Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 8 Jan 2019.

1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Personally, I think that's rather sad; I liked the fact that the organisation's name commemorated the zoo's founder, Herbet Whitley.

Ned, pipaluk, Giant Panda and 4 others like this.
  3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

mmm. 'Wild Planet Trust'... What does it mean? I agree about the loss of the 'Whitley' reference being a pity, but they've tried to make it less of a mouthful, haven't they, and more 'trendy'- and younger folk identify with 'Planet' after the recent T.V shows I guess.

More interesting to me was the part at the end about the TB, and confirming the Savanah has been shelved and they are concentrating on making(some) enclosures badger-proof instead.

Last edited: 1 May 2019
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It's a shame they couldn't have hung on to the Herbert Whitley reference until the zoo's centenary in 2023.

A couple of points regarding the Herald Express article (which might make me fall victim to the Dunning-Kruger effect) - " but the rules which govern us are the same as those which govern farms". Why are zoos treated the same as farms? Shouldn't the zoo be campaigning for separate rules? And, " the badgers were here first and we have to live with them". Unfortunately, while 'we' can live with them, some of the zoo's endangered animals haven't been allowed to.

Brum and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks Gigit for posting this. I saw the release on their website earlier but remained underwhelmed. I found the 'land for housing' quote interesting! I wonder if the Trust has ever come under pressure to move to an out of town site? It would break my heart if that ever happened!

I'm glad Simon feels the TB crisis is almost at an end. It's been so hard for everyone.

Hopefully better times ahead........

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

'Land for housing' - what a horrific thought :eek: I believe Herbert Whitley donated Clennon Valley to the people of Paignton and have always hoped that there was a clause forbidding future development. The actual zoo site is so beautiful and must be the envy of many a zoo director. HW left us the wonderful legacy of all the trees he planted and you would think they'd have preservation orders on them.

Fingers crossed that the zoo will be back to normal by next year.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Apparently there's a pair of Black-crowned night herons in the Brookside Aviary. They must have been well-hidden yesterday as I failed to spot them.

9. Bromeliad

Bromeliad Member

If it's any consolation, I think the majority of the staff hate it too.

Tim May, pipaluk and StoppableSan like this.
  10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It must just be the directors who are excited then. It seems pointless and also an unnecessary expense when the zoo has a lot of problems to deal with - TB etc. No matter what the Trust calls itself, surely locals will still refer to 'the zoo' and other visitors to 'Paignton Zoo'.

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

In the restaurant this morning I was surprised to be served coffee in a cup emblazoned with a logo 'Zoorabica Coffee Wild Planet Blend' o_O

StoppableSan and TriUK like this.
  12. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

A pileated gibbon was born on 5 May, Hantu x Shukdi.

A female red panda called Ember is on show. I don't know her origins.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think Ember has come from Shepreth

Kifaru Bwana and Gigit like this.
  14. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm going to be at Paignton today, first time in 3 years. What are the chances of seeing everyone's favourite echidna in his new home?

TNT likes this.
  15. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very good. I would advise an early visit to the Nocturnal House, as I have had good views when he has been active in the morning before they turn all the lights out. I have also seen him active in the dark, but he may be asleep under his heat lamp at that time.

16. Crowthorne

Thank you @gentle lemur unfortunately am not due to arrive till lunchtime, hopefully Bruce will decide to come out this afternoon :)

17. Crowthorne

Well it was lovely to revisit Paignton today. Saw Bruce, although it's a shame he's not in his old enclosure any more. Was nice to see Duchess is still going, how old is she now? Shame the turs are inaccessible, but the takins were showing well. There are definitely some gaps evident, I'm guessing this is the TB restrictions in place. The bird collection is looking very good, and the Desert House is just as good as I remember (plus now it has budgies, and budgies make everything better :) )

Last edited: 23 May 2019
    TNT, Gigit, Tim May and 3 others like this.
  18. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The African elephant "Duchess" has been at Paignton Zoo since 1977; she was previously at Longleat. I believe she is about forty-nine years old.

Crowthorne, TriUK and pipaluk like this.
  19. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The pileated gibbon born on 5 May is female.

20. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

New-style bird signs are going up around the zoo and I've just added a lot of photos of them to the Gallery. I think they demonstrate the direction the new Wild Planet Trust might be taking - rather dumbed down and lacking in scientific information. That said, visitors were looking at them, although in some cases it might have been just because I was photographing them.