Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo otters

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by nicola08, 3 Jul 2009.

1. Axl2011

Axl2011 Member

Here's some recent information:

T'ealc (not Te ook) bred with Jaya and had 4 offspring - 3 males (Jala, Jari and Jandra) the 4th pup died at birth
    T'ealc also bred with Jade to produce 5 pups - all males - they weren't named
    Nip and Jade had two litters: 22 May 2002 - Nadi (m), Jana (f), Java (f); 7 April 2003 - Jemima (f), Jin (f), Jeta (f), Jandi (f)
    Jaya was born on 11/11/1990
    Wono and Jaya were breeding partners - Moba was their only offspring

Jade and T'ealc (born 1998?) had five unamed male pups? When were they born and did they die quite young?

The pups were born 4/5/2001. They were transferred to National Zoo, Canberra.

2. When was Moba born and was he Jaya's first offspring, I wasn't sure whether Jade was Jaya's daughter?

Moba was born 15/4/1996 and yes he was Jaya's first offspring.
    Jade is Jaya's daughter.

3. Where did Jaya, Wono and Nip come from and did Wono sire any other pups besides Moba?

Jaya and Wono came to us from Adelaide and Nip came from New Plymouth. Wono has sired several litters.

4. What happened to T'ealc and the reaminder of Jade's six daughters, I know Jin was relocated to Wellington and Jana is your new breeding female but I wasn't sure about the other four?

T'ealc went to Wellington Zoo. Jade's daughters were sent to other zoos -1 to Wellington, 2 to Willowbank and 3 still remain at Auckland.

2. lionboy

lionboy Well-Known Member

thanks heaps heaps heaps u r awsome

3. lionboy

how did u find all that amazing what were wono pups called and where were thay born thanks heaps

4. lionboy

and where do bonnie and mari come in

5. Animalgeek

Animalgeek Well-Known Member

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...TFzej4JnHKNoNfVrg&sig2=_ErAk4P1ebrRZ1qqqwBSIw

On the link above it says that jala is 5 years old in 2001 is that the same Jala listed above and it also states that he use to live in a bachelor group would this be his litter mates Jari and Jandra?

Also the 5 male pups born to Jade and T'ealc were named No lips' Big lips' Oscar’ Omar and Mustache.

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...W7XGVhClSmfRIQ11Q&sig2=PZSMeFjjPrhiHzm_NOMCtw

On the link above it says that a male otter called Oscar and Jakura came from Auckland and willowbank zoos in 2005 is this the same Oscar that came from Auckland zoo?

Any Info will be very much appreciated thanks heaps 

6. myanimaltails

myanimaltails Member

Hi AnimalGeek,

Currently Jeta is on her own in the old Porcupine enclosure, next to the Red Panda's. Kanan and Banyu are together in the Rainforest, and Juno and Java are together in the entrance area next to the indoor Tiger enclosure. The plan is to re-do Jeta's enclosure and add a male to it, and put Juno and Java together with the other male in the entrance area.

7. Animalgeek

Animalgeek Well-Known Member

i think a male has arrived maybey not to sure and yes jeta inext to the red pandas java and juno togeather and the boys in the rainforest

8. zoogirl2007

zoogirl2007 New Member

Myanimaltales who are you? because i am trying to work this out do you work at the zoo

9. myanimaltails

myanimaltails Member

Hi zoogirl, no I don't work at the Zoo...Yet :)
    I volunteer on section but volunteers get given a lot of information on the animals, so we can help the public and answer their questions. I just happen to write all of it down.

I think another male has arrived but I haven't heard any more news on it yet.

10. zoogirl2007

zoogirl2007 New Member

hahahaha same i am a zoo volunteer iswell but i don't do section work

11. Chimo

Chimo Well-Known Member

Hamilton Zoo may house otters again once in the next couple of years. If they choose not to extend the serval enclousre, upon the passing of their remaining bobcat, this enclosure could be suitable as it is covered and fits in with the rainforest theme, lemurs, spider monkeys, tamarins etc. If the breeding pair at Auckland produce pups again, their two adult sons (2009) may be suitable for relocation. An enclosure adjacent to the siamangs may be suitable for similar reasons as mentioned above.

12. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What happened to the otters pups Kanyan and Banyu (born 2009)?

Are Jumo and Jeta's 2014 and 2015 litters still at the zoo?