Join our zoo community

Heythrop Zoo Open Days 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by cliffxdavis, 1 Sep 2015.

1. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am going to first open day of 2015 this coming Sunday (6th September). I will post a report of my visit. Is there anything anyone particularly wants a report back on? It's my first visit, any advice?

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Notes of which species you see will be appreciated for keeping ZTL accurate :) this includes any reptiles and smaller mammals.

3. cliffxdavis

This was my first visit to HZG and I was very impressed with what I saw.

After getting our wristbands we went to the film theatre to see some of the animals that had been trained to work being put through their paces.The first was a black leopard, then two tigers, and finally two lions,

I was spellbound by their proximity and power and the way they cooperated with the trainer.
    I do not support circuses mainly for the way animals are housed when they are on the road (and the allegations of cruelty in their training) but the fact was these big cats were all in fantastic condition and seemed more alert and alive even when they were returned to their normal quarters.

The rest of the zoo reflected the owners choice of species that might appear in adverts, films or tv shows and these all appeared to be in good health and were well housed with the exception of the Humbolt Penguins. The penguin enclosure is new and very nicely landscaped. I think they have been successfully raising young but their pool seems just too small at about 10 foot by 10 foot.

I had a good day out at this zoo that is only open 3 days a year and I would recommend it as an interesting change from the mainstream. Next two days 12 & 13 September 2015. Allow 3 hours to see all the animals and the shows.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2015
  4. cliffxdavis

This is a list of everything that had a sign displayed, in brackets I have included the number I actually saw.

Blackbuck (7), Barasingha (3), Llama, Pygmy Goat, Dromedary (3) and Bactrian Camel (2), Rothschild’s Giraffe (1), Plains Zebra (Burchills?) (4), European Grey Wolf (4), Pygmy Hippopotamus (2), Striped Hyena (1), Red Bellied Piranha (5), Fly River Turtle (1), Clarius Catfish (1), Lyle’s Fruit Bat, Egyptian Fruit Bat, Red Eared Terrapin, Florida Softshell Turtle, Spectacled Caiman, Common Green Iguana, Meerkat (3), African Crested Porcupine (1), Racoon (1), Striped Skunk (2), European Brown Bear (2), Black Leopard (1), Leopard, Greater Flamingo (5), Sinaloan Milksnake (1), Leopard Gecko, Pueblan Milk Snake, Nelsons Milk Snake, Carpet Python, Mexican Black Kingsnake, Royal Python, Cane Toad, Morelet’s Crocodile (4), Australian Water Dragon, Tokay Gecko, Argentine Horned Frog, Veiled Chameleon (1), Red Legged Tarantula, American Alligator (4), Gila Monster (1), Bengal Tiger (2), Rhesus Macaque (5), Red Kangaroo (2), Sulcata Tortoise (1) Aldabra Giant Tortoise (1), African Lion (2), Squirrel Monkey (6+), Ring Tailed Lemur (2+), Polish Mute Swan (3+), West African Crowned Crane, European White Stork, Laughing Kookaburra (2), Raven (1), Grey Squirrel, Crab Eating cross Rhesus Macaque (2), Black Capped Squirrel Monkey, Pink Backed Pelican, Humbolt Penguins(5+), Whites Tree Frogs (1), African Bullfrog, Giant Land Snails, Green Anaconda (1), Egyptian Cobra, Plated Lizard, Cat Eyed Snake and Mangrove Snake.

5. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looking forward to my visit this coming Saturday afternoon , as part of a weekend of visiting Cotswolds collections .

6. Snowy Owl

Snowy Owl Well-Known Member

I spotted a 2 toed sloth, 1 badger, 2 red foxes and a black fox as well on my visit today.

There was also at least 4 lions and tigers on site

7. ISOE2012

ISOE2012 Well-Known Member

Their full contact with large carnivores makes me uneasy. As well as the fact that there are also camel rides and squirrel monkeys on harnesses from what has been posted. Feels a bit too circusy to me...Hmm..

8. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

Well that is their background...

9. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

They are animal trainers, some of the best in the UK in fact.
    They are also very good animal keepers indeed, who know and keep their animals very well.

10. cliffxdavis

That was certainly my impression.

11. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I enjoyed the big cat demonstrations and an insight how adverts using them are created . It was fascinating to see how interested the cats were in the audience , particularly the male tiger , it was good enrichment for them .

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

13. anidude

anidude Well-Known Member

i noticed the asian black bear wasnt on the list has it died or been moved elsewhere

14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Heythrop Zoo has issued a statement on their Facebook page, noting that contrary to the claims in the linked article that they had refused to comment, the Mail did not give them the opportunity to do so whatsoever. They then go on to give a detailed rebuttal to the claims made in the article:

To distinguish the official statement from the introduction and conclusion, I have placed it in bold in the above quotation.

15. cliffxdavis

Thin end of the wedge.

This is an attack on an easy target by a special interest anti captivity campaign group. The article starts with an attack on performing animals (and the jury is out there, personally I think interaction with the animals as conducted at Heythorp most likely stimulates them) and goes on to be broadly anti captivity.

"But investigators from the Captive Animals Protection Society claimed its enclosures are so barren that they are likely to cause suffering.
    CAPS said big cats held at Heythrop were showing signs of stress such as swaying or head-tilting. Campaigners also claim the penguin pool is not big enough to fit in all the penguins at once, the hippo enclosure appears to be only concrete with a dirty-looking pool and a bit of straw, and that a cockatoo has been kept in a small, inadequate cage."

Penguin enclosure is a good size and nicely landscaped although the pool is too small but the Hippos have plenty of room and the water was clean when I was there but as you know hippo water does not stay clean very long.

Heythrop today, your local zoo tomorrow.

16. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

CAPS have long been trying to get their claws into Heythrop.
    They have made several attempts to undermine their work, and although some of this information is rather dated, their "use of" Chris Packham is a new tactic. Gaining support from an MP is also a tried and tested method used before. It is a shame that Chris Packham has "stabbed Jim in the back" as it appears. Chris Packham is known for his outrageous outbursts, but he is not generally thought of as being anti-zoo.

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

isn't Chris Packham going out with the lady who runs the Isle of Wight Zoo? (I was just googling him - I don't think we get him on NZ tv). It will be interesting to see if he comes out with his side of the story - i.e. what he actually said!

I had a look at the article and noted a photo used of the polar bear - which died in 2014!

18. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes he is, or was,? seeing Charlotte Corney, owner of Sandown Zoo.