Join our zoo community

Lincoln Park Zoo Pachy Pros Lincoln Park Zoo Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 21 Nov 2016.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Back at it again with another review, this time, the extremely urban Lincoln park zoo.

I also have a new review system. Next to each exhibit you will see between 1 and 5 *
    This is a new system that I will be using to judge the exhibits.

*= Disgrace
    **= bad
    ***= Average
    ****= Great
    *****= Outstanding
    So lets get into this review, shall we?

Overview
    The Lincoln park zoo is located right in the middle of the windy city. It sits on just 35 acres but receives over 3Million annual guests. Most likely due to its many entrances, Proximity to parks and other attractions, and did I mention... its FREE. It is also home to many state of the art habitats they are well known for. The zoo is improving a ton in the recent years with new exhibits like Macaque forest, Penguin cove, and the arctic tundra. As well as closing outdated exhibits such as The bear line, and the penguin/Sea bird house. So where is the zoo today? Lets see.

Lion house *
    Oh god. Most people come through the East gate the most. This makes the cat house the first impression. This is the worst first impression in zoo history. One side of the building has 2 mediocre grottos for a lone tiger, and a trio of lions. Both are small, somewhat narrow, and have glass viewing windows. The tiger exhibit has a puddle that I think is suppose to be its pool, and the lions have an impressive pride rock. The other side of this outdated abomination has 5 cages. 2 circular cages at the end hold Pumas, and snow leopards. While 3 smaller ones in between, hold an Amur leopard, a lynx, and a red panda family. (whos exhibit isn't that bad really) We haven't even gotten to the worst part yet. The building it self is the loudest I have ever heard. It heart my ears, but it must be a never ending nightmare for the cats that cant escape it. A ugly gift shop takes up space that could be used for the cats. That same side has a 2 lion and tiger prison cells that look faker than Milwaukee county zoos small mammal house. But the worst part of this ugly building is across from these cells. 5 narrow, cramped, unreal, and all indoors. A jaguar is allowed to a pair of AFRICAN exhibits. The poor thing paces almost all day. The other 3 are a home to servals, and the last one makes Tropic world look like the Mona Lisa. So glad this disgrace is getting a $30million makeover soon.

Seal pool ***
    Very simple. A circular pool with underwater viewing, a simple land area, and arena type seating, that's home to grey and harbor seals.

Macaque forest ****
    This impressive complex opened in 2015. The zoo has had a successful breeding program with already 4 births. 2 viewing plazas look into the large habitat that includes a hot spring, a stream, real and fake trees, and some decently placed mock rock. The larger plaza has a technology station that the primates sometime use.

Childrens zoo ***
    The misnamed complex acts as a North American exhibit. A interior building shows reptile and amphibian terrariums. As well as American krestals, and small owls. The biggest feature of the building is the underwater viewing for river otters, and beavers that are opposite to each other. Above water viewing is on opposite ends as well. Red wolfs have a dense long exhibit. While black bears, have a long grassy exhibit viewed mainly through glass.

Primate House **
    This older building that was originally the small mammal house. It has a bit of a bad rep but is better than what you think. A pied tamarin has a tropical paradise. While Francois Laungurs have a tall but concrete exhibit. Debrazza monkeys (Former drill habitat) and Allens swamp monkeys/colobus monkey habitats are fairly large but unreal habitats. Crowned lemurs have a smaller scale exhibit. Howler monkeys and grey titis have decent exhibits. Lastly the White cheeked gibbons have a ugly indoor area, but have a decent outdoor area.

Center for African Apes *****
    This outstanding complex opened in 200 with 3 impressive habitats. Gorilla bamboo forest, Fig forest, and dry river bed valley. Bamboo forest is a spectacular gorilla island with trees, and a waterfall in a grassy habitat. Chimps and a second gorilla yard are also great but large cages. 3 identical indoor habitats have fake bamboo, woodchips, and great climbing areas. Definitely the highlight of the zoo.

Hoofstock loop ***
    Zebras, (3 yards) peccerys, camels, red kangaroos, takins, (2 yards) Ostriches, and alpacas all in average habitats.

Part 2 coming soon.

2. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know this is old but I'm curious why did the Lincoln Park Zoo replace the Ape House that was underground. Been there so many times, I thought the underground exhibit was very roomy. Just curious why they totally built a new ape house? thank you I go to Lincoln Park every time I get to Chicago.

3. pachyderm pro

I never finished this review since no one seemed interested.
    The enclosures where outdated from what I hear. The new ape house is extremely impressive and is the jem of this small city zoo.

4. junglejim

I know the exhibts weren't pc, but were very functional. Those old exhibits were very impressive to watching large adults gorilla's up 3 story's. An watching those infant toddlers tag on adult males as they kept watch over everyone was so wonderful!

5. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd be interested in reading the rest. Also, how long would you say a visit to this zoo would take for someone who hasn't been there before? Is it possible to squeeze both the Lincoln Park Zoo and another Chicago attraction in the same day, or will it be too time-consuming?

JVM likes this.
  6. pachyderm pro

In that case, I will complete part 2 soon. Lincoln park takes about around 3 or 4 hours to cover the entire park. With the field museum and shed aquarium not to far from the zoo, its certainly possible if you use your time wisely.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  7. junglejim

Lincoln Park Zoo the small mammal/ reptile house is a gem, also the bird house is wonderful. Too I always enjoying the beautiful Grevy's Zebras. Most often they have a foal too!

8. drill

drill Well-Known Member

why do the gorillas and chimpanzees so rarely go outside and have been starting to recently also what happened to the.drills

9. junglejim

My theory is the absence of a canopy sheltering the exposure of the gorillas, and chimpanzees. I'm not talking about the caged roofing over the chimps, I'm referring to the florage canopy that shelters the animals from rays of the sun. Let's look at it a moment. Both species live where? Correct in a jungle lots of tree canopy that shelters them from extreme rays of the sun. Both species are black in coloration, which exposed to the direct sun we know absorbs heat quickly. Hence direct and unprotected exposure would cause both species to readily overheat! I have observed the gorillas at Lincoln Park and watch them briefly go outside and immediately return indoors. It puzzled me, then I did some serious thinking of everything and it made sense. Strangely one zoo was studying this inregard to letting the animals be able to chose where they preferred to be inside or out. Strange thou it was never considered the aspect that again both these species are black, and their coloration is one that readily takes on heat and would overheat them when exposed to direct periods of sun with no proper shade as in the jungle canopy of their native habitat. I'm self taught and figured this out, because again strangely to many educated folked are stymied to figuring it out! About the Drills I don't have any information on those.

10. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

@jayjds2: Shedd+LPZ is definitely doable in one day, but I imagine it would be stressful and you'd have to really budget your time at both establishments. If you wanted to maximize your experiences, I would do them on separate days, and do either the Field Museum or the Adler Planetarium with the Shedd. Then again, if your time there is limited, I would recommend hitting both because they're both worth visiting.

11. drill

drill Well-Known Member

thank you for your very scholarly answer.

12. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

The first part of your theory, that forest species don't like over-exposure to direct sunlight, is well accepted I think. But it is not because of overheating due to being black. Even if this effect were significant, the average temperature of Chicago being significantly lower than West Africa would be a useful counterbalance, as would all the systems organisms have to prevent overheating. Furthermore, we only have to look at human skin tones to see that darker shades are not problematic in areas with a high amount of sunlight.