Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo orangutans

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by orang09, 16 Oct 2007.

1. Duma

Duma Member

Oh OK thanks Stripes so is it sort of like Arazpa, an oraganisation that looks after the stud books etc

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes the EEP is the European equvilent.

3. Duma

Duma Member

Cool thanks

4. monkeyworld

monkeyworld Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how the Auckland 3 are getting on in their new home ?

5. Connor91

Connor91 Well-Known Member

Connor91: Anyone know the answer to this?

6. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Is there any current news regarding Auckland's orang group?

7. ZooGirl101

ZooGirl101 Well-Known Member

The current two familys of Orang-Utans are Isim (he was born there) and Gangsa, they live in the old enclosure of Horst, Indra and Intan (who now live in Florida). Then the main enclosure holds Charlie (who is around 30 years of age now) Melur, her son Madju and her sister Wanita. Those are the current orangs at Auckland Zoo.

8. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I didn't want to start an entirely new thread for what would probably be a simple answer.

Here in Melbourne, we get reruns of 'The Zoo', and last night's episode had a segment on the free-range cotton top tamarins at Auckland Zoo.

Are they still free-ranging?

Cheers.

9. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

No, and haven't been for a long time, maybe getting close to 10 years now? I think the problem was they didn't stay in the part of the zoo, around the rainforest, that they were supposed to stay in, and had to be chased back by keepers quite regularly. I'm pretty sure they never left the zoo grounds though. Their original corner exhibit in the Rainforest is now empty, probably because it was too small without the free-ranging. They were move to an old bear pit (sounds much worse than it was), and are now in an excellent custom built exhibit back next to the Rainforest.

There are some pictures in the Auckland Zoo gallery (http://www.zoochat.com/14/new-cotton-top-enclosure-180543/ and http://www.zoochat.com/14/new-cotton-top-enclosure-180542/ note the island was going to be part of the exhibit, but that didnt work out, main part of exhibit behind boardwalk) and the new enclosure was discussed in one of the thread, but not sure which!

Wellington Zoo also used to have free-ranging cotton-top tamarins, but this stopped a few years ago too, not sure why.

10. nanoboy

Cheers for the comprehensive answer. Would have been a treat to see them free-ranging. Your response suggests that we are getting reruns that are more than 10 years old in Melbourne!!

11. zooboy28

Yes, in fact I have just had a look at the book published about the very first season of The Zoo, called Meet the Locals, which was published in 2000. This has small sections on most of the stories covered in that season, and includes a section on the tamarins and how they weren't very good at staying in their designated area. So yes, it probably has been a good ten years since they were free-range, and you guys are at least 10 series behind us! If there has been an episode on Larry the camel, your definately still on season 1.

12. ZooGirl101

Yes you are right. They no longer are free range. That must of been in one of the first zoo episodes. The reason for this was that they were running down to reptile row and trying to get in with the geckos.

13. nanoboy

Oh no. And I thought Kiwis were the ones to get things after everyone else. :p

I believe that the TV station had shown episodes from 2010 until a few weeks ago, and have now started the loop again. It's shown every week night, so I suppose they could probably get through an entire season in a month.

To give you an idea of what I believe to be a more 'recent' episode: the cheetahs from South Africa arrived, and they cleared out the elephant (?) enclosure to set up the exercise contraption with the ropes and pulleys to give the cheetahs a good run. In another episode, I think, a primate (not sure what kind because it was in a metal box) was sent to a zoo in Florida I think, and it was a tearful goodbye at the airport.

14. ZooGirl101

Yes. That "primate" was 3 of the zoo's Bornean Orang-utans. Isim, Indra and Horst were on their way to Florida. Keep Christine Tintinger had known them for 25 years so she was very upset.

15. zooboy28

I think the Cheetahs may be part of the current (first) season, as they arrived in 1999/2000 I think, while the Orang-Utans sent to Florida must have been from the 2010 season, as that only happened in 2009. I think theres only 10-12 episodes per season, so you would get through them pretty quick.

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Last edited: 24 Jun 2011
  17. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

In Sydney, they constantly show repeats from the first episode right up to the latest, and this has been done a few times now (since they have been re-running the program for so long). I only wish the Aussie version of 'The Zoo' was still on Channel 7........

18. ZooGirl101

The cheetahs arrived way later than that. And yes, the orangs did leave in 2009. Near the end of the year.

19. nanoboy

Cheers for all the info guys.

Looks like I inadvertently brought the thread back to orangutans. :)

20. ZooGirl101

You welcome. I am like one of the biggest fans of Auckland Zoo. So if u want to know more, feel free to ask!