Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo "OUR ZOO"

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SHAVINGTONZOO, 20 Aug 2014.

1. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes, I don`t blame Chester for using the programme to benefit themselves in many ways.
    As I said there is a very clear distinction between drama and documentary, and perhaps more should have been made of that fact.
    Though I do see where you are coming from, indeed had the drama been made charting the loose history of a particular zoo I am familiar with myself, and passionate about too, then maybe I would feel the same way about it ?

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

After 4 episodes, I haven't really changed my views. The basic story is there, but many of the details have been changed and generally sentimentalised. That doesn't really matter in a popular drama, as several people have already said.
    But I feel that 'Our Zoo' is undermined by a basic failure: I cannot believe in the portrayal of George Mottershead. My previous comment about the omission of his moustache is symptomatic of this failure. This version of Mr Mottershead looks and acts like a mixture of the young W H Auden and Norman Wisdom - a bit of a wimp with big beautiful ideas, feelings of inadequacy and an improbable popular success at the end of each episode. I cannot suspend disbelief. The real Mr Mottershead accomplished twice as much as this fictional one could ever have done. Take a look at any photo of the man himself, and his moustache, not a big man - but a confident one; he did have imagination and ideas, but he was also a bit of a showman with plenty of resilience and down-to-earth common sense. I'm sure that he did rely on the support of his family and he did attract some benefactors, as the drama shows - but I am also sure that he must have had much more drive and personality than 'Our Zoo' allows him.

Alan

3. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

He was also a terrible husband and a womanising cheat.

The people that matter have given the series their approval, that should be enough for everyone.

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is a practical necessity for a show like this, of course, but it is hardly a guarantee of dramatic quality. Everyone must make their own judgement.

Alan

5. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

Have any members of zoo chat yet praised the actors in this series, in particular the young Honor Kneafsey who plays June Motteshead, Anne Reid who plays Lucy Motteshead and last nights appearance of Celia Imrie as Lady Daphne Goodwin? Also of note is how well the cast members have worked with the animals, probably not as they are too busy criticising the programme for using the wrong species or bear or the actor who plays George Motteshead's lack of facial hair.

6. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Well said.

7. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has anybody criticised the use of the wrong species of bear?

8. Animal Friendly

Yes, here it is.

9. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm sorry that you think that is a crictisism, I was just stating a fact. I think the programme is very good, and the actors are all doing a good job.

10. ChesterZooFan

ChesterZooFan Well-Known Member

The website is very clear on the true version of the zoos history.

You are right they are headlining Our Zoo as the story of Chester and hence without further investigation many people will believe this is the actual version.

However those who are more interested will soon discover the real story by reviewing the comprehensive true version which is stated on the website as well.

11. mrcriss

mrcriss Well-Known Member

Surprised none of the nitpickers have picked up on the fact that "Queenie" the iguana is clearly male! Or are they too worried about moustache deficiency to notice?:D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D

12. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly "likes this", he also likes the attention to detail the producers of this show have taken with other details, perhaps less important and minor details to some members , ie authentic to the period costuming and other props including the vehicles used, speaking as someone who has a very keen interest in preserved road vehicles as well as zoos and animals, remember, as clearly stated at the beginning of every episode , BASED on a true story.:)

13. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Did Belle Vue uniforms really carry the letters BZV in that order?

Only asking .....

;)

14. Animal Friendly

I could not honestly say if I noticed the order of lettering on the Belle Vue keepers uniform, tonight I must admit my eyes were very much on her ladyship, very nice:):), I will have another look at the programme tomorrow, also to ensure if the Belle Vue van had the correct type of tyres on the wheels, :)

15. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

I've just been looking through my Belle Vue books etc and on the photos of keepers I cannot make out any lettering on their lapels. On some photos the uniforms have braiding. Various drawings in Clinton Keeling's publications have the emblem as just BV.

16. Animal Friendly

On a serious note :) regarding this series, it crossed my mind while watching tonight's episode regarding the local opposition Mr. Motteshead experienced from local residents when he started Chester Zoo. Mr Jimmy Chipperfield had a certain amount of local opposition in the sixties when he announced plans for opening a safari park at Longleat, when it opened most of the respectable zoo establishment snubbed it and did not turn up for an official opening. Mr. Motteshead being the exception and spoke very favourably about this new venture, the chain link fencing installed at Longleat was the same as used at Chester in the lion enclosure, perhaps Mr. Motteshead realised what it felt like to face opposition when starting a new zoological establishment, here we are in 2014 and Mr. Jim's niece and her husband are supplying the animals for this television series based on the opening of Chester Zoo.

17. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Really enjoying this programme as it is a drama that leaves you feeling a little warm, Darling birds of May for the 20teens and the girl that plays June is a revelation, brilliant little actress.
    N.B Did anyone see the trailer beforehand for the new Attenborough series, looks spectacular.

18. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

It seems some local press aren't too impressed with what they believe to be not entirely factual content.

"So far in Our Zoo, BBC1’s story of the creation of Chester Zoo, viewers have seen the Mottershead family incur the wrath of sceptics, including a reporter from the fictitious Chester Herald. But the truth is that the local press were far more complimentary of the zoo in the run up to its opening, as CARMELLA DE LUCIA exclusively reports:"

Press hailed Chester Zoo as Garden of Eden in 1931 - Chester Chronicle

19. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

But at the foot of that page is an article lauding the accuracy of it by an Upton historian!

Our Zoo: Upton historian says show rings true - Chester Chronicle

darned journalists!!!

20. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

I think they key phrase is "based on", which covers pretty much any accuracy or inaccuracy! ;)

The historian is a bit vague:

"My understanding is that there were aristocratic figures around at the time -which would explain the character of Lady Katherine in our Zoo. I believe it was the Duke of Westminster who supported Mr Mottershead at some point..."

The involvement of the Westminsters throughout the zoo's history is fairly well documented, including in later years through the various versions of Zoo News and Guide. The Duke even donated some animals. In early years Lord Leverhulme was also involved and, perhaps more importantly, the zoo also had other key, wealthy benefactors, such as Esther Holt and Ms. Tompkins-Grafton, who donated in 1944 what in today's money would be about £700K.