Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2012

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 16 Jan 2012.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. kkkp

kkkp Well-Known Member

They have been there quite a few weeks in December early part of.
    They are certainly different and have been on show for a while now,do not miss them.:D

Picture posted in gallery

3. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

We need to pop over, haven't been in ages.

4. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

5. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. Is there any work or refurbishment taking place at the moment? What is the score down at Lemur Wood? Somebody mentioned recently about a new island being created, what for, does anyone know?
    Many thanks.

6. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Tri, the island is/has been built in Pelican lake. As of 3 weeks ago, the Ring Tails were being kept inside. Gigit might be able to chime in and mention if they have been allowed out yet.

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The Ring Tails aren't on the loose yet. Rumour has it that the house on the island is for Pied Tamarins, who are currently in the Small Mammal House.

8. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

Thanks, that (Pied Tamarins) would make sense as that area has been earmarked for the new Baboon Rock. Are the Geoldi's still in there? The old ape/mandrill/sloth house at the back is still an indoor quarantine area right? It's a shame we are not allowed in there anymore as the building is a real 'throwback' to the old zoo and yet the marmosets & tamarins seemed to do so well. There is a winter housing area just below it that I think used to house the Indian Hornbills and other birds in winter. With the trend at Paignton to use netted aviary styled exhibits for their smaller monkeys maybe the Geoldi's will be moved soon too?
    * Have any more of the larger parrot species been replaced since last year and replaced with conures and or lorikeets?
    * Any news on possible Cheetah pregnancies?
    * Is the area between the Rhino house and the Swamp Monkeys been touched re the proposed new Binturong house?
    * Are the ring-tails a permanent species or a temporary replacement for the Ruffed Lemurs? I think that space could take on or two more free-ranging species!
    I hope the zoo does much better this year. Maybe the Trust are consolidating and being sensible with their cash? Living Coasts seems to be doing better financially now and maybe its not such a 'drain' on resources but I don't know about Newquay (apart from friends & family who always come away disappointed as it seems more of a zoo-geek type collection)?
    Cheers for the update.

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

A photo of the 'orang/mandrill' end of the Small Mammal House last week is here:

http://www.zoochat.com/62/small-mammal-house-15-february-2012-a-258293/

The Goeldi's are still there. The Hornbills are still housed in the winter quarters along with a changing assortment of birds - eg the Marabou stork that went to Colchester. Last week one of the pair of Sarus cranes from the lake was there (its mate appeared to be searching for it).

Parrots - I'll have a closer look. Cheetahs - I don't know. I don't often stop there as the scene is usually the same.

There is a mysterious rectangle of 'police tape' in the area between the rhinos and swampies, about the size of a shed.

I spotted the Red Ruffed lemurs in one of the Vet's cages a few weeks ago.

10. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

I'm on tenterhooks for the Parrot information! I was delighted to find Eclectus Parrots last year, and I just love the flock of Citron-crested Cockatoos.

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Parrots

Yellow Headed Amazon Parrot (Amazona oratrix)
    Yellow Shouldered Parrot (Amazona barbadensis)
    Citron Crested Cockatoo (Cacatua sulphurea citronocristata)
    Swainson's Lory (Trichoglossus haematodus moluccanus)
    Hyacinth Macaw (Anodorhynchus hyacinthus)
    Golden Parakeet (Guarouba guarouba)
    Yellow Backed Chattering Lory (Lorius garrulus flavopalliatus)
    Brown Lory (Chaico psitta duivenbodei)
    Red Fronted Macaw (Ara rubrogenys)
    Eclectus Parrot (Eclectus romtus)
    Yellow Streaked Lory (Chalcopsitta sintillata)

Making a note of these today was quite an education for me. I wouldn't have said there were that many before!

12. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

Thanks Gigit, you're a legend!
    That's a comprehensive list to add to the parrots they have in the Desert House right? The big change I noticed with the collection since the new bird curator came in, aside from the netting of open exhibits, was the introduction of ground dwelling birds to share aviary space (namely Eastern Pheasant species) - does anyone know if there are any drawbacks to this practice that I associate with city park aviaries?
    It would be good to see the Brookside aviary being used as a real good 'show-piece' for the newly arriving visitors or the departing public as at present it seems a bit 'sparse' of signature, wow factor birds?
    It would also be nice to see the Indian Hornbills on show again.
    All said, Paignton is truly a special collection in a great setting!

13. Parrotsandrew

Well done Gigit, thank-you very much. Looking at my plan of the aviaries in my notebook last September I counted eleven species as well, but there were Blue-throated Macaws next to the Citron-crested Cockatoos (the final aviary before the Tortoises). I didn't see any Yellow-shouldered Amazons. Presumably there are still two pairs of Hyacinths. I've been thinking I must book my annual holiday in Paignton - now I'm even keener.

14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

15. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Parrots

That list doesn't include those in the Desert house - I actually forgot about them but, as it's half term, was avoiding the houses ;)

The pheasants have disappeared from the parrot aviaries, apart from a Lady Amherst in with one of the amazonas (can't recall which one, I'm afraid).

I saw only one pair of Hyacinth Macaws.

There are Sacred Ibis and Black Headed Swans in the Brookside aviary now but, yes, most of the birds could probably be regarded as 'ducks'. In fact, I once overheard a mother saying to her young daughter, who wanted to stop and look, 'Come on, they're just ducks. We can see them at home.'

16. kkkp

kkkp Well-Known Member

17. Parrotsandrew

Last September there was a pair in the furthest right aviary of the four next to the Tortoises and another pair next to the Red-fronted Macaws. As there are twelve aviaries was one empty? Alternatively, with apologies to the Spice Girls, had two become one? Presumably there would have been a label so that should rule out the possibility of the birds still being there but being hidden from view. Sorry to be a nuisance Gigit.

Regarding the Brookside Aviary, I really like it but I do think it could do with a few more birds. Sacred Ibises I love though so that is good. I like Black-necked Swans too.

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What happened with the blue-throated macaws? :confused:

19. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

No problem - any excuse to go to the zoo! I'll have another look in the next few days.

20. Parrotsandrew

Thank-you Gigit. I'm on cloud nine having just returned from an excellent day at Flamingo Land but I still wish I could be walking up Totnes Road tomorrow.