Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Okapi at Chester

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Shirokuma, 4 Oct 2009.

Tags:
  1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I read in another thread that Chester was the last zoo to be allowed to get okapi as a new species as no new collections will be permitted to acquire them at the moment.

My question is how did Chester go about this process and what where the conditions met which allowed them to house okapis.

Also, are there any zoos known which want to add okapi to their collection but are unable to?

Many thanks!

2. HuxleyPig

HuxleyPig Well-Known Member

Can I add the question of why they are unable to add them as well, please? :s

3. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

I think there were losses in the EEP one year, possibly 2007, which led to this decision. I would imagine chester had already made some arrangements to acquire specific animals by the time this decision was taken. As you probably know, Woburn for one built some impressive accommodation for African ungulates, with a view to keeping okapi, but has not been able to obtain any. I think there just isn't the availability for new collections to risk going into okapi at the moment.

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Correct answer, Chester received there original male (dicky) back in 2005. About a year later (could have been 2007) they introduced the new rules due to a bad year in the EEP due to a number of deaths.

Chester received there first Okapi before work started on there accommodation and where held off-show behind the Giraffes. During this time Woburn were busy building the accommodation to allow them to hold Okapi, but unfortunately by the new rules came in force before they could acquire any animals.

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Chester may yet again hold spare Males at the back of the Giraffe House if required by the EEP.

6. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Would be a shame to waste the modification they did back there to hold them.

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Where was Dicky born?

8. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Rotterdam in 1996

And sorry he actually moved to Chester in 2004, it was Mbuti that arrived in 2005.

9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Did he live in Rotterdam for those 8 years then?

10. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Nope, he moved to London the following year then Marwell in 2002 before joining Chester in 2004.

2006 he moved to London again to be paired with Elila, before moving back to Chester in 2009.