Join our zoo community

Zoorasia Opinions on zoorasia animal collection.

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Idk, 23 Aug 2021.

Tags:
  1. Idk

Idk Active Member

Whats everyone's opinion on zoorasia collection size.Its pretty small for being a 130acre size zoo.And it's probably the biggest complain of the zoo from japanese people.

2. Idk

Idk Active Member

I personally think I fine,but should be improved if possible.Ive been there a good amount of times and there are alot of unutilized space that's big enough for smaller mammals or birds.

3. FrancoiseLangur

FrancoiseLangur Well-Known Member

I think the number of species kept at Zoorasia is appropriate. A modern and naturalistic zoo without a large number of animals being squashed up in small cages or odd-looking ‘experimental’ exhibits, was the whole concept of ‘Yokohama’s new zoo’.

Ueno Zoo keep more than 500 species, whereas Zoorasia keep only just a little more than a 100, in a land four times as large as Ueno’s. I think the greenery and the valley serve fine as places for visitors to rest, also providing plenty of oxygen to the animals. Therefore, there is no need to utilise that area to introduce new animals.

Although Zoorasia’s collection is not huge, most of the exhibits are well-organised and the animals have enough space to show their real nature.

Zoos do not exist just for humans. I think Zoorasia’s collection size is fine as it is.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  4. Idk

Idk Active Member

I never heard of this,what was the concept of yokohama's new zoo.

5. FrancoiseLangur

FrancoiseLangur Well-Known Member

Hi ldk,

I think you can find quite a lot of articles on the internet about the opening of Zoorasia in 1999. If you need help, let me know (though I’m not very active).