Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Pachyderm Forest

Discussion in 'United States' started by mstickmanp, 18 Mar 2010.

1. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

One of the keepers said that they are allowed to touch each other through the fence. The keeper also said that Tina is very interested in Billy and spends more time with him than Jewel does.

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Thank you for that. Hopefully Billy will pass on his genes and his future sons will have impressive tusks like he has. One last question: Have any of the current elephants at LA bred before, even at previous locations?

3. polar bear

polar bear Well-Known Member

Billy and Tina's first contact was on January 1st. Attached is a photo of Billy and Tina taken on January 9. Billy has been in musth so they had been waiting until that was over to start introductions. Tina really seems to like Billy. I haven't seen Jewel with Billy yet... Tina pushes her out of the way :)

Last edited: 23 Sep 2013
  4. mstickmanp

Thanks for the photo polar bear. Hopefully this means that one day the three elephants will share the same exhibit space at the same time!

@UrMumzAGoat: The zoo doesn't plan to breed Billy with Tina and Jewel mainly because of their age and because the females have not bred before. Billy has also not bred before, which is why the zoo wants to obtain younger females for breeding purposes.

5. mstickmanp

Thanks for the photo polar bear. Hopefully this means that one day the three elephants will share the same exhibit space at the same time!

@UrMumzAGoat: The zoo doesn't plan to breed Billy with Tina and Jewel mainly because of their age and because the females have not bred before. Billy has also not bred before, which is why the zoo wants to obtain younger females for breeding purposes.

6. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the video above, a keeper states that the elephants can touch each other through the fence. As far as being in the same enclosure together, that has not happened yet.

EDIT: Sorry, the other posts did not load or I didn't see that another page started, but the question was already answered.. =)

7. mstickmanp

I found a great video of Tina playing in the pool. She looks so cute when she starts splashing the water towards the end.

If you can't see the video just look up "Elephant playing in pool at LA Zoo" on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  8. CritterBlog

CritterBlog Well-Known Member

bill1.jpg bill2.jpg bill3.jpg

Jewel does join in. :)

9. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great photos - thank you for posting them.

10. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sorry, I know this was posted a while ago but is there any chance anyone saved the main plan pdf's and could possible post them here or pm them to me?