Join our zoo community

Ouwehands Zoo Ouwehands Dierenpark, Rhenen

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Mabes, 17 May 2008.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Clogging already was an issue in the past years and there is a lot of protest from the locals (which is valid imo), especially because this only became a public issue a few months ago, when everybody knew the panda were coming. It would have been better for the zoo if they would have resolved it before clinching the deal....

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If anyone has visited recently or is visiting soon, are the tarsiers and cuscus definitely onshow in Pandasia and if so where?

5. lintworm

They are not yet on show, though the house where they will be held is easy to find....

arctocephalus likes this.
  6. ShonenJake13

Do you know when they're due onshow?

arctocephalus likes this.
  7. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No one knows, not even the staff.
    Right now, the tarsiers are still too wary and stressed to be displayed.
    I'm guessing it will take at least a few more weeks for their enclosure to be opened to the public.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  8. ShonenJake13

Ah that's fine, I'm not due to visit until late August anyway!! :)

9. ShonenJake13

Are the tarsiers and cuscus onshow yet?

10. korhoen

korhoen Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They weren't this morning.

11. ShonenJake13

Hmm, that's odd. It shouldn't have taken this long for them to get them adjusted!

12. lintworm

Someone on a German forum mentioned that they might be visible from 15:00 onwards...

13. ShonenJake13

Today you mean?!

14. lintworm

No already for some time. But it seems that even most staff don't know a thing, there is quite a number of zoo-freaks that have been misinformed about the tarsiers already. Your best bet is just to check at regular intervals whether their small house is open ;)

Last edited: 17 Aug 2017
    ShonenJake13 likes this.
  15. ShonenJake13

This may seem like a silly question but can one go into Pandasia outside of their booked slot?

16. korhoen

Nope. But the timeslot only applies to the indoor exhibit of the pandas, the restaurant and the shop. The outdoor enclosures and also the house of the tarsier and cuscus do not fall under the timeslot and can be visited at any time:).

MagpieGoose and ShonenJake13 like this.
  17. korhoen

Someone on the Dutch forum now posted the same thing, so I guess you have a reasonable chance of seeing them after 15:00.:)

18. ShonenJake13

Sure enough....see the gallery :)

19. ShonenJake13

My visit today left me feeling surprisingly pleased. Though the zoo is very much family oriented, I was there with my family so that worked well. My last visit was around seven years ago, so to see how the zoo has changed was impressive. The gorillas are fantastic, a real treat to see such a well thought out gorillarium. Perhaps not as spectacular as an island, especially for photos, but the boys were very active.
    Also, as my post above suggests, I did see the tarsier and the cuscus. The night house works like this (as said by a keeper); as the animals are shy and not keen on people they are gradually adjusting them to visitors by opening the house for a half an hour slot every day, though the time for this can vary, and on occasion the house may not open for a day or two. It's completely down to the keepers on whether they feel the animals are 'in the mood' that day. I checked at around 12:45ish, not long after I arrived, and it was locked. At 15:30 we had our panda slot so at around 15:05 I decided to check again. Sure enough, I heard a volunteer tell some people the night house was just opened, so I dashed over as quick as I could. Luckily I spotted both rather quickly. To minimise disturbance they've covered the windows with a screen, and there are sporadic holes cut into the screen where you can peer through. Not successful in regards to crowd control, but still very much worth it for the two lifers.
    The hornbill aviaries (Passaro?) at the entrance are spectacular to see, and what was formerly the walkthrough aviary has been turned into a stupendous vulture aviary, something I enjoyed seeing. The clouded leopards, Berenbos and orangutans were also highlights throughout the day.
    The panda exhibit itself isn't terrible. I actually think it's my favourite I've seen (compared to Pairi Daiza, Edinburgh and Madrid) though the enormous temple feels a little over the top. Both bears were very showy, something I was glad to see after having spent a lot of my time searching for just one back in Edinburgh a week or so ago.
    Overall, a surprisingly enjoyable visit, and I will 100% be back when they receive bonobos next year.

20. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Berenbos?
    Incidentally, after many years, I can pass on my title to you. You are now the person who has posted the worst tarsier photo on ZooChat. Congratulations :D

jayjds2, Mehdi and ShonenJake13 like this.