Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Brum, 2 Jan 2020.

1. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No problem, misprunts happen. I rather agree with Andrew Swales above, though.

TriUK and TNT like this.
  2. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the required modifications to the the Colchester enclosure had been completed yet either.

cliffxdavis and Gigit like this.
  3. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Non-news really, but thought I’d share; I went shopping for my Mum in Paignton yesterday so decided on Morrison’s...., it gave me a chance to peer through and see Cassowary, Green Peafowl & Egret. I could hear Gibbons and Lion. So, in the afternoon I used my Lockdown exercise time to run over to Torquay and see the Penguins & other birds at Living Coasts for 5 minutes. I was very careful and stayed well away from others but wondered if any other zoochatters have the relative luxury of being close to a collection & ‘peeking’ in without breaking lockdown rules? I thought of Regents Park straight away?

TNT, Crowthorne and Gigit like this.
  4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Suppose I could go for a run and run along flag lane (think its name) through Chester zoo.

TriUK likes this.
  5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We can see Brown Bear, Wolf, Red River Hog, African Elephant and with a lot of luck Giant Panda through the fence at Ouwehands Dierenpark, NL. Soon Bonobo as well. With a reliable Tawny Owl roost next to it, it is a nice short walk.

6. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

When I was being home-schooled my teacher Mr Morris told me location that Morrisons is located on used to be Paington Zoo's overflow car park. Also me school teacher Garry Morris once had a Gibbon from the island escape onto his garden shed. According to Mr Morris there was a rumour that one of the Elephants escaped and walked round the nearby residential streets. He also said that a Zebra escaped. Can one of my fellow Zoochatters confirm or deny the rumours that Mr Morris heard about the Zebra and Elephant during his childhood.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any suggestions or advise to see the tawnies?

8. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is the location, there is only 1 Owl visible:
    Bosuil - Strix aluco

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

We're trying to vary our 'exercise from the doorstep' route and today walked past the back of the zoo and saw a giraffe! The excitement! Last week we saw Carmel the camel but couldn't spot her today - the trees round here have suddenly exploded into leaf. We went on to Clennon Valley, passing a garden containing two unidentified caged hawks, and watched a little egret catching fish in the lake and mute swans fending off wayward dogs. Not quite the equivalent of a zoo visit but better than nothing!

TriUK likes this.
  10. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Are there any animal transfers of arrivals planned? I believe that a male Giraffe was due to arrive as well as Sumatran Tiger and Asiatic Lion.

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

No idea, but I would have thought everything is on hold until life returns to normal.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Probably, the lockdown will remain for another 6 weeks+ at the least.
    (BTW: It will be a disaster for zoological gardens if the UK Govt. does not intervene ...
    I would not get my hopes up though ... BJ and Chained Tory Pub).

13. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A male giraffe was not planned, this was just a zoochat rumour.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. TriUK

Once the giraffe are relocated to the ‘elephant-side’ of the paddock and internal adjustments made, a male WILL be sourced, but this won’t be for some time.

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Apr 2020
  15. TriUK

I know the very cut-through alleyway between the houses where the hawks are. I think they are Harris Hawks?

16. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

They certainly look like the right colour for that.

17. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Today's 'pretend we're at the zoo' walk gave us sightings of two giraffes, one camel, one little egret, some very new mallard ducklings and our first house martins of the year, flying over the zebra area.

TriUK likes this.
  18. TriUK

There is a Facebook page today with an image of one of PZ’s Pied Tamarins. It says they have 6 individuals. I have seen 3 at most, is there an off-show group or pair or have I just been unlucky? I know they’re shy & I remember a brilliant lecture at Durrell about how they are cortisol stress tested & how to keep them relaxed.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. Rajang21

Rajang21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Two groups: 1.2 on-show on the Monkey Heights walkway and 2.1 off-show behind the coati.

20. TriUK

Thank you Rajang. I didn't realise the coati enclosure had another section to it. Do the Pieds get outdoor access in this enclosure as I'd imagine the rhino yard could be quite noisy? On another note, do you know if the King Colobus are still off-show near the vet centre? Thanks again.