Join our zoo community

Old world monkeys in Latin American zoos

Discussion in 'Central & South America - General' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 19 Aug 2020.

1. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Yes, she was. I presume the rhino appearing in the video is Cacareco, as she was the only of three rhino calves born at the zoo to grow up to a reasonable size.

2. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Yes, the one "in person" :D

3. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Fun fact: Rio Zoo was the second registered zoo in the world to breed rhinos. The first one was the Brookfield Zoo, in Chicago.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2020
  4. David Matos Mendes

Thanks for sharing this, Enzo. It's an awesome video; It's amazing to see a well developed material such as this one. It's indeed a whole documentary about the zoo. Nice to see the differences from scientifical aspects in those times too, like scientifical names and some other informations about the animals.

By the way, I honestly thought Rio zoo's exhibits were way worse at this time, but I can see they were surprisingly good (of course, not comparing to nowadays standards). By the way, I prefer this old jaguar exhibit than the present one. Hope this big renovation really fixes the many structural problems the zoo faces.

About the baboons, after seeing they all inhabited the same enclosure, I consider a strong possibility that they have bred between species, wich brought possible hybrid individuals such as male "Chack".

5. David Matos Mendes

Wow, I didn't know that! Then was Cacareco the second registred captive born rhino in the world? That's pretty interesting.

6. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

No, two births occurred before hers, both in Chicago. She was the third to be born in a zoo. Rhinos have been bred in captivity before the three, though.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2020
  7. David Matos Mendes

Hmmm didn't know there were rhinos born there before her. Once she is probably the most highlighted rhino from those times in Brasil, I thought she was also the first to be born.

8. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

About the enclosures, I'll have to agree with you. However, the zoo's collection was much larger than it is now.

9. David Matos Mendes

Yes... I wonder wich zoo in Brazil might have had the largest collection in it's most biodiverse point; if it was Rio or São Paulo.

10. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Cacareco was the first Brazilian-born rhinoceros and I can cite two examples of captive-born calf births happening before the ones in Chicago: one in 1826, in Kathmandu (Nepal) and other happening in 1925, in Kolkata (India). Both of the calves were of the greater one-horned species.

11. David Matos Mendes

Ah, yes, I was confused if there were other rhinos born in Rio before her or if you meant in other places of the world. Now I get it.

12. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I think both zoos have kept equally high numbers of species. But Rio had its golden age in the 1950's and early 1960's. São Paulo and many other zoos in Brazil had theirs in the late 1980's and 1990's.

13. David Matos Mendes

Yeah, the zoos of São Paulo, BH, Brasília and Porto Alegre (Sapucaia) were "born" more or less in the same period (end of the 50's), and I agree with you about when their collection's highest point was.

14. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I went to the Volta Redonda Zoo today. Turns out the place keeps four Old World monkeys of three different species: a Japanese macaque, an olive baboon and two vervet monkeys. The baboon is definitely a male. I don't know about the others though, but I presume the macaque is a male and the two others are male and female, as they are from the same species. Therefore, they might be a couple.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2020
  15. David Matos Mendes

Didn't know there were vervet monkeys in any zoos in Brazil. Interesting to know about it. Do you have pictures of the exhibits where these and the other cercopithecidaes are kept?

16. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

There were vervet monkeys at Rio Zoo as well, I don't know if they're still there though. Look at this video from the AFP News Agency:

17. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

About the monkeys in Volta Redonda, I do have pictures of them, and I'll probably post those pictures here (on Zoochat, not on this thread, obviously).

Last edited: 16 Nov 2020
    David Matos Mendes likes this.
  18. David Matos Mendes

I'm thinking about the possibility that these in Volta Redonda are actually the ones that used to live at Rio. Considering Rio zoo has been reformulating their population plan due to the new practices the Bioparque's crew has been developing, species like the vervet monkey might have left the zoo's collection. Makes even more sense when realizing VR zoo is quite a small facility, and the presence of animals such as these is quite unusual. I don't have any official information about it though.

19. David Matos Mendes

It will be nice to know more about this institution. I have very little knowledge about this zoo itself. Had an opportunity to visit it once, but didn't have time to do so.

20. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I also think that such a hypothesis may be right.

David Matos Mendes likes this.