Join our zoo community

Out-of-place wildlife in media

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Alex Roman, 24 Oct 2021.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Have you actually *seen* the movie? :p

I mean, it's terrible - so you might be better-off without having seen it!

2. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do you not like to "move it, move it"?

evilmonkey239 and Bisonfan like this.
  3. Bisonfan

Bisonfan Well-Known Member

oh is it beacuse of the lemurs?

4. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

If you’re going after Zootopia you might as well also go after Animal Crossing.

5. Bisonfan

Bisonfan Well-Known Member

i still think zootopia is a good movie.

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Clearly you've never seen the movie! It explains how all of those animals get there.
    What, a movie animal about talking mammals in a human-like society is unrealistic? No, that can't be!

7. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Night at the Museum also briefly showed big yellow snake that I assume to be Burmese python in the Hall of African Mammals section. Also, the section is home to an ostrich. While certainly African, obviously not a mammal.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  8. Alex Roman

Alex Roman Well-Known Member

Me too tbh, at least they got Judy Hopps's earbuds where rabbits' ears actually are and not on the side not touching where the ears aren't and where human ears would be.

So Zootopia did conform to some reality.

Bisonfan and evilmonkey239 like this.
  9. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the American Dad episode "Buck, Wild," a moose is briefly depicted kicking a a person. The show is set in Virginia.

10. Alex Roman

Gravity Falls, according to TV Tropes, has alligators in Oregon.

East Texas has the closest wild alligators to Oregon or anywhere in the western US, really.

11. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Moose and grizzly bears also appear in Disney’s version of Pocahontas, also set in Virginia.

Haliaeetus likes this.
  12. evilmonkey239

Indeed. The rabbit characters are also accurately depicted without paw pads, for once.

13. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Gravity Falls also has excuses for having alligators.

14. evilmonkey239

Another example I thought of: the sci-fi series Zoo has this all over the place. We see gray wolves in Mississippi (not only are wolves extirpated there, it was red wolves that were historically native), an African bush elephant in Patagonia (which the show even acknowledges but never gives an explanation to), and grizzly bears, bison, and polar bears as well as a kinkajou in New Brunswick.

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I dislike the frequent overuse of sound f/x.

During night scenes in e.g. T.V. plays, a fox is nearly always heard barking, not just once or twice but throughout.

Any time you see a dog, or ducks, they have to bark or quack or whatever, irrespective of what they are actually doing. Goose and duck calls often get confused too.

Appreciate these are 'effects' so deliberately get overused but still feel its not necessary

16. Alex Roman

In Heathcliff & the Catillac Cats, the episode, Jungle Vacation, has a kookaburra call in a jungle set in Africa.

Kookaburra calls are abundant in media where the setting is a jungle; regardless of location, given kookaburras originate in Australasia.

evilmonkey239 and Pertinax like this.
  17. evilmonkey239

Indeed. Most people just think it’s a monkey chattering.

18. Alex Roman

IMO, the "ooh ooh aah aah" for monkeys that people sometimes say when they walk past monkeys from the zoo (Baby, look at the monkey; they say "ooh ooh ahh ahh") may have stemmed from the classic kookaburra call.

Another animal sfx commonly used for primates are chimpanzees, which fit the African theme better, biogeographically speaking, and that chimps actually live in jungles.

Speaking of jungles, same episode was set in a lush jungle and had savanna animals like ostriches, lions, hyenas (correct me if I am wrong about hyenas not being in jungles), and rhinos (afaik, the rhinos that actually live in jungles are Asian rhinos, especially, for example, the Sumatran and Javan rhinos).

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Someone suggested this very irritating noise, which seems to be used universally by Zoo visitors everywhere, stems from a modern film like the Lion King, but not having seen it I do not know about that.

Chimpanzee noises often double as 'the' classic fx for jungle sounds of monkey 'chattering'. I have even heard it included in advertising sound fx by a zoo that didn't have chimps themselves.

20. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Ooh ooh aah aah :mad: I've just returned from my local zoo where not a visit can pass without me hearing this. Today's example was as a family walked towards the ape house and the mother said 'We're going to see the monkeys. They say ooh ooh aah aah'. I rolled my eyes very loudly and probably added an OMG. Do none of them notice that orangs and gorillas are normally silent and that the only monkeys at my zoo that make a sound are the Dianas? And occasionally the mangabeys!