Join our zoo community

Outdoor parrot exhibits vs enclosed parrot exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Unenlagia90, 5 Jan 2023.

1. Unenlagia90

Unenlagia90 Well-Known Member

Enclosured parrot exhibits allows parrot to fly freely, so people can see them fly and had a closer interact with them.

Outdoor parrot exhibits only exhibits parrots and branches, but they clip the bird wing feathers (usually not pinioning) or tape the feathers.

Which is the way you think more attractive?

2. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Clipping, taping or pinioning would never be sanctioned at an accredited zoo in Australia,

ZooBinh likes this.
  4. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

The other thread has a lot of detailed debate but in terms of the question I am not sure how exhibiting a parrot species that’s been pinioned on a stick could be in a contest on what is more ‘attractive’ tbh.

I confess I’ve not seen it however as, as the other thread states it’s not an exhibit pattern here for parrots etc.

There is also a third variety which are unclipped birds in non aviary settings - I’ve seen parrots exhibited who are not clipped who can choose to fly off if they like and don’t go much further than the nearest few trees.

Some parrots can’t or won’t fly of course. But disabling them to stop them doing it strikes me as cruel.

There are really good arguments for not wing clipping larger birds like flamingoes and having net / flight space for them too. Pinioning does seem less common now which is a good thing but birds are still being flight restricted. There’s something really amazing about a free flight aviary imho.

5. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have never had the pleasure to visit an aviary in which free-flying macaw were held, I have only seen an example where they were on a stick and two aviaries in which I did not see any macaws.

Zoochat members are vocal against parrot-on-a-stick exhibitry and there is no real defense of it to be found here. I could think of one such argument but I wouldn't want to 'defend' it, so to say, so I will simply say that it is not something I support either.