Join our zoo community

Oakland Zoo Oakland Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by TheEthiopianWolf03, 2 Jan 2019.

1. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

This is the new news thread for Oakland zoo. A few things to start of the year...

-Unsure if this was mentioned in the previous thread but the mountain lions that the zoo rescued around Fall have been moved to Como Park zoo in Minnesota.

- The lone common crane (Liford’s) has either passed away or has been moved to another zoo as the site does not list the species anymore and the staff have been known to be accurate on what the zoo has and have been noted to change things quickly when an animal is added or moved. This can also be seen with the removal of Indian muntjacs from the site but they are still on the map so this might need to be double checked.

- Blue eyed black lemurs are not listed anymore as well which means they are not at the zoo anymore. I suspect they went to Duke due to the pair not having any progress at the zoo with breeding. If any can confirm or deconfirm this that would be great.

Let’s hope this year they can finally put together a master plan as they now have a handful of empty exhibits and they finished their almost a decade long plan of building the California Trail.

2. TheEthiopianWolf03

An informant came to me as he heard that I had a lot of questions to Oakland zoo and he told me that Luigi the Indian muntjac has died. Since the zoos hasn’t said anything on the matter I won’t say the cause of death that the informant heard from the zookeeper since I’m not sure if I should say anything without the zoo mentioning it first. Luigi’s death is a sad one but I’ve never seen him so it’s not as sad as Nikko’s or Pismo’s and to be honest, the exhibit can be now used for other animals.

Edit: Forgot to read the last part of what he said. He mentioned that the zoo was planning to get more muntjacs from what the zookeeper told him. Take this information with a grain of salt though as plans could change.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2019
  3. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think I saw the muntjac at least twice. Unfortunate he's passed though (Also who was Pismo?)

4. TheEthiopianWolf03

Might of spelled his name wrong but Pismo was one of the black bear cubs who passed away last year due to kidney failure or something similar.

5. Hipporex

Ohhhh, I remember hearing about that

6. TheEthiopianWolf03

I just had a long discussion about the animals at Oakland zoo with the staff and I have some new information.

- There are no more blue eyed black lemurs at the zoo, the last one passed a few months ago. No current plans to get more of the species.

-The informant was right with some things as the zoo confirmed that the muntjac has passed and the exhibit is empty but there are no current plans of what to do with the exhibit.

- The plan to bring the male bison and female jaguar look like it’s on hold as they said they want to focus on the current inhabitants before bringing more individuals. Nothing noticed on the wolf pair yet.

- The gibbon exhibit will house gibbons once again as they are looking for some. They said they aren’t getting white checked gibbons so most likely they are searching for more white handed gibbons.

- The zoo wants to renovate the old macaw area but there are no plans yet on what they want to do with the area. This is the exhibit where the macaws could fly away if they wanted to but didn’t since they were trained to stay in the exhibit. The area also includes some of the old terrariums that used to house yellow anacondas and other reptiles. What would you guys like to see in that area of the rainforest zone?

StoppableSan, Jambo and Hipporex like this.
  7. Hipporex

Either...
    a) ...an addition to the chimp exhibit, connected to the main exhibit by a sky trail (like the new one at the SF zoo) or...
    b)...an exhibit for an ocelot, binturong, or tamandua.

8. TheEthiopianWolf03

Probably not a chimp extension seeing as how the area would be a bit small to be an extension. Most likely an ocelot seeing as how they are working with ARCAS. I think the zoo needs to bring more animals to represent the work they do with ARCAS. Better yet, a Latin America region that showcases the illegal trafficking of wildlife. Just wishful thinking though...

StoppableSan and Hipporex like this.
  9. TheEthiopianWolf03

The zoo got two new Lamancha goats!

10. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just contacted the zoo recently about when they’re getting their female jaguar and said that there working on it and watwaiting for international transfer permits as we speak. They also mentioned that the jaguar is either coming spring or summer of 2019 from ARCAS!!

11. TheEthiopianWolf03

I can confirm that a male walaroo was born earlier this month (or December, unsure).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  13. John Marchwick

The Oakland Zoo is expanding their Camel habitat!!

Oakland Zoo

StoppableSan and Anniella like this.
  14. Anniella

Anniella Well-Known Member

I haven't been to the Oakland Zoo since 2011, even though it's my original "home" zoo. Will they be expanding up the hill where the bison and tule elk used to be?

I remember their current hillside exhibit was originally home to roan antelope. I'd love to see the zoo get some new antelope species at some point in the future. They were never the biggest hoofstock zoo, but their collection looks like it's even less diverse than it once was.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  15. John Marchwick

The zoo has finally confirmed a red tailed hawk now lives with the California trail. There’s a video and new details about the zoos news California Trail inhabitant

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

Does the red-tailed hawk have a name?

17. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Video description says, Ojai.

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. John Marchwick

19. John Marchwick

The Oakland Zoo has rescued a California Condor from Pinnicles National Park

20. TheEthiopianWolf03

I apologize for my absence and this will be prolonged for another few weeks due to finals. I had to cut myself off from Zoochat so I could focus on my studies and thus missed quite a few things. Here are some developments in Oakland zoo!

A friend of mine has told me that he talked with zoo staff and they plan on getting another pair of gibbons soon (he said around the next 2 months or so take that with a grain of salt)

Lesser flamingoes are back on exhibit after being moved for renovations to their outdoor and indoor exhibits. Less grass and more mud is the most noticeable thing.

A new male cotton top tamarin has arrived to the zoo to accompany the lonely female in the exhibit. Possible breeding is in the zoo’s plan so expect hopefully babies in the near future.

Kifaru Bwana and Hipporex like this.