Join our zoo community

old zoo exhibis that could be used again

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by canaryboy, 20 Jul 2013.

1. canaryboy

canaryboy Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about some zoos stuck for size or have alot of 'ugly old zoo enclosures' if they could convert old zoo enclosures into something showcasing a different animal. Does anyone know any cool or unusual examples of this or any ideas of where they could do this?

2. canaryboy

canaryboy Well-Known Member

sorry i meant zoo exhibits

3. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

If you have a look at the Vienna zoo gallery they have quite a few old - not ugly though - enclosures which have been put to new use or expanded. The old menagerie buildings are quite attractive.

There are also examples like London Zoo where the elephant and rhino enclosures now house anoa, tapir and bearded pig. The stork and ostrich house is now part of a walk through aviary and houses the indoor accommodation for tigers. The old bear enclosures now are part if the Australian exhibit.

I'm sure there are lots of other examples.

4. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Dudley Zoo has to do this a lot, the place is littered with old Tecton buildings. Where the elephants Flossie and Flora used to live they have a walkthough wallaby enclosure. They have also opened up the old ape exhibit and now only keep Orang-utans in it. It still looks awful, but they seem happy enough and they have a good bit of space.

I think Cuddles the Killer Whale used to live where the sea lions live now, by the castle moat, but I'm never sure. It always amazes me that they fit and Killer Whale anywhere on site at all.

5. AgileGibbon

AgileGibbon Well-Known Member

They were kept in the sea lion enclosure, but it's even more astounding when you mention that they only had the left-hand half of it [looking towards the castle]

[post from Javan Rhino]

Last edited: 21 Jul 2013