Join our zoo community

Opening a Wildlife Park/Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Australia' started by timelessnotes, 15 Oct 2012.

1. timelessnotes

timelessnotes New Member

Hello,

I am currently really looking into opening a wildlife park for endangered animals, mainly tigers. I am not sure if the process is very different from opening a private zoo, but I thought I'd try my luck here.

Does anyone here know what state is legal/easiest to open sanctuaries to exotic animals? And if so, (I'm thinking Victoria or Queensland), what requirements would be needed? Do I need a degree in Zoology and what type of license would I need for a wildlife park?

Where would I start to begin getting approval and funds for such a big investment? Does anyone know if I can get sponsored by companies?

Thanks in advance to all who reply!

Last edited: 15 Oct 2012
  2. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What do you think is the difference between opening a "sanctuary" and opening a private zoo?

3. timelessnotes

timelessnotes New Member

I don't believe there would be too much difference. In the end, a wildlife park and a zoo are (I think) basically of the same family?

4. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes. Entirely the same thing. A "sanctuary" often refers in Australia to places that have take in rehab animals from the wild, may or may not keep them permanently if they're not releasable and may or may not be open to the public. Obviously not what you're talking about, which is exotics.

I guess it's imaginable that the Australian programs would be open to a very deep-pocketed individual (with either suitable experience or a willingness to hire someone who has it to be in charge) providing spaces to programs without opening to the public. A sort of Australian White Oak Conservation Centre. But if you're talking about being open to the public, then let's call it what it is: a zoo. :)

5. timelessnotes

timelessnotes New Member

Thank you so much! I've been having trouble finding out what Australia calls it :p I would like to open it to the public, but as a sort of small safari zoo, where tourists can walk/drive through set paths and see the animals in a more open area.
    Now I know what I am actually looking at, it's a lot easier :)

6. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It always seems surprising to me that someone in a position to open a zoo or whatever you wish to call it turns to a site like this for information. I'd expect the level of knowledge would already exceed this at the point you were looking to get started.

7. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Don't mix up "in a position" with "who has a wish". ;)

8. timelessnotes

timelessnotes New Member

Oh forgive me, I am having a lot of trouble finding the details of anything over in Australia - this is something I've only just started being serious about, so I am not currently in a position to open a zoo anytime soon! I just wanted to see if anyone had any information that could help me, it's quite hard to find any information at all here :) you have to start somewhere!