Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 7 Jan 2015.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

He did indeed... In Oumbie's defence I was told at the time that he appeared very confused after having lived in a bachelor group for so many years and apart from the heightened aggression produced by the move to Twycross, he apparently tried to mate with Matadi and then attacked him when he didn't co-operate, rather than actively rejecting him from the start.

I would expect to see Matadi develop further soon after he gets his new harem, as the presence of females often stimulates it.

2. aquilla1

aquilla1 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Saw the new storks yesterday, they look great, a new species for me...

There were two parrot chicks being hand-reared in the bird rearing unit, no signage I saw that stated what they were, they looked like young Amazons, maybe Macaws, anyone know what they are?

3. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

where abouts are the storks?

4. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Where the Marabou Storks used to be - the enclosure bordered by the lake, Howler Monkeys and railway line.

5. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

How old are the lion and tiger enclosures?

6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pretty sure they were part of the redevelopment so I'm going to say '95-'97! Happy to be corrected though... :)

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I can confirm that the lions moved in to their new enclosure in 1996. There's a gap in my records but it appears that the tigers moved in before them.

8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On show today, one pair in Reptile Tropics (first unit on the left) and two pairs in the Reptile Rearing Unit. Not to be missed ;).

Two Duivenbode's lories (labelled brown lories) plus a brood of ringed teal, a pied imperial pigeon and a spreo starling.

Part of the Crocodile Swamp is closed for maintenance for the next few days. You can only go as far as the pythons.

Alan

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

There's been another Mandrill birth - Jumanji x Marta. The group now comprises 2.6.1.

10. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks Gigit........, they now need some more acreage I think? I wonder if there is merit in moving a few species around to accommodate a move? Or, move the Maned Wolves to the long shady paddock on the hill where the Rhea, peafowl and cranes are (they don't need a fancy indoor area) and extend?

11. gentle lemur

I have been wondering about possible moves at Paignton too. I suggest putting the spider monkeys in the middle section of Monkey Heights, moving the mandrills into their old enclosure and the Diana monkeys into the mandrill house. In each case the outdoor enclosures would need some work: the mandrills could use some extra space and planting with evergreens (there is a nice clump just below the fence on the downhill side, so moving the fenceline in that direction might help), the Dianas might need a new fence and the spiders would need extra climbing space - I wonder if they would damage the big tree if they were allowed access to it.

Alan

12. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Marketing

There's an interesting piece in the local Herald Express about the zoo, which is up for a marketing award. An extract:

'Due to the recession's already negative impact upon visitor numbers there has been limited capital investment at Paignton Zoo. In turn, this has reduced the number of new exhibits which are important and attractive marketing ploys to entice both new and returning visitors. As a result the marketing team was required to improvise with new campaigns and also focus on adding value through alternative means to drive footfall. This criteria inspired a themed calendar of events to ensure there is always something new for visitors to see and do. In 2013 it was gorillas, 2014 was all about Invertebrates and 2015 is 'Year of the Bird'.

It also commissioned, in 2104, extensive visitor research, which revealed that many non-visitors believed that the zoo posed a passive visitor experience and only appealed to children. As a result, the main objective of the marketing efforts for 2015 was to promote Paignton Zoo as a fun, interactive, all-day attraction for all the family. It appointed a new creative agency and established a new marketing campaign for 2015 entitled "Go on, release your inner animal!" taking marketing in a radical new direction with the focus on families having fun, not animals.'

I was interviewed for the visitor research project and felt then, and now, that the views of a regular visitor who is passionate about animals and zoos are not very significant. I'm part of a minority who make their own 'fun' by observing animals, and I'll continue visiting whatever happens. However, it's interesting to get a glimpse of their thinking.

13. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is very interesting indeed!
    I hope the WW Trust are 'saving up' for a couple of new high profile exhibits, but they may have to be immersive and allow a 'hand on' experience to satisfy the current trend? I agree with you Gigit. I think the zoo should let the site get all over-grown in parts and allow visitors to borrow a pair of binoculars and look for the animals amongst the foliage - that would be cheap and very different!
    Still think they need to create an open plan savannah space and build some new parrot aviaries though!
    Thanks for the update....

14. gentle lemur

I didn't know it is 'The Year of the Bird', have they been keeping it quiet?

Alan

15. Pertinax

It seems as if they are accepting/working on the basis that most adults are not particularly interested in the animals and are somewhat reluctant participants in family visits, so if animal interest can't be fostered, are looking to entice them to come in to the Zoo on other pretexts. As the Zoo is full of animals but not much else(for adults that is) its an interesting concept.

16. Pertinax

Well they did get the Lesser Adjutants....;)

17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

And the first tinamou in a UK public collection for many years, if one does not count the individual which was at Kirkleatham for a fortnight last autumn before dying!

18. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It certainly hasn't had the publicity given to the Year of the Gorilla! Next year, there will be painted rhino models around Torbay and Exeter. There are some 'interactive' signs around the zoo, such as the one below, about birds, but I haven't noticed much more:

Attached Files:

19. gentle lemur

I have seen a couple of them - aren't they huge :rolleyes: I have also found a few mentions of the Year of the Bird on Facebook too. But it's hardly banging a big drum!
    I do agree that the tinamous are an excellent addition, but I can't quite find the right word to sum up the appeal of the adjutants :confused:

Alan

20. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The zoo has now won the gold award for Most Effective Marketing. There was certainly no shortage of visitors during the summer months. They have a harder job during the rest of the year when the holiday makers have gone, but this is the time that we regulars enjoy the most ;)