Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden Original Cat House Inhabitants

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 17 Aug 2010.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member

Just found an online article from the January 1990 issue of International Zoo Yearbook. It is about the redo of the Cincinnati Zoo Carnivore House into the Cat House, reopened in 1985. Cat House is still there with a smaller (but impressive) diversity of cats, although it is set for another makeover.

Here is the original list of species exhibited - boy do I wish I could have gone back then to see marbled cats (the only species on the list I do not have photos of).

caracal
    ocelot
    fishing cat
    jaguarundi
    pallas cat
    pampas cat
    black footed cat
    margay
    rusty spotted cat
    marbled cat
    bobcat
    siberian lynx
    puma
    serval
    persian leopard
    jaguar
    snow leopard
    clouded leopard

And of course this does not include the cats that were (and still are) held in separate outdoor grottoes - lion, tiger, cheetah. Talk about a cat collection!

Last edited: 17 Aug 2010
    Grant likes this.
  2. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member

Defiantly an impressive list of felines!

3. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

That is an amazing collection of small cats in particular. I just wish those animals, and the ones that are still there, had much better exhibits...

4. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member

Cat Species

Cincinnati Zoo cat species. They also had Jungle Cats, Leopard Cats too! I loved the place. I was fortunate to have gone there many times. It even had the lingering cat smell throughout the circular rotunda. I loved it regardless. It was so cool to see all those different species!

5. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member

I remember the different color shades of the jungle cats, and the small leopard cats cute! Saw both the marbled cat and striped cheetah in the renovated cat house! An another AWESOME species they had was the Temminck's Golden Cat!