Join our zoo community

OdySea Aquarium OdySea: New Developments

Discussion in 'United States' started by Giant Panda, 6 Feb 2017.

1. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member

Further expansions are planned. Most notable for ZooChatters is the 2-3 acre rainforest house, Paradise Earth, which will have 4000-5000 free-flying birds. The 35-acre OdySea site already includes three zoological attractions: Dolphinaris, Butterfly Wonderland, and the aquarium.

OdySea in the Desert to add Aviary, Dinosaur Park and Hotel blooloop

Wyman likes this.
  2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member Premium Member

The progress in this Phoenix suburb is astounding. OdySea Aquarium is already 200,000 square feet and 2 million gallons, making it one of the largest aquatic facilities in America in terms of sheer size. Butterfly Wonderland is probably the largest butterfly greenhouse in the nation, plus there is Dolphinaris and then many more plans upcoming in the next few years. Wow.

3. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last line of the article: the developer plans to build an attraction where people will spend two to three days. Here's why I don't think it will work. People do not vacation in Arizona to see aquariums and ice caves (another coming attraction) and dolphins in cement tubs in the desert. They vacation in Arizona to see cacti and scenery and to enjoy warm outdoor activities in the winter. I have not been to any of the attractions in the complex, so I can't judge their quality, but I think it's a very hard sell to expect people to stay more than one day.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Arizona Docent

On Saturday, January 18 (2020), the aquarium will hold its third annual conservation expo. Event is held outside in the courtyard and is free. There will be animal ambassadors from the aquarium and tables set up by numerous Phoenix area zoo and conservation groups (including Phoenix Zoo, Phoenix Herpetological Society, Southwest Wildlife, Liberty Wildlife, Heritage Park Zoo, and more).

Wyman likes this.
  6. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member

7. Arizona Docent

Here is an article about the entire campus (all of which is new) that Odysea Aquarium is located in (there is also a second animal attraction called Butterfly Wonderland as well as an increasing number of non-animal attractions). The campus was called Odysea In The Desert (which was often confused with the actual Odysea Aquarium) so the new name for the campus is Arizona Boardwalk.
    OdySea in the Desert changes name to Arizona Boardwalk, announces hotel and more attractions

(Personal opinion: I have never had a desire to visit this aquarium but now seeing the cheezy attractions the campus is adding I definitely will stay as far away as possible. Arizona has until now shied away from cheap tourist traps like Ripleys or mirror mazes and honestly I find this entire development to be an embarrassment to my state. Thankfully at least it's not in Tucson.)