Join our zoo community

Ouwehands Zoo Ouwehands Dierenpark, Rhenen

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Mabes, 17 May 2008.

1. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is the nocturnal house still only opening in the afternoon?

2. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Now that the tarsier has died it seems more likely to be opened all day....but then again, it’s gonna be getting busier now that summer is here so to ensure the cuscus remains as calm as he has been recently they might still have that system in place.

I’m not sure.

3. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We visited a few weeks ago and it was only open from 1pm until 4pm. The cuscus was very active, but the only animal in the nocturnal house (Tarsier still signed though).

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some notes from my visit last saterday :
    - not a single animal seen in the nocturnal house - tarsier I knew it's not there anymore ( :( ) but also no Spotted cuscus and also no Crocodile lizards.
    - due to the high temperature ( 37 Deg. Cel. ! ) many animals were just laying around ( Gorilla's,
    Clouded leopards, yes even the (white ) lions and the Giant pandas hardly moved ;) )
    - no sign of any building-activity at the place where the new Bonobo-enclosure is planned.
    - the turtle-enclosure in front of one of the indoor Orangutan-enclosures seemed empty.

5. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

wasn't the building-activity paused due to money issues?

PossumRoach likes this.
  6. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They choose to use the area for a different species of ape: it is a playground now. ;)

I did finally see a Shinisaurus in the nocturnal house, but the tarsier enclosure is still empty.

7. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

Ouwehand just announced that they are building an enclosure for 32 Aldabra Tortoises! The location of the enclosure is not announced yet

KevinB and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. vogelcommando

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great news. It has been a while since any last breedings in Netherlands.

10. vogelcommando

The second Clouded leopard-female now has given also birth, 2 young were born :) !

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Lemur02

Lemur02 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

AWP and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  12. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

During my visit today I noticed several things;

Births;
    - 3 young reindeer calves, of which 2 seemed to have been born not that long ago.
    - The clouded leopards cubs seem to be on show! I only saw one however, so I don't know which of the ''two nests'' is on display. They seem to hind behind a log in the left side of the viewing hut
    - In the domestic farm section inside the stable there's a chicken hatchery with dozens of chicks
    - The pelicans seem to have eggs (unless they're fake eggs) and some got a bit defensive towards visitors.

In the aquarium;
    Several tanks in the aquarium where taped off with signage saying they are re-doing the tanks.

The Chinese crocodile lizards are no longer on display, they are currently behind the scenes waiting to be transported to a new zoo, which one I don't know. I know this because I had a chat with both keepers of the nocturnal animals :) Also told me that they are hoping to get a female pygmy slow loris to accompany the lone male later this year(?). The exhibit of the crocodile lizards will be reused for a new species, which species they didn't tell me, however that's because they simply haven't found a new species yet to fill in the terrarium (or at least that's what they told me).
    One of the two exhibits of the pygmy slow lori (they got small gates, they function for (future) separation) was lighted like the cuscus one and the other one dark, the keepers told me that they're still letting the lori adapt to the lighting in the exhibit, but soon both sides should have a light source for us to see them better.

Also, they seem to no longer hold Asian small clawed otters, or at least have them not on show. Since I didn't see or smell one, same for the prairie dogs which are signed on the map, but where nowhere to be found.

The golden pheasants at the entree aviary where also a no-show, instead, we got greeted by some young silkie chickens, still a fun animal to watch.

The warthogs also where a no-show today, neither did it seem like there was a door open for them to go outside/inside.

13. ShonenJake13

I can't quote you on the otters as when I visited the Friday before last I didn't see any either. However, the prairie dogs are definitely still present (unless they literally got rid of them in the past week) as we saw a group of at least six or seven chowing down on their dinner in their enclosure on the side of RavotApia (outside that is).

We did see one pheasant but perhaps they have been moved on.

We saw at least one warthog so they likely didn't want/weren't allowed to come outside.

Ursus likes this.
  14. Ursus

Where in RavotApia are the prairie dogs? I did a whole circle in the indoor area; starting at the squirrel monkey exhibit?
    Are they on the left side of the squirrel monkeys? Or where are they located? Could've been just my bad luck in not finding them, as I didn't find a exhibit for them, and I doubt they can remove a entire exhibit in a week.

15. ShonenJake13

They don't have an indoors, if you exit the building by the small clawed otters they're in an enclosure on the side of the building outside. The only animals with indoors in RavotApia are the otters, monkeys, lorikeets and Lyle's flying foxes (which are in the 'griezelspelonk')

16. Ursus

Aaaaah, I see, I didn't even know there was a path there. Yeah, clearly missed them out of my own stupidity then, haha. Feels bad too have missed it.

17. Ursus

I forgot to mention, but something else I noticed during my visit is that the aviary for moluccan cockatoos isn't inhabitat by moloccan cockatoos at all but by galahs. They have still a sign saying it's for moluccan cockatoos though, so I imagine it's a recent species swap(?)

18. Ursus

According to the instagram of Ouwehands Dierenpark the female warthog has given birth to several piggletts! On the photo you can count 4 individuals. Perhaps this is also the reason why the warthogs where a no-show during my visit last tuesday.

Choco115 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  19. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2 harbour seals are born.

20. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

The elephant bull Tusker mated with Duna! Let's hope she gets pregnant. Tusker is a very good breeding bull (He has fathered 15 offspring and another is expected!), so the chance is high.:)

Mr. Zootycoon likes this.