Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 8 Jan 2019.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think they are both very flighty and very agile animals. I presume that the veterinary work included foot trimming and TB testing and that the extra fencing added around their hardstanding was intended to prevent them from getting out during treatment, but obviously with limited success. See the photos from Gigit and myself in the Paignton gallery.

pangolin12 likes this.
  2. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They really are incredible animals - to vertically scale the fence plus the additional netting is truly something!! In a weird way, the escape now places the Tur at more risk of catching TB, negating the measures in place to prevent contact!
    Good luck to all the amazing staff ☘️

pangolin12 likes this.
  3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Tur News - from the zoo's FB page:

"*TUR UPDATE*
    We're pleased to share with you that our female tur is now back safe and well.
    Yesterday evening, the tur was located in a neighbouring garden to the Zoo. Our staff went up right away, and waited for police supervision before safely tranquilising her. After jumping back into Zoo grounds, the vets and keepers were then able to collect the tur and return her safely to her paddock and the herd. We are all glad she is now safe after her brief adventure.
    Thank you to our neighbours, the police and to everyone who has been involved and shown support!"

( I'm afraid I can't help noticing these grammar blips - why did the vets and keepers jump back into the Zoo grounds ;))

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

( I'm afraid I can't help noticing these grammar blips - why did the vets and keepers jump back into the Zoo grounds ;))[/QUOTE]

:D:D I saw another one recently on a website 'come and meat our animals'...:eek:

Gigit and ShonenJake13 like this.
  5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The mind boggles!

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Mar 2019
  6. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Presumably it only applies to meating carnivores.

Gigit likes this.
  7. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

My favourite one was from (I think) an Australian zoo following an escape, that included a line to note that the most recent previous escapee 'predated all the current keeping staff'...

Pre-dated, one hopes.

EDIT: Now I've said that I'm not sure it was an official release, but I remember a momentary shock at reading it..!

gentle lemur and Gigit like this.
  8. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bruce has been moved to the nocturnal house today - apparently the other half of the house is still being prepared for a different animal (hope for the kiwi...)

TNT and Brum like this.
  9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I was about to mention this having seen his feeder and crate gone, his light off and no recent sign of his figure of eight circuit or toilet having been used! Being in the nocturnal house will take him a bit of getting used to. I've seen bird keepers around the house so I'm fairly sure that the Kiwi is moving in too.

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Turs - I haven't been able to see them since the last escapade. Either the gate was shut or the house was, with no animals visible. Today the gate was locked and a sign instructed 'Do Not Enter Without Authorisation'.

11. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Were you at the zoo today?! Maybe we passed each other!

Gigit likes this.
  12. TriUK

This worries me...., with regards to the dreaded TB? I know they were the last group of stock to be tested. Hopefully its just the escapism....

Gigit likes this.
  13. TriUK

I had noticed when visiting Shaldon at the weekend that they had their new Bettong split into two groups and they had quite a few! Do you think they could be 'holding' some for Paignton while the TB issue is continuing? I know they have a special relationship with the Whitley group of zoos.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Could someone please tell me where the nocturnal house is? Thank you!

15. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I am excited for the prospect of the Kiwi moving in but I am also very glad I got to see Bruce in his outside enclosure. I assume he will be behind glass in the nocturnal house which just won't be the same are seeing / hearing him trundling around the outside enclosure.

Kifaru Bwana, Brum, TNT and 1 other person like this.
  16. polarbear

polarbear Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Up the main drive towards the giraffe. Opposite the zebra paddock. It’s where the meerkat were before their recent move.

TNT and Zia like this.
  17. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Looking through the zoo's website to see if an Annual Report has been produced recently, I came across this:

"TUR QUARRY AREA CLOSURE
    As our tur are currently off show, our quarry area where the herd live is currently unavailable for guests to access. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

I'm none the wiser really and can only assume that they are being kept indoors until the fence is altered.

18. Pertinax

Yes, its most inconvenient....:D

No more news about the 'changes' they hinted at around Xmas time?

19. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I feel more disappointed than inconvenienced! The Tur exhibit is one of my favourite parts of the zoo.

The 'changes' must be the WWCT's name change mentioned on the Living Coast's thread. Wow.

TriUK likes this.
  20. Pertinax

If it is this, why haven't they made a proper announcement yet, having 'trailed' it earlier...