Join our zoo community

Woodland Park Zoo One Of The 5 Best Zoos In North America

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 16 Jul 2009.

1. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They mention the sloths, flying-foxes, springhaas, armadillo, and pygmy loris as all staying. I'm having a hard time figuring out just what will be leaving the zoo? I don't remember what else was in there.

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@ANyhuis: I personally adore nocturnal houses, and the excellent ones are often highlights of any zoo visit for my wife and I. However, there are already so few in North American zoos, and now with the closures of both the Bronx and Woodland Park nocturnal habitats they are even rarer.;)

@Ituri: there are dourcoulis, vampire bats, lesser galagos (in two exhibits) and prehensile-tailed porcupines that will all be leaving for various AZA-accredited zoos.

3. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I seem to recall a pair of tamanduas in there as well.

4. snowleopard

@geomorph: the tamanduas are already listed in the article on the news link, and they will also be moving to the Adaptations building. On May 1st the new meerkat exhibit opens, along with all of the other alterations to the Adaptations building, and the $7.5 million West Entry opens to the public on the same day.

5. Taccachantrieri

Taccachantrieri Well-Known Member

Hmm... One wonders whether the money raised to bring in meerkats could have instead been used to retrofit the nocturnal house with more energy efficient technologies.

I really like nocturnal exhibits because of their potential to alert visitors to a largely ignored side of ecosystems.

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Amen to that. I'd be livid if my local zoo closed down a major house due to maintenance issues while spending millions on a new entrance.

*remembers local zoo is technically Twycross - bangs head on desk*

Seriously, was the new entrance started before the nocturnal house problems became apparent?

7. snowleopard

The nocturnal house is about 36 years old, and it is regarded as perhaps the most expensive building to maintain on the zoo grounds. Woodland Park Zoo has issued a number of press releases on its website due to the public shock at the upcoming closure of the building, but there is the fact that the zoo will save $300,000 per year once the building is closed. The new penguin habitat and west entry were part of a $14 million overhaul that was announced, designed and planned long before the economic recession hit the world. The zoo also cut 12 full-time job equivalencies, and all of this in a year where there was the #2 attendance in the 110 year history of the zoo!

8. Maguari

Well, at least they didn't start the entrance/meerkat/penguin thing knowing there was trouble brewing. It's a shame, though, that the money spent would (by your figures) have run the Nocturnal House for nearly 47 years (although doubtless it would cost more to maintain as time goes on!).

9. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ah, the classic disconnect between funds for shiny new things versus the ongoing costs of operating them. I doubt many of the donors who contributed to the (much-needed) new entry at WPZ would have had any interest in paying for keeper salaries and utility costs to keep the aging Night Exhibit in operation. Sad but true, pretty much anywhere.

10. Maguari

Not having visited, I shall take your word that the new entrance was very much a necessity.

But it is, as you say, sad.

11. snowleopard

This 14-page document highlights all of the 2010 events at the zoo. Included is information about the upcoming meerkat exhibit, new $7.5 million entrance, and summer events and activities:

http://www.zoo.org/Document.Doc?id=217

12. snowleopard

13. Taccachantrieri

Taccachantrieri Well-Known Member

From what I've seen in videos I am kind of disappointed with the new meerkat exhibit. it does not seem to match the Zoo's standards for exhibitry and husbandry.

Have you seen it yet Snowleopard? Do the meerkats have an outdoor exhibit too? Does the exhibit have any special features for the animals incorporated into the design?

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  14. snowleopard

The meerkat exhibit is tiny and hugely disappointing, especially for the poor little critters who came from nearby Point Defiance Zoo. There the fairly new meerkat exhibit is huge, and it includes and indoor and outdoor section. At Woodland Park there is only an indoor area, and yet if the Adaptations building (the old "Feline House") gets demolished in the future then the meerkats will be gone from the zoo again. There are plans for an "Asian Forest" zone that might or might not include keeping the Adaptations building, so it is somewhat ironic that the zoo has brought meerkats back after a decade's absence...but they could disappear once again!

15. LBM12344

LBM12344 New Member

WPZ is awesome when it's raining. There are just enough buildings around to duck in out of the rain, and the animals are usually pretty active in the drizzle. Usually it's not very busy and most of the people who are there are members who come often and are well behaved and polite.

16. LBM12344

LBM12344 New Member

The money for the meerkats was specifically donated/provided for the meerkats, and only the meerkats. I for one will miss the night house, it was one of my favorites. When the money comes in, the building will be made for efficient. Animals from the night house (anteaters,tree shrew, fruit bats) and located right next to the meerkats. I forgot to mention the kid-sized meerkat burrow that the little ones LOVE.

17. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I have often thought that a nice idea would have been to build a meerkat enclosure somewhere on the edge of the savannah exhibit with a low or hidden barrier to the rear so it looks like a continuous enclosure.

18. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

If any donors are reading this, PLEASE fund the renovation and reopening of the night house!!!

19. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is anyone going to the zoo's Pumpkin Bash? I'm on the email list and saw the animal pumpkin enrichment schedule. I always wanted to go to a zoo around Halloween where they give animals pumpkins. I asked Buffalo Zoo if they planned to do this, but they have a food enrichment day the day after Thanksgiving. :-( It sounds like this zoo goes all out! I should check out their facebook page to see if they'd post photos.

20. snowleopard