Join our zoo community

ostrich enrichment

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by georginaA, 11 Mar 2016.

Tags:
  1. georginaA

georginaA Member

Dear all, I'm supporting a zoo improvement programme and I'm looking for enrichment suggestions for ostriches to help reduce feather plucking (on each other)? Cabbages tied to trees and foraging bowls have been tried with some success. Most likely the plucking will now be an inherent behaviour but if it can be reduced further by providing alternative options that would be great. The enclosure is an open paddock with rail fencing. Finally, they don't currently have access to bathing - how important is bathing to ostriches (read differing opinions)?

Once again, thank you in advance for your advice

2. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

These are recommended by animalenrichment.org, although I can’t find any online.

1) Copenhagen Zoo (1992). Enrichment for Ostriches and Rheas. The Shape of Enrichment: 1(1): 7.

2) Steele, J. (2000). Enrichment Options - Ostrich. Animal Keepers Forum 27(2): 76.

3) Ross, J. (2001). Ostrich Husbandry: A Team Effort. AAZK Annual Conference Proceedings: 44-48. 3.

3. georginaA

georginaA Member

ah yes, shape of enrichment. Thanks, I'll look those up.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope dietary deficiencies were checked for and excluded. Puzzle feeers sound good idea.

6. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Placing them in enclosure with high grasses. Several-parts enclosures that will allow for grass to grow (in spring/summer). The would investigate in the grass.

7. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't know how important the bathing is to them, as I'm not that familiar with ostrich husbandry, but I've seen them enjoy it quite a lot.