Join our zoo community

Opinion thread - top 5 ape enclosures

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ShonenJake13, 5 Aug 2017.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, during the winter opening hours I imagine they have free access. Possibly shut out in good summer weather though as I've never seen them temporarily disappear from view at all during summer season visits. But with a covered enclosure as they have they have no real need to anyway.

2. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

I haven't visited that many ape enclosures but I will list those that I have:

Orangutans
    I start with orangutans as they are my favourite great apes. The Chester exhibits for them in my opinion are brilliant, and I find it very difficult to choose between the two but I think that Monsoon Forest will have to be my favourite, as I like how unique it is. Blackpool's orangutan enclosure is decent but it could be better, and I am not too fond of the "tunnel-rocks" in them.

Chimpanzees
    I usually try and avoid the Chimpanzee house at Chester as it is really cramped and the viewing is very poor. It is a very old building, but better than the old ape house, in my opinion. The outdoor enclosure is fine, though and gives the chimps everything that they need.

On the other hand, Copenhagen's chimpanzee enclosure is one that I am not too impressed with. The chimps have no outdoor access and are completely kept inside with little space and little enrichment. The ironic thing is though, is that Copenhagen is the studbook holder for Chimps in Europe, and as the studbook holder, I thought that the zoo's enclosure should be of a better standard. I know that a few times they have threatened to create a new exhibit for the chimps but up till now, it has never happened.

The only other chimp exhibit that I have visited is the one at Welsh Mountain Zoo. I have only visited WMZ once and didn't get a good look at the chimp enclosure but I remember that it was a decent one, though.

Gorillas
    Blackpool is the only zoo that I have visited that has gorillas, so I cannot really compare it to anything else. The only thing that I could say about it is that is could be better, but at the same time it could be worse.

I still haven't visited a zoo with bonobos but at the moment they are very close to the top of my bucket list.

Komodo99 likes this.