Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza Pairi Daiza News 2022

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by GreatApeFan7, 3 Jan 2022.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Unfortunately when I visited on week days in mid-September, that restaurant was closed. During a week it might be open, but I think only if the weather is good enough and there will be enough people in the park.

I don't know how recent you visited, but the Thai restaurant with terrariums in the Mersus Emergo reptile house ship only opened in early 2022. Until 2021 there was only a small restaurant without terrariums in the Mersus Emergo.

2. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks, I think we visited at least half a dozen times over the two days, even before the gates officially opened, and saw them twice - once briefly at the top of the aviary before they flew in, and once on the branches at the back near the entrance.

I said that with such confidence, but I've just checked ZTL to see who else holds them (I've only ever seen them in Slimbridge before) but PD aren't listed as holders... Do I have a photograph? No. Be good if someone could confirm that they are mudpuppies and I'm not going mad misidentifying axolotls.

Closed it might be, but you might be able to sneak under the barrier to have a quick look at the terraria if you were so inclined.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited( it was pre-pandemic) specifically to see this species, one I've wanted to see a very long time. I expected to see them straight away and of course I didn't. After two unsuccessful visits to the aviary I began to panic-wasn't expecting this, did they ever come out....? Fortunately on the third visit they were outside and they stayed out all the time I was there, but nearly always very high up. They were also out when I re-entered the next morning. I think I was probably lucky in the event. When the keeper handfed them they came down to him very confidently.

Spix is strange, halfway to being a conure I think and their behaviour is perhaps rather similar. The Lears on the other hand are a more typical 'big' macaw- they perch on their branches etc and show themselves easily like other larger macaws.

4. KevinB

Personally I have seen the Spix's on all of my five visits (four of which were two-day visits) since 2019, but there have been several instances where multiple passes were needed, and sometimes getting even a half-decent photograph was very difficult or impossible.

Lota lota and Pertinax like this.
  5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I seen Spix Macaws few days after they arrived, and they seemed very scared of being held in a relatively small aviary near the main visitor passage area. They spent most of the time clutching to the mesh away from visitors. If they are still there, I recommend going there first time in the morning. They really need a large aviary in a less visited part of the zoo, maybe near the eagle complex.

Lota lota and Bengal Tiger like this.
  6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think the aviary falls very short of good design. The birds do tend to cling on the mesh high up but I don't think its from shyness as they did it right at the front nearest visitors. They also cling on the ceiling mesh when they play. As I mentioned above they are mostly handraised and I saw them come down and take food from a keeper's hand. I think in the wild they like to perch very high up and somehow clinging on the wire is the nearest they can get to that. A much longer, better designed flight aviary might show them off better.

KevinB likes this.
  7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On Nov. 26 a Guereza was born at Pairi Daiza :).

8. KevinB

The aviaries and bird houses at Pairi Daiza will soon reopen, after testing has found no further cases of avian influenza and the authorities have allowed the lifting of quarantine measures taken after early November's avian influenza outbreak in the Australian pelican group. The pelicans will however remain indoors for the time being, and additional hygienic measures will be taken where needed.

Pairi Daiza NL Facebook post