kea are very easy to see, two of the three resident penguins are easy and the third not as easy but still far from impossible, and depending on what species of weta ranging from dead easy to not a chance (some species, like the fantastic tusked weta, are only on restricted-access islands).

The whole of the South Island is a landscape not to be missed by tourists. (We locals barely notice the mountains etc because they're just there, but if you've seen the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, those landscapes weren't faked [mostly!]). In the North Island you've got all the geothermal areas in Rotorua with geysers, steaming cliffs, boiling mud pools, and so on; White Island off the coast which is a continuously active volcano; the Volcanic Plateau in the middle of the island; even Auckland is worth seeing because its built on top of something like 80 dormant volcanoes which have mostly been terraced by pre-European Maori into pa defence fortresses.

The longer one can spend in NZ the better really.