Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 7 Jan 2014.

1. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

July

A couple of observations from a recent visit:
    1. Australian Magpies now reside in some of the parrot aviaries as does a Toco toucan.
    2. The rhinos have been observed mating and Manyara took some big hits (and gauges) from the female. Only the male occasionally uses the grass, making me wonder if the ele/giraffe paddock may be better suited for them in the future?
    3. There are 3 Barbary sheep remaining but tend to use the rear of the enclosure.
    4. The swamp monkeys are back on their island as the geoldis were escaping.
    5. The Pied tamarins have replaced the squirrel monkeys (now mixed with the Howlers on the island opposite the train) on the waterfowl lake and appear to be very content.
    6. The owl aviaries near the cassowaries are being upgraded from wooden frames to steel.
    7. The Diana and Mangabey groups have switched enclosures?
    8. The new Pileated Gibbon pair seem to be using all of their excellent enclosure and can be seen up close from the walkway.
    9. The wildflower meadow that's replaced the old mammal house is stunning, as are the amphibian gardens and desert house cacti plantings.
    10. Pertinax seems to be getting challenged by the younger black backs more & more. I hope he remains safe in his old age.

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If all is green light, the female is the dominant force in the mating game. So, wait and see with the rhinos.

BTW: Manyara arrived in June 2010. He was only 8 at the time and has now developed into a good adult male.

3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The Dianas and Mangabeys swapped houses some time ago. I think the Mangabey and Macaque alpha males didn't get on.

I agree about the wildflower meadow. In fact, the whole zoo is looking glorious and the gardeners deserve a big pat on the back.

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Couple of small notes from a very pleasant visit today - The cheetahs were mixed together in the on show enclosure and the young male giraffe, Valentino appears to have departed. Anyone know where he went? :S

5. polarbear

polarbear Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Port Lympne

6. polarbear

polarbear Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. The owl aviaries near the cassowaries are being upgraded from wooden frames to steel.

The one on the corner near the lions is a new enclosure.

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Demo has died

From the zoo's website:

Paignton Zoo’s adult male orang utan has died. Bornean orang utan Demo was found by staff on Monday morning. He was being treated for a reoccurrence of a respiratory infection which had plagued him on and off since before he arrived at Paignton Zoo.

Demo was born on 6th September 1998 at Aalborg Zoo in Denmark. He was moved to Munster Zoo, in Germany, when he was 6 years old, then came to Devon in November 2007. He recently fathered two babies; Tatau was born in April 2013 and Natalia in late December of the same year. Tatau was the conservation charity’s first orang utan birth in 16 years.

Paignton Zoo head vet Ghislaine Sayers said: “He came to Paignton Zoo with an upper respiratory tract infection. This is a common problem in orang utans and can lead to repeated bouts of illness. After a long period of treatment he became a healthy-looking specimen and fathered two babies. But recently he’d had another bout of illness.

“Getting medication into an ape that doesn't want to eat can be challenging, but with the keepers’ help we managed to treat him by injection. Preparations were being made to carry out a CAT scan of his sinuses so we could treat him more effectively. Unfortunately, there are many risks associated with anaesthetising an orang utan with breathing problems and we had to improve his general condition before the CAT scan could take place.”

Staff took advice from colleagues at other zoos. Over recent days Demo deteriorated quickly and developed pneumonia.

Matthew Webb, Paignton Zoo’s Senior Head Keeper of Mammals, said: “He was a typical male orang utan, stubborn and cheeky at times, very much loved by his keepers. He was a late developer, but he was just coming into his prime.”

Paignton Zoo Environmental Park Director of Operations and Curator of Mammals
    Neil Bemment said: “There are breeding programmes in zoos worldwide and Paignton Zoo is part of the European Endangered species Programme for Bornean orang utans. We are sad to lose him, but at least he has done his bit for the future of the species by fathering Tatau and Natalia.”

Regular visitors and long-time volunteer photographers Jean and Ray Wiltshire added: “We will sorely miss him, he was sometimes not seen but he was always heard on his island. Thankfully he has left his legacy in that lovable pair Tatau and Natalia. He is gone but not forgotten.”

Paignton Zoo’s remaining Bornean orang-utans are females Gambira (16), Chinta (22) with her baby Natalia and Mali (18) with her baby Tatau.

The number of Bornean orang utans in the world is estimated at around 50,000, which means there are fewer Bornean orang utans in the entire world than there are human beings in Torquay (the population of Torquay is about 62,000). In the wild they may live to 35 or 45 years, while in zoos that can extend to up to 60.

The Bornean orang utan (Pongo pygmaeus) is threatened by hunting, the pet trade and the destruction of its rainforest habitat. Forest is being destroyed to create palm oil plantations. Given the declining populations, measures such as switching to alternative oil products and maintaining sustainable populations of orangs in zoos are becoming ever more important.

8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very sad, but at least he fathered the two infants.
    There need be no rush to replace him as it should be several years before Mali and Chinta will be ready to mate again and Gambira might be pregnant too - even if she isn't, there is not much room in the orang accommodation.

Alan

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'd say they'd be better off sending Gambira out on loan elsewhere for mating if need be- and not replacing Demo presently, for the reasons you say.

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I don't want to pick holes in an obituary but, as orangutans are my passion, I do find this a strange comment to make about a largely quiet species. Demo's repertoire consisted of the odd kiss squeak, a cough or a sneeze, in my experience anyway.

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Demo's Obituary - I've checked and he was actually born on 6 June 1998, not 6 September.

12. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Sumatran Tiger 'Banda'

Banda moved to Le Parc des Felins in France yesterday.

13. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

Wow that was a surprise (but shouldn't be!) Haven't Paignton been saying she'd be going to another zoo soon for at least two years now?

A shame but according to Paignton Zoo's facebook she's moved to France to retire and another comment mentions a new female coming from Germany. I know it's Tenang that's more important for the Breeding program, but how long will he be breedable for, for isn't he around 12 years old now?

14. Nisha

They've been saying it for 3 years, since the planned swap with Jerusalem Biblical fell through in 2011. Its probably taken them this long to find Banda a home as a retired breeding female with such places being very limited inthe EEP.. She will be keeping an elderly male company at PDF who has been on his own for several months following the death of his previous mate and the departure of his temporary companion for Fota in the spring

Tenang is 14 (born September 2000) so not a young male.. But still capable of breeding providing there is no medical reasons why he can't. A male at Jilhava, Czech Republic sired a cub last year and he was 19! :eek:

15. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

Oh I didn't realise they was planning to actually retire Banda, I thought they was going to get a new female to breed with Tenang and for Banda to breed with another male.

16. Nisha

No, Banda isn't needed for breeding again due to her six siblings (most of whom have also had multiple litters) and the fact her own cubs are also breeding now.. Her bloodline in Europe is secure and well represented. Job done :)

17. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Sumatran Tigers

Banda's sign has been replaced with one saying:

Shakira

Female - born at Berlin Tierpark, Germany, in July 2002.

Shakira has delivered two litters previously (2008 and 2010). Her father was born in San Diego and is part of a very important bloodline for the European Endangered Species Programme.

18. Nisha

Yes ;) Shakira... (B06/07/2002 Morris X Santana) note the word delivered in the above quote... none of her previous cubs have ever survived more than a few days. She's spent the last 12 years at Tierpark paired with the ex Dudley male, Jambi since 2003 (coincidentally Banda's brother from the same litter) but with Tierpark now having a 2nd (younger) pair and the ongoing changes it seems they have finally decided to move her on.

Bit surprised Shakira was chosen for Tenang given her relation to Banda (Banda's mother is Shakira's half sister) but very much a last chance to breed for both of them... At 12 years old, Paignton only have 2 years realistically to get them breeding. Fingers crossed it works out for all concerned

19. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can report that the parrot situation is somewhat improved. As of today the aviaries on the slope still hold the seriema pair and a toco toucan. But then there is a run of parrots to the right of the tortoises - blue-throated macaws, yellow-shouldered amazons, Swainson's lorikeets and hyacinthine macaws. Around the corner are the usual yellow-backed chattering lories and Duivenbode's (the only species I didn't see, but there was food and water in the aviary, so I assume they were in their nestbox). Around the next corner more hyacinthines and Australian magpies. On the other side of the path, a mix of tauraco, trumpeter and Madagascar turtle doves and a pair of double yellow-headed amazons (oratrix).

Alan

20. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Thank-you for that update. Good to hear The Double Yellow-headed Amazons are still in situ. Still missing the Citron-crested Cockatoos, Red-fronted Macaws and Eclectus Parrots that I admired last year though. I really liked the little flock of cockatoos.