Join our zoo community

Ohama's Henry Doorly Zoo Named World's Largest Zoo!

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ThylacineAlive, 1 Jun 2013.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

"The Omaha zoo has received another big accolade: “largest” in the world.

Our Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is not the world's biggest zoo in area, but the travel website touropia.com ranks it as the largest by combining geographic size with number of species.

It's an unusual methodology, but Omaha zoo Director Dennis Pate said: “We'll take it.”

Touropia ranks the Columbus Zoo in Ohio as eighth-largest, the Moscow Zoo seventh and the San Diego Zoo sixth.

The Toronto Zoo is No. 5, the Bronx Zoo is No. 4, the Beijing Zoo is No. 3 and the Beijing Zoological Garden is No. 2.

And there at the top sits Omaha.

“Although there are bigger zoos in terms of acreage or species numbers,” the site says, “none rank as high as the Henry Doorly Zoo if both these categories are combined. For this reason, it is listed here as the largest zoo in the world.”

Touropia also notes that the Omaha zoo features the largest cat complex in North America, the world's largest indoor desert and the largest geodesic dome.

Pate, who has led the zoo for four years, paid tribute to his predecessor, Dr. Lee Simmons. “Doc built something special here.”

The zoo, which also has been ranked best by TripAdvisor, Huffington Post and Family Fun magazine, is listed as having 130 acres and 17,000 animals of 962 species.

Last year it set its attendance record, exceeding 1.7 million visitors.

With the razing of nearby Rosenblatt Stadium, Dennis said, parking spaces are increasing by nearly 50 percent, to about 3,000...."

Kelly: Travel website hails Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo as largest in world - Omaha.com

~Thylo:cool:

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

good to see some major flaws....

Zoo Berlin has more species per acre, as has Vogelpark Walsrode, as do many of the smaller city zoos such as Antwerp and Artis Amsterdam (both around 500 species at 30-34 acres)...

The world largest indoor desert is in Arnhem, Burgers Desert.

And isn't the zoo world largest geodesic dome Gondwanaland....

3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Like the name of the zoo in the thread title...:D

Why would you even bothering using "species density" to describe "largest zoo"? What a stupid idea.

Note that the quoted (but not in quote marks) article actually mis-represents the original article, by suggesting the number 2 spot goes to the "Beijing Zoological Garden" when it in fact goes to the Berlin Zoological Garden.

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just noticed that. For some reason I always spell Omaha, Ohama.

I copied and pasted what I put in my first post. The article does, in fact, say "Beijing Zoological Gardens." And it is in quotation marks.

~Thylo:cool:

5. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

OK, I meant in the quote box thing. And I know that your article says Beijing Zoological Gardens were #2, but that is not what is in the original list (8 Largest Zoos in the World | Touropia) that your article was based on. That list quite clearly says Berlin Zoological Gardens, and presumably the columnist made a typo when paraphrasing it.

6. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Not really a geodesic dome.
    It would have to be spherical for that

Last edited: 1 Jun 2013
  7. ostrich

ostrich Well-Known Member

I would love to see that zoo! Their Madagascar exhibit looks amazing. They have some species that I’ve never before seen in captivity. Their butterfly exhibit looks really nice, too. I guess I will need to plan a visit to Omaha!

8. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

then I do not know which photo's you have seen and I not, but the ones that appear at zoochat are not appealing at all...

9. ostrich

ostrich Well-Known Member

I was looking at their website...