Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden Original Cat House Inhabitants

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 17 Aug 2010.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just found an online article from the January 1990 issue of International Zoo Yearbook. It is about the redo of the Cincinnati Zoo Carnivore House into the Cat House, reopened in 1985. Cat House is still there with a smaller (but impressive) diversity of cats, although it is set for another makeover.

Here is the original list of species exhibited - boy do I wish I could have gone back then to see marbled cats (the only species on the list I do not have photos of).

caracal
    ocelot
    fishing cat
    jaguarundi
    pallas cat
    pampas cat
    black footed cat
    margay
    rusty spotted cat
    marbled cat
    bobcat
    siberian lynx
    puma
    serval
    persian leopard
    jaguar
    snow leopard
    clouded leopard

And of course this does not include the cats that were (and still are) held in separate outdoor grottoes - lion, tiger, cheetah. Talk about a cat collection!

Last edited: 17 Aug 2010
    steveroberts, evilmonkey239 and Grant like this.
  2. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Defiantly an impressive list of felines!

steveroberts likes this.
  3. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

That is an amazing collection of small cats in particular. I just wish those animals, and the ones that are still there, had much better exhibits...

4. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cat Species

Cincinnati Zoo cat species. They also had Jungle Cats, Leopard Cats too! I loved the place. I was fortunate to have gone there many times. It even had the lingering cat smell throughout the circular rotunda. I loved it regardless. It was so cool to see all those different species!

Arizona Docent and evilmonkey239 like this.
  5. junglejim

I remember the different color shades of the jungle cats, and the small leopard cats cute! Saw both the marbled cat and striped cheetah in the renovated cat house! An another AWESOME species they had was the Temminck's Golden Cat!

steveroberts and Arizona Docent like this.
  6. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

I remember the temmick's golden cats and the jungle cats but not the leopard cat's. How long did the Cincy zoo have them?

steveroberts likes this.
  7. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Ed Maruska was a fine Old School zoo director.

8. junglejim

Don't know speciiic number of years, but I know they were there late 70's on through the mid 80's.

9. junglejim

Indeed he was. Brookfield Zoo also had some very good directors in 70's and 80's. Sad doesn't seem to be same caliber of zoo directors today focused on collections. I know much today is pc and conversation issues, and all issues now are bell and whistles of being cash cow to raiding peoples wallets of money in order to justify their means.

10. Arizona Docent

For the record I saw the last golden cat in the USA here golden cat, Cincy Zoo - ZooChat and the last pampas cats in the USA here black pampas cat - ZooChat . My only regret is that I did not get there in time to see the standard morph of pampas cat or marbled cat or king cheetah (though I did see king cheetah at Saint Louis Zoo).

11. Arizona Docent

I am pretty sure the cheetahs, including the king (striped) were in a larger yard across from the Cat House, not in the Cat House itself. When I visited the king cheetah had already died but they still had the signage up explaining what a king cheetah is.

12. junglejim

I was very fortunate to have seen the King Cheetah in the Cat House, and later was moved into a grassy yard outside the cat house too. Which of course in that yard was difficult to readily see because both of grass, and barriers looking up into exhibit.

13. Arizona Docent

They had a cheetah INSIDE the Cat House? There are no exhibits big enough for a cheetah. That is dreadful (glad they moved it to the outside yard later).

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

Few! I am now glad the cat house was redone into Night hunters! That's horrible!

15. junglejim

Unfortunately ya it wasn't the best housing for that species in what was clouded leopards old exhibit. Pretty much best cheetah could do is lay around lounging without any possiblity of active running around the exclosure. Of course, for any cat love it was tickled pink to be able to see a king cheetah so up close like that. As I'm writing this I'm longing to be able to one day see this wonderful species agian in the future. An another side note how wonderful to see white tigers alive in zoo's.. Though I know white tigers aren't pc to todays standards. Guess us real animal lovers rejoice in seeing real animals for being the special creatures they all are!

16. Arizona Docent

I like white tigers as well, but don't say that too loudly on ZooChat or you will be shot down as a heretic. ;) As for seeing a king cheetah in USA again, it seems unlikely. There was one at the private LEO Conservation Center in Connecticut that closed early this year. Someone in the cheetah SSP told me all the LEO cheetahs (which I presume includes the one king) were moved to Virginia Safari Park. However my attempts to contact them via emial and Facebook Messenger have not received any replies and the times I looked at their Facebook page there was never any mention of a king cheetah (which I would think they would want to promote).

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I feel about white tigers the same way I feel about bulldogs and reality television: seeing them brings me a personal satisfaction, but with the always-nagging knowledge that they are inherently problematic and ideally shouldn't exist. At least Cincinnati isn't breeding them.

What was the timeline during which the Cat House was keeping cheetahs strictly indoors?

18. bgeezle513

bgeezle513 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They were kept outside where the wolves are now I don't remember them being in the cat house

StoppableSan likes this.