Join our zoo community

Our first Dutch outing

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Javan Rhino, 6 Mar 2015.

1. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Our second Dutch outing

I just thought I would update this thread as, as the title suggests, we are soon to embark on our second Dutch outing. We are again going to Amsterdam at the start of June, and flights and hotel are booked.

Again, as is customary, I'm looking for advice and experiences from people on the zoos we plan to visit [we have the list of which zoos we're doing fairly nailed down]. The primary aim is to reach a couple of places we missed last time, whilst revisiting a couple that we did do.

We are going 4th-11th June [Saturday to Saturday] and all being well land at Schiphol at 9:30am. We then plan to get a bus straight to Alphen aan den Rijn and visit VogelPark Avifauna. This is a collection I was gutted to have missed last time, but something had to give and it ended up being that one. We will be taking our time around here and hoping to see everything possible, and then if we have time I would like to double it up with Stichting Schildpaddencentrum, but again we won't be rushing.

On following days, we plan to revisit Natura Artis Magistra [we want to do this relatively early - I feel that we were too tired to enjoy it properly last year as we did it at the end of a hectic week] and Burgers' Zoo, Arnhem.

We are hoping to do what will be 2 new collections for us. These are Landgoed Hoenderdaell at Anna Paulowna and Ouwehands Zoo, Rhenen. As for the latter, that one may be yet subject to change as we were undecided between that, the new Wildlands Adventure Zoo, Emmen and Diergaarde Blijdorp, Rotterdam. However, Emmen seems to have extortionate entrance fee at 26.50 euros and is too far away for what we're comfortable with. Also, we did Rotterdam last year, and whilst I highly enjoyed it I have seen it, so Ouwehands gives us a chance at somewhere different.

Any advice on the collections would be great. What are the highlights at each zoo [species and exhibits]? Any tricks and times to get a better chance at seeing the more elusive species? Any other advice in general?

As usual, thanks in advance for any replies :)

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm sure wherever you go you will enjoy it. I'd love to go to those zoos.

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I really don't see why you would want to visit Hoenderdael over Ouwehands and Wildlands....

I did not really like Ouwehands previously, but they are changing quickly with adding nice enclosures (and finally also adding rarities). The tarsiers should come on show this year. So that alone should be reason enough...

Hoenderdael is not too special, though the owner has a very big mouth, so it appears more than it currently is....

I think Wildlands would make an interesting visit, though it is far away from Amsterdam. But I do not have very high expectations myself about this new zoo, but maybe I will be surprised... And 26,50 is not more expensive than many english zoos ;)

Alternatively Safaripark Beekse Bergen would be very interesting as well (being about 2 hours away from Amsterdam with train+bus), this is one of the better safariparks around with a good broad collection and fine enclosures.

4. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If the tarsiers go on-show, I will definitely be visiting Ouwehands [likewise for the spotted cuscus] :p.

As for Hoenderdael, I was after something that wouldn't take all day, plus I would quite like to see the Golden-necked cassowary [it seems I'm chasing after everything that left RSCC on this one].

I know its not too expensive, but its certainly the priciest one on the list, plus I try to keep within a 1-2 hour radius, and much prefer direct trains rather than changes where possible, so at the moment I think Emmen is just a bit out for us :).

I quite like the sound of Beekse Bergen, but I would rather stick with current list for this trip. I've now started my driving lessons, so hopefully the next time we go I will be driving which I would prefer for any safari parks :)