Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 8 Jan 2019.

1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great news! :D

TriUK likes this.
  2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wonder which of these moves will be 'ins' and which 'outs'. For example, will they add more Bongo or move the last one? Zebras- additional females? Orangutans- not sure on that one...

TriUK likes this.
  3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It is all ripe for speculation! Presumably they'll add to the zebras as they've previously held more than two. Lions will probably be in and out as the current 2.1 are related. Bongo? They've just built a huge new fence round her enclosure, so maybe additions there. The golden lion tamarin is in the otherwise empty saki monkey enclosure. It used to have an outside area but that was demolished and there's no sign of any rebuilding work, so she could be moving out. The maned wolf offspring must be due to leave.

The possible implications of the words 'moves.....soon....orangutans....youngsters' made my heart sink. I fully understand the requirements of the breeding programmes, but imagined that I'd have a few more years before any changes were made. Moving Gambira has been hinted at in the past but she may not be suitable now that she's got airsaculitis and appears to be a non-breeder.

TriUK and Pertinax like this.
  4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At least some of the original studbook/EEP recommendations for the Maned Wolf pups have fallen through since the TB restrictions started (eg: one Wolf was due to go to another UK collection - said collection has since received different individuals) I imagine the same will have happened with other species, so it may be a while before new transfer recommendations are able to be put into place.

Gigit and Pertinax like this.
  5. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited yesterday:- the Mangabeys have moved into the Colobus enclosure (except the male). I think the Colobus are unwell again and perhaps in the vets area?
    The Anoa paddock is being hotwired - my instinct tells me that it's for camels judging by the height?
    The 2 red ruffed lemur babies were very active in their netted run.
    The roadrunners were showing well.
    The zoo is advertising for a new senior mammal keeper - I hope imports/exports move quickly now and empty enclosures begin to fill !

Gigit and Brum like this.
  6. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Interesting! I wonder why the male mangabey hasn't moved too? I'm sure the camels would appreciate a move. Their paddock can get very wet and muddy. If the takin are indeed moving to the former tur enclosure, they could then do something to those old stables. New keeper - they'll have a hard act to follow.

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

8. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

All 4 mangabeys were in the colobus enclosure today.

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The new Guest Experience Manager asks 'Can a zoo help your mental health?':
    Can a zoo help your mental health? | Paignton Zoo

The reply from me is No and Yes.There were 400 unsupervised schoolchildren in the zoo today. I probably don't need to say anymore. We came across one of them leaning over the fence above the macaques with an apple in his hand and with three expectant macaques below him. An adult couple arrived but nobody else was around. So, as he bit a chunk off the apple and prepared to drop it to the macaques, it fell to me to say 'Don't do it'. One of the couple said 'Why ever not?' pointing at the macaque notice which states that fruit is part of their wild diet. So I had to explain about their zoo diet and the fighting that would ensue. Not to mention the boy's saliva all over the apple. He was still holding it above them so, for good measure, I pointed out that he was teasing them. He moved off, probably to throw it in another enclosure, the couple went on their way and so did we, fuming.

My equilibrium was restored by watching the ever joyful little orang, Tatty, who should be prescribed on the NHS to lighten your spirits. I've said it before and shall no doubt say it again, but she is the epitome of the phrase 'joie de vivre'.

10. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Schoolkids galore today, with other visitors and volunteers exchanging stories of their inappropriate, unsupervised antics; it was like a different place when they all left around 2:30, but by then I was exhausted from trying to avoid the noisy sods.

Gigit and TNT like this.
  11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It really is beyond the pale. If I'd paid to get in (rather than being an annual pass holder) I'd be even angrier :mad:

12. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I'm a little ashamed at accepting a refund from another zoo a couple of years ago, after giving them feedback privately about the behaviour of a schoolkids on a visit. Paignton is larger than that zoo, but no matter where you were today, you could hear the little 'darlings', in one instance chanting and stomping along a wooden walkway.
    Unfortunately, I am again restricted to weekend visits by my job and the gamble that my holiday periods will not coincide with blocks of school trips. One of the weak arguments from "animal activists" is that zoos do not fulfil their education pledge and days like this make me want to write to schools and zoos to remind them of their responsibility.

13. TriUK

Hmm, this would give staff an opportunity to redevelop the outdoor enclosure finally. I wonder if the Colobus would be better suited to the current Spider Monkey or Mandrill areas?
    I hear what you & Gigit are saying, I agree & sympathise. However, I work in a local S Hams school where the number of children on Free School Meals (basic poverty) is three & a half times greater than the national average. For most of them, this will be their only opportunity to access a modern zoological collection. Schools are skint and have less staff than 3 years ago. Most of the accompanying adults will probably be untrained volunteers. The schools and the zoo management probably need to collaborate to ensure there is some immediate on site briefing of zoo etiquette and a way to forewarn non school visitors of the 'clash'? Poor behaviour is predominantly a parental problem and mostly attributable to government cuts impacting jobs causing poor staff ratios. If I were a member of PZ's management team, I'd attempt to create a timed 'carousel' of events (workshops/presentations/activities) at various in-zoo venues for the visiting schools and then highlight quiet zones and time slots for none school guests.

14. TriUK

....and of course, I'd offer a free return or complimentary coffee or something for non school visitors to acknowledge the potential negative impact, but, most importantly, balance loyalty to members/paying public with education.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  15. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Poor behaviour is not predominately a parental problem, it is the responsibility of the school. The behaviour of school groups is VERY variable. We have actually written formal letters of complaint to head-teachers. As an aside, many years ago I was in the Curator of Mammals office in Antwerp Zoo, and on the wall was a map of the general area. Black dots were sprinkled quite liberally over what appeared to be mainly adjacent areas of northern France. On asking what they were for, I was told that they were banned schools. We have not had to go that far, yet...

16. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

@TriUK - I appreciate that educational visits are part of a zoo's work, and indeed necessary for their charity status. Unfortunately this week, there appears to be no educational content at all in these visits, no work sheets being filled in, no guidance from adults. To the uninformed, it looks like a jolly day off school where they can do what they want while the 'supervisors' sit around the restaurant. At the very least the zoo could insist that they are accompanied around the zoo. I worked with pre-school children for a while and know that adult:children ratios exist. If they were in force for the coach trip, surely they should also apply while the children are in the zoo? It's a perennial problem in July :(

TriUK and Pertinax like this.
  17. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

My secondary school always had an 'activity day' at the end of the year for the younger years - this was a day when different teachers arranged different trips and the pupils could pick the one they wanted to go on (I did 2x Twycross, 1x Drayton Manor!). There was no pretence that this was an educational day (though some of the visits were to educational places) - it was really just a morale boost/reward for the good kids and a bribe/blackmail material for the not-so-good ones. Not sure if this is still a thing.

Brum, TriUK, Pertinax and 1 other person like this.
  18. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Its certainly a perennial problem. I remember a visit to Chester in the 1980's with my two small children at exactly this time of year. Hordes of secondary schoool children were running amok through the zoo throughout the day, without any supervision whatsoever, until they all re-boarded their coaches at 3.p.m. and peace returned to the zoo. We actually complained about our spoilt day but of course there was no redress and I've never seen Chester zoo on a day like that before or since. I would certainly avoid any zoo visit at this time again.

I think the problem is that school visits at this time of year are more about mere 'end of term' outings than focusing on education, so less attention is given to discipline or what the children are actually doing, than at other times. As it seems Maguari has just confirmed above!

TriUK and Maguari like this.
  19. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yep, my family still go to secondary school & they have similar recreational visits at the end of each year, although now it seems to be more focused on having a perfect attendance as oppose to just being well-behaved.

Pertinax and Maguari like this.
  20. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Thankfully, today was quieter. Maybe the zoo could consider limiting the number of children in on any one day - I heard there were 10 schools in a week or so ago :eek: Or fill the zoo with them on one day in July and put a warning on social media that other visitors might prefer to come on another day.

Credit where it's due - there were some supervised primary children in and it was refreshing to hear the differences between white and black rhinos being explained to them. They were in uniform, unlike the teenagers we've seen on other days, and there was an air of it being an educational visit.

TriUK likes this.