Join our zoo community

Oil Spill in Mauritius

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by birdsandbats, 9 Aug 2020.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jungle Man likes this.
  2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Because I heard about the spill and I had no opportunity to read about it. I liked the post because I liked the article and thanks for posting it.

birdsandbats likes this.
  4. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The spill is just off Ile aux Aigrettes an important nature reserve and reintroduction site where over the last 35 years we have been restoring the plant, bird and reptile communites. The island has Pink Pigeons, Mauritius Fodies, Olive White-eyes, Guenther's Geckos, Telfairs Skinks and Aldabra Giant Tortoises. The staff on the island have been evacuated and some birds, tortoises and young plants removed.

5. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

This spill is terrible, all that endangered species suffering because of the spill. By the way, what are your current projects for the restoration of the island?

6. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

7. UngulateNerd92

and here is another relevant article connecting dots that I did not expect to be connected.

"Why the Mauritius oil disaster matters to the Guianas

By David Singh, director WWF Guianas and Aiesha Williams, country manager Guyana of WWF Guianas

More than 12,000 km from the Guianas a devastating oil disaster is unfolding on the coastline of the island of Mauritius. Hundreds of tonnes of oil are threatening unique wildlife, corals and wetlands after a stranded Japanese carrier broke in two. This might seem far away, but it is in fact a sharp reminder for the Guianas to be very mindful of the risks of extraction and transportation of oil."

https://www.stabroeknews.com/2020/0...auritius-oil-disaster-matters-to-the-guianas/

Jungle Man likes this.
  8. UngulateNerd92

Here is a relevant video from the Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust's YouTube channel discussing what they are doing to evaluate and mitigate the damage.

Jungle Man likes this.